New to Fred

tallulahcruiser

We have cruised with lots of different cruise lines but only just got round to trying Fred.  Not really sure what to expect so I have a few questions.  I know there will be 3 formal nights on our 2 week cruise but not sure if Fred do any theme nights such as black and white or tropical.  Any organised deck games and quizzes.  We have chosen to eat in the small restaurant any thoughts on this, have we made the right choice and is there much difference?  Any gym classes?  Any other tips on what to expect appreciated.  Our cruise is on Boudicca Indian Ocean.

You are likely to get a couple of theme nights including  a British night.  They certainly used to have tropical theme nights but I'm not sure if they have now been abandoned.  There are definitely deck games and up to three quizzes a day: morning, afternoon and evening.  There are dance classes and keep fit classes and there will be a gym.  Hope that helps.

Edited by Coravel

Fred do "British night" on some itineraries and many pax wear any combination of red, white and blue.

HAL do Black and White evenings. There is an onboard theme with these colours that evening and you are invited to wear clothing predominantly in these two colours.

Azamara do White Nights.  That evening is a deck party. Most pax wear predominantly white coloured clothing.

50 minutes ago, Coravel said:

Yes you certainly will.  They will even tell you how many formal evenings you have to prepare for.  

It says 3 formal nights for our 14 night cruise but no mention of theme nights. I expect one of the Formal nights will be New Years Eve.  I am not sure what the celebrations will be but I expect there will be something going on.

Our last cruise was in June on the Braemar.  We had 16 nights and there were three formals and one British.  On previous cruises there would have been another theme night such as Hawaiian or "country and western" but neither transpired in June so it may be that they have abandoned them.  I doubt that any of them will be missed.  

On 11/11/2018 at 5:15 PM, tallulahcruiser said:

We have cruised with lots of different cruise lines but only just got round to trying Fred.  Not really sure what to expect so I have a few questions.  I know there will be 3 formal nights on our 2 week cruise but not sure if Fred do any theme nights such as black and white or tropical.  Any organised deck games and quizzes.  We have chosen to eat in the small restaurant any thoughts on this, have we made the right choice and is there much difference?  Any gym classes?  Any other tips on what to expect appreciated.  Our cruise is on Boudicca Indian Ocean.

Always the theme night is British (has been for years and won't change), but not everyone goes crazy for it now. Some still do, so enjoy it if you wish.

I learnt how to play bridge on my cruise this year. There are at least 3 quizzes a day on sea days. Also joined a singing group where we practised and learnt signing skills then we did a show for the passengers on the final sea day. The gym classes are usually extra money (equipment used and an instructor). There are dance classes, arts & crafts, talks, enrichment. Too much to fit in so look at the daily planner each night and highlight (take a pen with you) what you would like to do. 

Anything else, just ask.

On ‎11‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 11:39 AM, SausPud said:

Always the theme night is British (has been for years and won't change), but not everyone goes crazy for it now. Some still do, so enjoy it if you wish.

I learnt how to play bridge on my cruise this year. There are at least 3 quizzes a day on sea days. Also joined a singing group where we practised and learnt signing skills then we did a show for the passengers on the final sea day. The gym classes are usually extra money (equipment used and an instructor). There are dance classes, arts & crafts, talks, enrichment. Too much to fit in so look at the daily planner each night and highlight (take a pen with you) what you would like to do. 

Anything else, just ask.

Thanks for the reply.  We started to learn to play bridge on Aurora earlier this year.  We were on board for 3 weeks, the start of the world cruise, but we found it was taking up too much of our time and we were missing other things we wanted to do.  I don't think we will be having another attempt at it.  I have the information about theme nights now.  Just the British night.  I am still wondering what the New Years Eve celebrations will be.

They also seem to have abandoned themed cuisine nights such as Indian, Chinese, Thai and Italian.  They would take place in the buffet restaurant which would be decorated appropriately and and the waiters would dress in traditional costume.  Sorry, I've not experienced Christmas or New Year on board.  

New Years Eve Celebrations.

Usually start with a cocktail party with free drinks and nibbles.  Then onto a gala dinner with party hats and blowers on the table.  This is followed by the normal showtime.  Around 11.45 the waiters start to serve complimentary sparkling wine and this continues until the early hours. When the glasses run out they sometimes just leave full bottles on the tables. The rest is up to you.

4 hours ago, Cruising Nomads said:

New Years Eve Celebrations.

Usually start with a cocktail party with free drinks and nibbles.  Then onto a gala dinner with party hats and blowers on the table.  This is followed by the normal showtime.  Around 11.45 the waiters start to serve complimentary sparkling wine and this continues until the early hours. When the glasses run out they sometimes just leave full bottles on the tables. The rest is up to you.

Thank you that sounds great.  I am looking forward to our cruise.