What identification do I need if not using a passport?

Samantha471

28 minutes ago, MicCanberra said:

I do not know how much a passport is in the US but surely it is so much easier and it makes travel so much better if using passports rather than a driver's licence, especially here in Australia where nearly every cruise requires a passport anyway.

I've now traveled on cruises with drivers license/birth certificate and with a passport= zero difference in processing time or making anything "better" or "easier". US citizens do have a choice when it comes to travel documentation and they should choose the documentation that best meets their needs. FWIW a passport costs $110 plus a $35 execution fee plus whatever it costs for your photo (typically $10-20) plus $15.89 if you want 1 to 2 day delivery of your completed passport, which is all more than the zero the OP needs to spend to use the documents already in her possession. 

25 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I've now traveled on cruises with drivers license/birth certificate and with a passport= zero difference in processing time or making anything "better" or "easier".

And I've traveled on cruiselines that require a passport, even for closed loop voyages. 

So unless you are only sailing on lines where there is no requirement for a passport AND you are only sailing on qualifying closed-loop itineraries AND you have no intention of doing any other kind of international travel AND you are willing to accept the difficulties that may ensue from your lack of a passport (such as air travel in an emergency or a cruiseline/immigration giving you a hassle) - get the passport.

3 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

And I've traveled on cruiselines that require a passport, even for closed loop voyages. 

So unless you are only sailing on lines where there is no requirement for a passport AND you are only sailing on qualifying closed-loop itineraries AND you have no intention of doing any other kind of international travel AND you are willing to accept the difficulties that may ensue from your lack of a passport (such as air travel in an emergency or a cruiseline/immigration giving you a hassle) - get the passport.

Amen!!!

My cruise line of choice requires a passport for all cruises.

I can't imagine leaving the borders of the USA without a passport.

2 hours ago, FlyerTalker said:

I only sailed on lines that didn't require a passport (still do), I only sailed on closed loop cruises (still do), while we intended to cruise internationally by air we had no idea if or when that would happen (6 years after we started cruising) and were perfectly willing to accept any difficulties IF something happened, the odds of which were very low for us. Everyone's travel needs and patterns are different and everyone's tolerance of risk is different.

2 hours ago, Texas Tillie said:

Amen!!!

My cruise line of choice requires a passport for all cruises.

I can't imagine leaving the borders of the USA without a passport.

I traveled quite extensively without a passport and didn't need a passport for my travels until 2015, so leaving the US without a passport is no huge deal to me (which I did a couple of weeks ago when I drove to Montreal, saw no reason to get the passport out of the safe deposit box).

2 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

I've now traveled on cruises with drivers license/birth certificate and with a passport= zero difference in processing time or making anything "better" or "easier". US citizens do have a choice when it comes to travel documentation and they should choose the documentation that best meets their needs. FWIW a passport costs $110 plus a $35 execution fee plus whatever it costs for your photo (typically $10-20) plus $15.89 if you want 1 to 2 day delivery of your completed passport, which is all more than the zero the OP needs to spend to use the documents already in her possession. 

Okay, so not expensive when spread over the ten years but more expensive than other documentation. I would think travel and cruising would be limited without having a passport.

In Australia, the passport gets swiped at check in, even for domestic cruises where as Driver' licences need to be photocopied.

the passport is much quicker and easier.

1 minute ago, MicCanberra said:

Okay, so not expensive when spread over the ten years but more expensive than other documentation. Do you need a passport for Mexico or Canada because I would think cruising would be limited only to the Caribbean.

In Australia, the passport gets swiped at check in, even for domestic cruises where as Driver' licences need to be photocopied.

the passport is much quicker and easier.

US citizens may use a drivers license and birth certificate for cruises involving Canada and Mexico but most cruises do involve the Caribbean (at least on the east coast) but cruises also go to the Bahamas and Bermuda and the alternates work there, too. When we started cruising it would have cost us $850 for passports and I saw no sense spending that kind of money for a 4 day cruise because it can't be spread out over 10 years, it must be paid in full up front (and for kids under 16 they are only good for 5 years). As I said, I've noticed no discernable difference in processing times with or without a passport.

51 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I traveled quite extensively without a passport and didn't need a passport for my travels until 2015, so leaving the US without a passport is no huge deal to me (which I did a couple of weeks ago when I drove to Montreal, saw no reason to get the passport out of the safe deposit box).

You weren’t required to have proof of citizenship to re-enter the US?  Have been told passport/passport card required at the border between US and Canada. Don’t understand how you did on just a driver’s license. 

