Cribs?

Noahsmom1010

Hi everyone!

This is my very first post! My dad is an active member one here (boblerm) and encouraged me to ask some questions of my own. 

We are going on a family trip on silversea in February. It will be our first time on this line. We have a 2 year old son, and it will be his first cruise!

Does silversea have cribs on board?  If so, are they comfortable for a whole week? We need to know whether or not to bring his pack and play. 

Anyone who has experience cruising with a 2 year old, any tips welcome. 🙂

-Amy 

On 11/11/2018 at 8:18 AM, Noahsmom1010 said:

Hi everyone!

This is my very first post! My dad is an active member one here (boblerm) and encouraged me to ask some questions of my own. 

We are going on a family trip on silversea in February. It will be our first time on this line. We have a 2 year old son, and it will be his first cruise!

Does silversea have cribs on board?  If so, are they comfortable for a whole week? We need to know whether or not to bring his pack and play. 

Anyone who has experience cruising with a 2 year old, any tips welcome. 🙂

-Amy 

The lack of replies here may be due to the fact that Silversea caters to an adult audience and, at least in our experience, is not geared for children (Quote from Silversea FAQs: "There are no special programmes for children of any age on board, and Silversea does not provide for the care, entertainment or supervision of children. Silversea reserves the right to limit the number of children less than 3 years of age."). It sounds like you had better bring what your child will need.

Sadly, this is not a cruise line for children. There is nothing for them. We have sailed with Silversea four times and have seen only two sad little children dragging around with parents in groups of adults.  I hope your little one is well behaved or you’re likely to get “that look” from anyone around! We have cruised with our own child before and would never consider Silversea with a child. Having said that, if you take everything your little one needs and don’t expect entertainment a child would like, or food catering to a two-year-old palate, or any childcare assistance from the cruise line, you could very well have a good time. If your child enjoys opera and jazz, it might work. Good luck!

As my daughter, Amy, is an elementary school teacher, and has little time to post during the school week, I will respond on her behalf.

21 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Which ship and where?

Silver Spectre,We will be on the Spirit in the Caribbean in  February. 

3 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

The lack of replies here may be due to the fact that Silversea caters to an adult audience and, at least in our experience, is not geared for children (Quote from Silversea FAQs: "There are no special programmes for children of any age on board, and Silversea does not provide for the care, entertainment or supervision of children. Silversea reserves the right to limit the number of children less than 3 years of age."). It sounds like you had better bring what your child will need.

2 hours ago, DiscerningTravelers said:

Sadly, this is not a cruise line for children. There is nothing for them. We have sailed with Silversea four times and have seen only two sad little children dragging around with parents in groups of adults.  I hope your little one is well behaved or you’re likely to get “that look” from anyone around! We have cruised with our own child before and would never consider Silversea with a child. Having said that, if you take everything your little one needs and don’t expect entertainment a child would like, or food catering to a two-year-old palate, or any childcare assistance from the cruise line, you could very well have a good time. If your child enjoys opera and jazz, it might work. Good luck!

Silver Sweethearts and DiscerningTravelers, thank you for your response.  We are well aware that Silversea is not a cruise line that caters to young children or provide special programming or supervision for such.  My wife and I are taking our family on a special cruise to celebrate a special occasion, and the main thing is for all of us to be together on a first class cruise line.  There will be 5 adults coming along to help keep our little grandson entertained, while respecting the sensibilities of our fellow passengers.    I am certain that he will not be a "sad little child" on this cruise.  Amy was merely inquiring as to whether anyone who may have traveled with little ones could comment as to the quality of the cribs, or if they would recommend that she bring her own travel accouterments.  

I must say, however, that I am a bit taken aback by DiscerningTraveler's comment about getting "that look".  While this will be our first Silversea cruise, my wife and I have been on many Regent and Crystal cruises, and anytime there has been a little one on board, the passengers seem to take delight in having them and really seem to enjoy them.  We just assumed that Silversea passengers would be of similar mind, were we mistaken?

Bob

Edited by boblerm

1 hour ago, boblerm said:

I must say, however, that I am a bit taken aback by DiscerningTraveler's comment about getting "that look".  While this will be our first Silversea cruise, my wife and I have been on many Regent and Crystal cruises, and anytime there has been a little one on board, the passengers seem to take delight in having them and really seem to enjoy them.  We just assumed that Silversea passengers would be of similar mind, were we mistaken?

Bob

Hi Bob, I was taken aback by that comment as well. When I sailed on the Wind last spring, there were several multi-generational families traveling together during what was clearly spring break for the school children. There were more than 20 small-ish children on board, and although SS doesn't cater to children, the kids were nearly always engaged by their doting families and some of the crew. It was delightful to have them onboard. They behaved well, their parents kept an appropriate watch on them, and their excitement and energy was infectious. It seemed to me that most of the passengers enjoyed their presence. I don't see any reason why you and your family shouldn't have a wonderful time on a rare and lovely holiday together.

