Buying liquor for cabin consumption

bobnfl

On 11/15/2018 at 2:29 AM, TravelDan99 said:

It's not so much of a problem carrying a room purchased cocktail in a glass you made yourself outside the cabin, (you're not supposed to, but....) the main issue is if you carried the bottle around.

A few couples last night were sitting in the show lounge drinking their bottle of wine during the performance without any problem. 

1 hour ago, theduffys said:

How does the Premier beverage package work?  Will we have a special card to use?  Must we still add a 15% gratuity for each drink ordered? Can we use it to order spirits from room service?  Got this a a promotion when we booked.

Cannot be used for any type of room service. The gratuity is already figured in with the package.

I agree, look at the terms on the Princess website.

1 hour ago, theduffys said:

How does the Premier beverage package work?  Will we have a special card to use?  Must we still add a 15% gratuity for each drink ordered? Can we use it to order spirits from room service?  Got this a a promotion when we booked.

To answer your questions, the premium beverage package is added to your cruise card, there is no separate drink card.  15% is always added to your package but is part of the deal (it’s already in it).  You CANNOT use it to buy bottled spirits.  You will get a 25% discount on bottled wine but you still pay extra.  Wine by the glass is covered, just like spirits and mixed drinks are covered.  

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting fact is that the patter now states that they are not responsible for any alcoholic beverages confiscated by shoreside security staff. 

Such items are not eligible for monetary refund or replacement. 

So much for turning in liquor to have them hold it.

I have a more complex question...

I would like to use up some OBC to buy a small bottle of spirits.  And, you can't pay with OBC before you board.

So,  can I assume that this would be the same price onboard that it would be to pre-order.

(Just found out that can't use OBC to save by pre-ordering the Medallion Net WIFI - so paid up front.)

Also, if you pre-order, or order onboard, while in Port,  then they will add taxes, right?

16 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

Interesting fact is that the patter now states that they are not responsible for any alcoholic beverages confiscated by shoreside security staff. 

turning in for hold, and having "confiscated" are very clearly two different things ... :classic_dry:

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, MissP22 said:

This is nothing new, it’s been in the Passage Contact for several years now (see attached).  It is at the discretion of security & ship staff before you bring any alcohol on board (other than that allowed in the contract_.  Princess is stating if you try it you are doing it at your own risk.  And BTW, the Patter is not an official source.  The only legal source is your cruise documents and maritime laws.  

B8E48F02-588A-40B8-B8DA-7F722F7F5304.jpeg

On 11/15/2018 at 2:29 AM, TravelDan99 said:

It's not so much of a problem carrying a room purchased cocktail in a glass you made yourself outside the cabin, (you're not supposed to, but....) the main issue is if you carried the liquor bottle around.

On my last cruise, I was sitting in the smoking lounge - there was a group of 4 guys with a bottle of Crown Royal that they were passing around.  I don't know who reported them (wasn't me!!  I'm guessing it was a bar steward), but a ship's officer showed up and told them that they had to return the bottle to their room.  So, the ship's personnel are on the lookout for the bottles - I'm sure they don't care if you are consuming a drink you've made in the room. 

15 hours ago, OR_Cowboy_1952 said:

This is nothing new, it’s been in the Passage Contact for several years now (see attached).  It is at the discretion of security & ship staff before you bring any alcohol on board (other than that allowed in the contract_.  Princess is stating if you try it you are doing it at your own risk.  And BTW, the Patter is not an official source.  The only legal source is your cruise documents and maritime laws.  

B8E48F02-588A-40B8-B8DA-7F722F7F5304.jpeg

Oh I now see that. Do people actually read that?:classic_laugh:

• Like 1

18 hours ago, MissP22 said:

I think the key word here is "shoreside."  Shoreside security is usually the local government, not the cruise line.  You don't encounter Princess security until you are "on board."  When you turn in the liquor at the metal detectors on board you are giving it to Princess, not "shoreside security."  I think the patter is letting you know that Princess won't try to get your liquor back if it is confiscated by the local officials.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Daniel A said:

I think the key word here is "shoreside."  Shoreside security is usually the local government, not the cruise line.  You don't encounter Princess security until you are "on board."  When you turn in the liquor at the metal detectors on board you are giving it to Princess, not "shoreside security."  I think the patter is letting you know that Princess won't try to get your liquor back if it is confiscated by the local officials.

I don't believe I've ever uncounted shoreside security. Sounds like a scam to collect my liquor thinking it was turned into Princess. 

23 hours ago, Wishing on a star said:

I have a more complex question...

I would like to use up some OBC to buy a small bottle of spirits.  And, you can't pay with OBC before you board.

So,  can I assume that this would be the same price onboard that it would be to pre-order.

(Just found out that can't use OBC to save by pre-ordering the Medallion Net WIFI - so paid up front.)

Also, if you pre-order, or order onboard, while in Port,  then they will add taxes, right?

No additional local taxes on anything that is pre-ordered.

Local taxes while the ship is docked. It depends on the port. Here are some examples:

Bar drink while docked in F.L., local taxes added.

