Tour company "required" info

Roo

We are considering a certain tour in Jeju, S. Korea.  To register, the tour company is not only asking for all of our Passport details, but our insurance company policy & number and other details.  Is this typical?  I feel extremely uncomfortable giving this info and will want to consider other tour companies instead.  Anyone have this experience?  Thanks.

Roo (aka Nancy)

Thanks Ashland, for your reply.  I certainly agree about following the rules of a country.  What I was looking for was other people who had experienced this in Jeju.  In my research, I could not find evidence of (for example) other companies asking for your insurance policy and number - that's digging a little too deep!

I would still love to hear from anyone else who has gone on private tours in Jeju.

Thanks!

9 hours ago, gnome12 said:

I would think they want proof that you HAVE travel insurance.

In all of my travels, I've only had travel insurance once (a river cruised we booked with two sets of parents...) If that tour company requires proof of travel insurance, I'd be touring elsewhere. Same for medical insurance, actually - I don't currently have international medical insurance unless I'm traveling on business. I'm aware of the risk I'm assuming and I'm ok with it for now.

In this scenario, I'd 1) ask for more information from the company; 2) submit paperwork back only with details I'm comfortable sharing; or 3) pick a new company.....

• 3 weeks later...

We had to give our passport information for all our tours in Vietnam. I was told that it was required so they could enter the Port to pick us up. They did give me the option of the driver meeting me outside the port gate for pick up.

They did not ask for insurance information but I would have given it to them and I have no concern they needed my passport information.