Recommendations

hansela

Need a bit more information as LHT28 suggested.  Where do you live?  What port do you want to cruise out of?  Where in the warm weather do you want to go? Any specific islands you would like to visit? Agree as well that the shorter cruises will be more of a party cruise with a younger demographic and would suggest something more along the lines of a 7-night cruise if you want to avoid that.

Please come back with some more information so that we can provide good suggestions.

We live in Wisconsin so we would need to fly somewhere. I want him to have fun, but not a party cruise. I have no problem with a bit longer. Perhaps somewhere where he could snorkel or other excursions. What about Mexico? 

I'd recommend beginning your search either by finding a travel agent that is cruise smart (!)

or

visiting the web sites for Royal, Carnival and NCL (I think these are the cost range you'd be interested in and have many short cruise choices)

On the Royal site for example you can pick the month(s) you're interested in and a cruise length of 2 - 5 days and POOF

for example I just did this 2-5 days for May and June of 19 and get 38 hits with homeports of Lauderdale, Canaveral, Miami, Galveston and more. You could go to Bahamas, Havana or Cozumel ... on a short cruise it will be one of these typically tho. You need more days to hit multiple ports due to distance vs ship speed.

It's a start and will give you cost idea (but don't forget to figure all the added costs like tips, excursions even soft drinks cost extra)

Edited by Capt_BJ

43 minutes ago, hansela said:

We live in Wisconsin so we would need to fly somewhere. I want him to have fun, but not a party cruise. I have no problem with a bit longer. Perhaps somewhere where he could snorkel or other excursions. What about Mexico? 

Would definitely suggest a standard 7-day cruise, which I think would give you plenty of options.  You are going to spend a good amount of money on air fare so a shorter cruise doesn’t make sense. 

If if you have never cruised, or are not comfortable doing your own research, you should definitely enlist the help of a travel agent, preferably one with a lot of cruise experience. 

I am personally partial to Royal Caribbean. I think you would enjoy an Oasis class of ship - so much to do for both of you. 

You don’ mention your grandson’s age, just keep in mind a cruise is a foreign trip. He may be a minor. You may need paperwork completing to take him out of the country.  Research things like passport and insurance. 

He will be 17 when he graduates. If we did Mexico or something similar, would he need a passport? I will also bring his mom. Possibly one of his friends. I will definitely use a travel agent.

Thank you for the kind responses.

Assuming he is a US citizen AND you do what is called a 'closed loop cruise" (begins in a US port and ends in the SAME US port)

he can travel with a valid photo ID (driver's lic is fine) and a 'real' birth certificate (one from a government entity like county or state ... not the one a hospital may give)

many folks will strongly recommend a passport (and I have 'em, kids too) but a BC is 'legal' for a closed loop cruise.

7 day cruise recommendations are all logical and one side of the brain agrees.

The other side cautions: there ARE those that immediately discover cruising is NOT for them.  Rare but true. 7 days can be 7 days of hell (chronic sea sickness does exist).  A shorter cruise IS what I recommend for a first timer. 3 or 4 days ... maybe 5.  Since many folks will also tell you to fly in at least one day early, time becomes a consideration for some wrt work time off etc.

Short does not mean drunks hanging from the ceilings ..... altho there can be some that want to try and squeeze 7 days of fun into a 3 day trip . . .  not ALL, but some. OTOH on a 7 day you also see folks who want to 'pound it' all 7 days ..... 

Edited by Capt_BJ
  • Like 1

Suggest the carbibben for warmth. If you do go out of country and your gandson takes a friend you will need notorized letter from his parents stating you are taking him out of the country on a cruise, you will also need medical power of attorney in case he gets hurt and ends up in hospital

On 11/11/2018 at 7:57 PM, AF-1 said:

Suggest the carbibben for warmth. If you do go out of country and your gandson takes a friend you will need notorized letter from his parents stating you are taking him out of the country on a cruise, you will also need medical power of attorney in case he gets hurt and ends up in hospital

Should have that for grandson if Mom is not going.

And if Mom only is going, there may need to be a document from Dad or court.

Not sure, but best to realize that it might be needed and do the research.

If your grandsons mom is going then you would not need notorized paperwork; however if his friend goes then they would need all appropriate paperwork.  Medical power of attorney paperwork, and paperwork saying you have permission to take them out of the state.

28 minutes ago, AF-1 said:

If your grandsons mom is going then you would not need notorized paperwork; however if his friend goes then they would need all appropriate paperwork.  Medical power of attorney paperwork, and paperwork saying you have permission to take them out of the state.

Even if the mom is going on the cruise they may require father ‘s permission. Can depend on circumstances, if there is a divorce situation, etc. Traveling is becoming more complicated with child abduction, trafficking, messy divorces and so on. When not traveling as a complete family it pays to have everything in order and not leave to chance. 

1 hour ago, AF-1 said:

Unless the friend is 18, which most graduating seniors are.

We took our youngest son along with his brother and sister on a Mexico cruise on RCI for his graduation.  The kids had a blast.  We've been on other family group cruises to Mexico out of Los Angeles.  Always have enjoyed them and there are usually deals to be had.  Maybe check airfares to Los Angeles vs Miami or Ft. Lauderdale.  

IMO , it is not worth the hassles of flying from where you are , for any cruise less than 7 nights.

Those shorter cruises attract many party people anyway.

Do  ask around your friends , family , neighbors that actually cruise often , for a Good TA . By your questions , you need a Good TA before going any farther . Also , determine who  

Is cruising with you now , before proceeding .