• Like 1

I would also discourage sailing on Silversea with very young children. In more than 20 years, I personally have never seen unruly children, but I have seen quite a few very bored ones with anxious parents. When my children/grandchildren were young we took them on Celebrity....an entirely different experience, but the children loved every minute. ( So we did too!) There was always something to do, even for the five year old. The teenage boys played basketball on a top deck, and for the younger ones there was a kids’ club with an excellent staff. I’m not sure if they have a nursery set up for two year olds.

I hope you don’t mistake honest concern for disapproval. Cruising with children can be a terrific experience, but in my view,  you need to research and to choose the right cruise line. Asking questions on any Cruise Critic board is a great way to start.

2 hours ago, CruisinPashmina said:

I would also discourage sailing on Silversea with very young children. In more than 20 years, I personally have never seen unruly children, but I have seen quite a few very bored ones with anxious parents. When my children/grandchildren were young we took them on Celebrity....an entirely different experience, but the children loved every minute. ( So we did too!) There was always something to do, even for the five year old. The teenage boys played basketball on a top deck, and for the younger ones there was a kids’ club with an excellent staff. I’m not sure if they have a nursery set up for two year olds.

I hope you don’t mistake honest concern for disapproval. Cruising with children can be a terrific experience, but in my view,  you need to research and to choose the right cruise line. Asking questions on any Cruise Critic board is a great way to start.

Well said Pashmina. We have very occasionally seen badly behaved children, usually the offspring of badly behaved adults, but not always. We also spent a ‘memorable’ cruise some years ago on SS travelling around South America with ‘screaming Nico’. We do not have children and have no problem with them if they are brought up the way we were, I.e. to be seen but not heard.

12 hours ago, turtlemichael said:

Given the small number of children who travel on Silversea cruises the most reliable information on what is on board is likely to come from Silversea and I'd contact them directly or via your TA. Good luck and have a great family cruise.

Thank you, turtlemichael,

Our TA tells us that Silversea will provide a crib, but I encouraged my daughter to post here, as my experience has been that I will often get more insightful information from CC members than I do from cruise line reps!

Bob

11 hours ago, Unibok said:

Hi Bob, I was taken aback by that comment as well. When I sailed on the Wind last spring, there were several multi-generational families traveling together during what was clearly spring break for the school children. There were more than 20 small-ish children on board, and although SS doesn't cater to children, the kids were nearly always engaged by their doting families and some of the crew. It was delightful to have them onboard. They behaved well, their parents kept an appropriate watch on them, and their excitement and energy was infectious. It seemed to me that most of the passengers enjoyed their presence. I don't see any reason why you and your family shouldn't have a wonderful time on a rare and lovely holiday together.

Unibok, thanks for that perspective and warm wishes.

Bob

9 hours ago, CruisinPashmina said:

CruisinPashima, thank you for your response, and I truly do appreciate your honest concern.  Here's the deal- we are not looking for a cruise that will be a good fit for a 2 year old.  We have booked Silversea because we wanted to take our adult children on a luxury cruise in order to celebrate my wife's milestone birthday with our family.  Our adult children come with a 2 year old.  We know that there is no nursery, babysitting, or activities for children, nor would we likely take advantage of those  if there were.  We merely are trying to get info so that we can prepare by bringing whatever items may not be available.  If someone told us, for example,  that they had a crib for their little one and was perfectly fine, that info would be helpful.  If we were told that the provided crib was not up to snuff, we would want to know that as well.  

Bob

7 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

Well said Pashmina. We have very occasionally seen badly behaved children, usually the offspring of badly behaved adults, but not always. We also spent a ‘memorable’ cruise some years ago on SS travelling around South America with ‘screaming Nico’. We do not have children and have no problem with them if they are brought up the way we were, I.e. to be seen but not heard.

Silver Specter, I certainly sympathize with your having to put up with a screamer while trying to enjoy the ambiance of a lovely cruise.  As I indicated earlier, there will be 5 responsible adults traveling, all of which are well attuned to where we will be.  Our little one is a pretty laid back adaptable kid, but in the event that he  has a "moment", one of us will see to it that he does not cause annoyance to our fellow passengers.  He loves dining out, even in leisurely served restaurants, so we do not anticipate issues in dining venues (we will not be taking him to La Dame).  We will be taking turns staying with him late at night, we do not anticipate taking him to shows.  I think (hope!) we know what we have in store for us and are capable of doing what needs to be done to ensure the enjoyment of all.

As for "seen but not heard"...hmmm.  I think children have as much right to be heard as adults, provided that they are not obnoxiously loud or annoying.

Bob

Hi boblerm and Noahsmum 101,

Firstly can I wish you and your family a lovely cruise celebrating your family member milestone birthday, I am sure that

many of the crew will actually love having a child on board considering they spend so long away from their own.

My husband and I have cruised quiet extensively with Silversea and have never had a problem with any of the children on board, we enjoying watching them with their families and, in the Med in the summer, the activities put on for them by the dedicated member of staff organising activities for children.

Unfortunately we cannot say the same about some of the other passengers who seem to think that the Silversea ships are their own private yachts and give "that look" to anybody or anything they don't feel fits in with their view of how the cruise line should be run.