Soda & More package purchased while docked in F.L., hand written receipt, processed in system after sailing, no local taxes.

Room Service, probably no local taxes.

Bar drink at Princess Cays - VAT tax added.

Answer - just wait until you sail. 

• 9 months later...

Can anyone confirm, from personal experience, they were able to order a .375 bottle of liquor for cabin consumption once the ship had sailed? We always order liquor prior to our cruises as we rarely drink anywhere else. For us, our evening cocktail, a freshly made and then consumed on the balcony is our "nirvana". However, I'm still trying to figure out exactly how many of those small bottles I will need for our cruise. I'd like to order the minimum, then an additional bottle or two if my expectations were too conservative. 😉

I know I can purchase wine once on board for cabin delivery, and I know the policies concerning the liquor bought in the shops on board or on shore. My question is just about cabin delivery of liquor bottles once the ship has sailed. It always gives me a good feeling to hear from someone who's actually done it. 😎 In this case, I'd trust a fellow cruiser much more than a call to someone at Princess.com.....those of you who have called Princess know what I mean..........:classic_ohmy:

I doubt it makes a difference, but we're scheduled for the Crown, Grand and Ruby; but I suspect the policy is the same for each.

Thanks,

Doug

34 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Can anyone confirm, from personal experience, they were able to order a .375 bottle of liquor for cabin consumption once the ship had sailed? We always order liquor prior to our cruises as we rarely drink anywhere else. For us, our evening cocktail, a freshly made and then consumed on the balcony is our "nirvana". However, I'm still trying to figure out exactly how many of those small bottles I will need for our cruise. I'd like to order the minimum, then an additional bottle or two if my expectations were too conservative. 😉

I know I can purchase wine once on board for cabin delivery, and I know the policies concerning the liquor bought in the shops on board or on shore. My question is just about cabin delivery of liquor bottles once the ship has sailed. It always gives me a good feeling to hear from someone who's actually done it. 😎 In this case, I'd trust a fellow cruiser much more than a call to someone at Princess.com.....those of you who have called Princess know what I mean..........:classic_ohmy:

I doubt it makes a difference, but we're scheduled for the Crown, Grand and Ruby; but I suspect the policy is the same for each.

Thanks,

Doug

I found the answer on another thread in the Princess forum. Apparently the answer is "yes". I'd still like to hear from anyone with recent experience, including if your pre-ordered bottle was there when you first got to your cabin. It appears it will not be. I did pre-order 2 bottles a few years ago on Princess, and at that time I had a card in my cabin saying I had pre-ordered, but now had to call Room Service (I think) to have it delivered. I also recall I could only have one bottle per day delivered. Anyone confirm that?

Doug

18 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

I found the answer on another thread in the Princess forum. Apparently the answer is "yes". I'd still like to hear from anyone with recent experience, including if your pre-ordered bottle was there when you first got to your cabin. It appears it will not be. I did pre-order 2 bottles a few years ago on Princess, and at that time I had a card in my cabin saying I had pre-ordered, but now had to call Room Service (I think) to have it delivered. I also recall I could only have one bottle per day delivered. Anyone confirm that?

Doug

As far as I know it has nothing to do with the ship sailing.

It has more to do with getting them to answer the room service phone and placing the order.

They are extremely busy on turnaround day.

One way or the other we have got it done by late afternoon.

Have never heard of a per day limit. Not that I have ever tested that.  🤔

We have ordered more than one per day in the past with no issues.

I always pre-order liquor prior to the cruise and always have multiple bottles delivered on the first day by room service. Have always gotten a card in the room and had to call and an adult must be in the room when it is delivered. 

Have never tried to order during the cruise and would love to hear someones personal experience.

2 hours ago, Colo Cruiser said:

As far as I know it has nothing to do with the ship sailing.

It has more to do with getting them to answer the room service phone and placing the order.

They are extremely busy on turnaround day.

One way or the other we have got it done by late afternoon.

Have never heard of a per day limit. Not that I have ever tested that.  🤔

We have ordered more than one per day in the past with no issues.

Sounds like it's smart to order at least one bottle for cabin delivery and hope room service will deliver day or departure. In any event, we will have wine we're brought with us just in case.

I had ordered two bottles on my last Princess cruise about 4 years ago for pre- sail delivery. I had a card in the room as I said earlier....when I asked for both bottles to be delivered, the fellow said only one per day. Odd, maybe just that guy. That could be a problem if you have a group of folks, but it was just me that time.

28 minutes ago, PaperSniper4 said:

Sounds like it's smart to order at least one bottle for cabin delivery and hope room service will deliver day or departure. In any event, we will have wine we're brought with us just in case.

I had ordered two bottles on my last Princess cruise about 4 years ago for pre- sail delivery. I had a card in the room as I said earlier....when I asked for both bottles to be delivered, the fellow said only one per day. Odd, maybe just that guy. That could be a problem if you have a group of folks, but it was just me that time.

Even if you pre order you get a voucher in the room . You still have to get through on the phone to order it. So it really doesn’t help. 

That is strange. They are small bottles to boot.