42 minutes ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

You weren’t required to have proof of citizenship to re-enter the US?  Have been told passport/passport card required at the border between US and Canada. Don’t understand how you did on just a driver’s license. 

The poster has an Enhanced Drivers License, which is valid for land border crossings between the US and Canada. What you were told about needing a passport or passport card is incorrect. An EDL, if your state issues one, is also valid . 

9 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

They may also be used for cruises within the WHTI, both closed loop and open jaw. Should the family later decide to get passports they would be able to use the renewal process by mail if they had passport cards. I'd personally go with what I had, but it's a decision only the OP can make. 

They can also be used as valid ID at TSA check points, so while you can't use them for immigration on international flights, you can use them for flying domestically. That's useful if you haven't gotten a RealID driver's license yet.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

All of my foreign travel pre-2009 was in the Navy and I didn't need or use a passport (there may have been trips to Canada that at the time didn't require additional documents). 2009 to 2015 were closed loop cruises and used DL/BC or EDL. As njhorseman points out I do have an EDL and that is what I now use to cross into Canada. My point in my previous post is that my travel history is different than others and leaving the country without a passport has never been a big deal.

7 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Certainly couldn't do that in many other countries.

If you mean other countries don't give their citizens choices of travel documentation I would think you are right, but as I understand it those that live in the Schengen (sp) area in Europe aren't required to have a passport to travel between countries. And I would hope that most military services don't require their members to have passports but I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

On 11/13/2018 at 6:30 AM, sparks1093 said:

If you mean other countries don't give their citizens choices of travel documentation I would think you are right, but as I understand it those that live in the Schengen (sp) area in Europe aren't required to have a passport to travel between countries. And I would hope that most military services don't require their members to have passports but I wouldn't be surprised if that were the case.

Most other countries have national ID cards, which are required to have.  In the EU (even between Schengen and non-Schengen), one can travel on a national ID card.  Entering and leaving the EU requires a passport.

9 minutes ago, SRF said:

Most other countries have national ID cards, which are required to have.  In the EU (even between Schengen and non-Schengen), one can travel on a national ID card.  Entering and leaving the EU requires a passport.

Sounds like an EDL/EID.

On 11/12/2018 at 3:35 PM, sparks1093 said:

I know you are a big proponent for advocating against passports, but you have not had your name change twice since you were born.

As someone who has a different name than when I was born, I will say that it takes much longer for the security check on the way out and on the way back. This isn't just the matter of having a birth certificate and a photo ID. This is three additional documents for the OP.

Passport or EDL is the only way I would travel in your situation, OP. The chance of losing those documents you have to bring is too high for my risk allowance.

Also, remember that you need a certified copy of each birth certificate, marriage license, and divorce decree for yourself and the other members of your party. RCCL does not accept photocopies.

5 minutes ago, dreadpirate3 said:

I know you are a big proponent for advocating against passports, but you have not had your name change twice since you were born.

As someone who has a different name than when I was born, I will say that it takes much longer for the security check on the way out and on the way back. This isn't just the matter of having a birth certificate and a photo ID. This is three additional documents for the OP.

Passport or EDL is the only way I would travel in your situation, OP. The chance of losing those documents you have to bring is too high for my risk allowance.

Also, remember that you need a certified copy of each birth certificate, marriage license, and divorce decree for yourself and the other members of your party. RCCL does not accept photocopies.

I am big proponent of people making up their own minds regarding what travel documentation to use, what they choose to use matters to me not at all. Bringing copies of a few extra documents doesn't seem as onerous as spending hundreds of dollars on a document that is not needed for a trip. AFAIK Royal complies with the DHS regulations which do allow for photocopies of birth certificates and are completely silent regarding any bridge documents. (And my DW has had her name changed twice in her lifetime and all we ever brought was her naturalization certificate and drivers license except one time we brought our marriage license which we never had to show to anyone.)

Edited by sparks1093

Direct from RCCL

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/united-states-citizen-travel-documentation

What travel documents do I need to board a Royal Caribbean cruise ship (U.S. Citizens)?

For US Sailings -

US Citizens need a copy of their official Birth Certificate and a supporting Government Issued Photo ID, Hospital Birth Certificates are not accepted (baby feet Birth Certificates). We highly recommend guest sail with their valid US Passport book with 6 months validity past their cruise. For additional United States passport information visit the United States Department of State travel information website. Visa Central is the passport and visa service that we recommend, should our guests need passport and visa assistance. You may contact Visa Central for all your passport needs. Visa Central can obtain passports in as little as one day. US Citizens, please contact VisaCentral online, email rci@visacentral.com or call 800-858-8579, and be sure to reference Royal Caribbean account 44988 for reduced service fees.

