New to HA... Question about OBC vs Beverage Card

highlandmom

Hi all, we are super excited to be trying Holland America for the first time for a "last" spring break trip with our grade 12 daughter.  (March 5 - 11N on the Koningsdam)!!!  

I'm finding the search function super frustrating so I do apologize and hope I don't get  "if you just search" :)

My husband and I usually buy the beverage packages on our cruises and we buy a non-alcohol pkg for our daughter but this is a port heavy itinerary so I don't think it will be worth it.  We may get a wine package.  But looking at our planner I see a beverage card option.  Could someone please tell me what would be the advantage of picking up a couple of the $250 beverage cards versus just buying on board credit for our account?  I believe I read that I would then be carrying 2 cards - my usual card and the beverage card... correct?  

Thanks for the advice

The only advantage, IMHO, of a Beverage Card is that you don't have all the entrees on your shipboard statement to reconcile against the receipts they give you.  There is no financial advantage.  Yes, you have your room key card and the beverage card, but only give them both to the server the first time you order to "activate" the beverage card.  If you take advantage of the "happy hour" specials of "buy one get the second same type drink for $2.00, you can save some money.  This even works for beers, wine, and can make a mixed drink a "double" for the $2.  If you don't spend all of the amount on a card, the balance is returned to your shipboard account at the end of the cruise, with a few exceptions.

You will enjoy your HAL cruise experience.  Be sure to book the Tamarind specialty restaurant, before you embark if possible, as it is very popular and often books up quickly.  Also don't miss the Grand Dutch Café and lunch in the Pinnacle Grill on sea days only.  Unlimited Laundry for 7.00 per day per cabin is a bargain.

Thank you very much for the answers.  I think we'll pass on the beverage card and I'll just put money on the account ahead of time.  It somehow, even though its not financially any different, gives me the feeling of not having to worry about the drinks here or there.  I guess that's why we usually get the packages.

Great advice on the happy hour offers.  I have rarely seen happy hour on Celebrity or RCI or the others we've sailed.  We will for sure do that.  Tamarind was a unanomous choice to eat at, at least once.  Thanks for telling me that reservations could be challenging.  I'll book ahead.

One other question if someone sees this - the family cabana, as I understand, is @$125  for one of the sea days but can not be booked ahead.  The only way to secure it would be to get it for the whole cruise.  If no one has booked it for the whole time then it is available once on board for individual days.  Is that correct?  Are the cabanas very hard to actually book?  I guess it would be a race to some desk once we board to try to book....  any thoughts?  Thanks again.

I would be very surprised if there was a Family Cabana available for sea days as they are always booked well in advance through Ship Services.  But you are correct that you will need to wait to book a sea day when you board.  You will have better luck trying to book a 2-person Cabana.

Welcome to Holland America!  The Koningsdam is a wonderful ship.

23 minutes ago, *Miss G* said:

I would be very surprised if there was a Family Cabana available for sea days as they are always booked well in advance through Ship Services.  But you are correct that you will need to wait to book a sea day when you board.  You will have better luck trying to book a 2-person Cabana.

Welcome to Holland America!  The Koningsdam is a wonderful ship.

Thank you Miss G, as I thought, they will be hard to snag.  I'll ask when we get on, just to see.  As there are 3 of us the family one is the only option unless we ditch our daughter lol!  

Just now, highlandmom said:

Thank you Miss G, as I thought, they will be hard to snag.  I'll ask when we get on, just to see.  As there are 3 of us the family one is the only option unless we ditch our daughter lol!  

😂  

If all 3 of you are not gathered in a 2-person cabana for any length of time the attendants will probably be fine with it.  We had the family cabana but it was very very rare for all 4 of us to be in there at once.  Everyone tended to do their own thing so it was more of a periodic meeting place.  Maybe have a word with one of the attendants when you board.