We sailed with a delightful small boy and his entourage earlier this year, his entourage - mummy, daddy, granny and grandpa- were excellent at keeping him entertained and he caused no trouble, so far as I am aware. I understand he sent a note to adjoining cabins, as well as that on the deck above,  with a small confectionary gift at the beginning of the cruise, apologising in advance if he caused any disruption and asking his neighbours to let his entourage know it he caused them any problem . Slight twee, IMO, but it seemed to engender goodwill. Entourage is my wording btw, not his.

No idea about the crib, I'm afraid, but I did wonder if bringing his own "pack and play" might help him to adjust to unfamiliar surroundings, as it will have the smells and textures with which he is accustomed?.

Rp - no children but, naturally, an expert on the rearing of them

On our first Silversea cruise there were 50 children. 

We sailed Alaska.

Yes the number of children will vary by itinerary and time of year.  

Amy my advice is to have your  Travel Agent contact Silversea to find out what they provide.

My experience on another cruise line when we took our grandchildren last year (it was a luxury line) and some of our other recent experiences on land with the entire family is that they will likely provide a pack and play.  On the other luxury line it was one that was even larger than the typical pack and play.  

It is very nice that you are going on this cruise and will have your two year old on board.  Take lots of photos recognizing that your two year old son won't remember the cruise but the photos will allow him to see that he was on a cruise at that age and will be very special for you and him in the years to come to reflect on the vacation.

Have a great time.

Keith

48 minutes ago, Emtbsam said:

Silver Spectre -  So sorry to hear that you also experienced the "joy" of traveling with Nico and his oblivious parents.  

Hi there, there was the added bonus of meeting and making so very good friends on that trip.

One highlight was the day the father arrived at reception, picked his son up and parked him on top of the counter, so that the girls could share in the “joy” of some close up screaming.

Silver Spectre - yes you did meet some nice people on that cruise and they will be on the Capetown to Lisbon segment.

I thought the highlight of Nico's impact was the swimming pool.  Didn't the ship's crew eventually go out and buy a wading pool for him due to all the complaints?

Sorry to hijack this thread.

Thank you to everyone who took the time to wish us a great cruise and give me supportive comments. Although I have been on several cruises, this will be my first luxury line. I feel so lucky to have such generous parents! 
We are waiting to hear back from our travel agent about the crib. I am confident that we will have a memorable and wonderful time- we have a lot to celebrate! Keith, I was especially excited to hear your positive feedback- my parents love your blog, and truly enjoyed meeting you recently on Crystal! 

Bob I certainly enjoyed your recent blog.  I don’t think Silversea offers babysitters as Crystal does but not sure so I would check.  Not all two year olds are the terrible two’s.

I can relate to what some people have said here but I have seen the worst of it and also the best toddlers at that age.  If you can get a sitter for a few hours that would be great freeing the adults for awhile would be super and all can have a quiet dinner.  

On Crystal some crew would love to do this as they miss their own children but you do pay a babysitters fee and nominal at that.

I hope you get some official answers from Silversea not from posters.  I’m sure you will be just fine.

Amy, I am sure this will be a great cruise for all of you. 

I am reminded that when we took the grandchildren with us on a Crystal last year that a few people we knew who we mentioned it ahead of time while on a previous sailing said "you're taking such young children on Crystal with a look like it won't work.

Well it worked out well because we all made it special and it was.  While Crystal does have a children's program there were not enough children on board for a program and two of the three were around the same age as your son and were two young anyway.

All in all it was terrific and we are so happy we did this.  We all enjoyed it a lot and most guests were welcoming as was the entire crew.

Have a terrific time.  Your parent's are amazing and we are very happy that we had the opportunity to sail with them recently.

Keith

12 hours ago, Emtbsam said:

Silver Spectre - yes you did meet some nice people on that cruise and they will be on the Capetown to Lisbon segment.

I thought the highlight of Nico's impact was the swimming pool.  Didn't the ship's crew eventually go out and buy a wading pool for him due to all the complaints?

Sorry to hijack this thread.

Absolutely correct, and if I remember correctly this was TTS and Mrs TTS’s first SS cruise, and they almost had a run in with screaming Nico’s father, over the Humidor door.

Not that long to go now to Cape Town.

I realize the original question has been answered by now, but as the mom of a 3-year-old who is preparing to take our little monkey on his 3rd Silversea cruise, I can validate that yes, they do have cribs. They even have couple of high chairs that they graciously move to wherever you show up to dine. The crew have always been fabulous to our little guy, and since he no longer uses a high chair, they fumble all over him to get pillows to boost him up to table height so he can sit in a regular chair.  Many of the staff have their own little children at home, so they like to see what he's doing and interact with him. Yes, there are a few sideways and disapproving stares from our fellow passengers, but for the most part everyone is very kind and understanding of how hard it is to travel with a toddler. We work really hard to keep him from bothering anyone and typically end up with lots of compliments on his behavior (if only they knew what a little monkey he really is!!).

It sounds perfect to be traveling with family to take turns so you can get a break to enjoy your own trip, too. Having a toddler with you will be a lot of work, so you'll definitely need the rest! Have fun and take LOTS of pictures because he probably won't remember it otherwise!

• Like 2