It is important that the name on your reservation be exactly as it is stated on your passport or other official proof of nationality. If your name has changed since your document was issued (e.g., marriage or divorce), it is required that you update the document with the new name or provide an official supporting document (e.g., a state, county or province issued marriage license, divorce decree or legal name change document) of the name change. All documents must be the original or a notarized copy. Additionally, if you are using an identification (e.g., driver's license) and a citizenship document ( e.g., birth certificate), then BOTH documents must match the name on your reservation. Otherwise, it may result in delay or possible denial of boarding.

I had to provide my marriage license as a bridging document my first two cruises, then I got a passport.

38 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

I am big proponent of people making up their own minds regarding what travel documentation to use, what they choose to use matters to me not at all. Bringing copies of a few extra documents doesn't seem as onerous as spending hundreds of dollars on a document that is not needed for a trip. AFAIK Royal complies with the DHS regulations which do allow for photocopies of birth certificates and are completely silent regarding any bridge documents. (And my DW has had her name changed twice in her lifetime and all we ever brought was her naturalization certificate and drivers license except one time we brought our marriage license which we never had to show to anyone.)

RC does not allow photo copies of birth certificates unless they are notarized. Their website indicates originals only,  but many people have said that they used notarized copies or copies issued by government offices with official stamp.  They will not accept personal photo copies of documents. 

10 minutes ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

RC does not allow photo copies of birth certificates unless they are notarized. Their website indicates originals only,  but many people have said that they used notarized copies or copies issued by government offices with official stamp.  They will not accept personal photo copies of documents. 

"United States citizens on cruises that begin and end at the same port in the United States can use a original government-issued picture ID (i.e. driver's license) AND an original government-issued birth certificate or original Naturalization Certificate", doesn't say that a copy won't be accepted. I recall reading at least one cruise with Royal that was saved because a copy of the birth certificate was faxed to the port. In any event I consider a copy to be a backup document in case something happens to the original.

52 minutes ago, dreadpirate3 said:

Direct from RCCL

https://www.royalcaribbean.com/faq/questions/united-states-citizen-travel-documentation

What travel documents do I need to board a Royal Caribbean cruise ship (U.S. Citizens)?

For US Sailings -

US Citizens need a copy of their official Birth Certificate and a supporting Government Issued Photo ID, Hospital Birth Certificates are not accepted (baby feet Birth Certificates). We highly recommend guest sail with their valid US Passport book with 6 months validity past their cruise. For additional United States passport information visit the United States Department of State travel information website. Visa Central is the passport and visa service that we recommend, should our guests need passport and visa assistance. You may contact Visa Central for all your passport needs. Visa Central can obtain passports in as little as one day. US Citizens, please contact VisaCentral online, email rci@visacentral.com or call 800-858-8579, and be sure to reference Royal Caribbean account 44988 for reduced service fees.

It is important that the name on your reservation be exactly as it is stated on your passport or other official proof of nationality. If your name has changed since your document was issued (e.g., marriage or divorce), it is required that you update the document with the new name or provide an official supporting document (e.g., a state, county or province issued marriage license, divorce decree or legal name change document) of the name change. All documents must be the original or a notarized copy. Additionally, if you are using an identification (e.g., driver's license) and a citizenship document ( e.g., birth certificate), then BOTH documents must match the name on your reservation. Otherwise, it may result in delay or possible denial of boarding.

I had to provide my marriage license as a bridging document my first two cruises, then I got a passport.

At least they spell out the requirement for additional documents, neither CCL nor NCL do.

19 hours ago, sparks1093 said:

Sounds like an EDL/EID.

They work in a similar fashion for international travel, but these are national ID cards.  EVERY ONE must have one at all times.  

Penalties for not renewing or not having on your person at all times.

15 hours ago, dreadpirate3 said:

Direct from RCCL

For US Sailings -

US Citizens need a copy of their official Birth Certificate and ....

However, later it states 

15 hours ago, dreadpirate3 said:

All documents must be the original or a notarized copy.

I can see confusion at check in.

I would bring at original or notarized copy.

BTW, I recently ordered two new original BCs through Vital Chek.  It took maybe 10 minutes to complete the request.  A week to get them, and cost $45 (second one is cheaper, so I got two).