Mexican Riviera - Best Snorkeling?

ciship

3 hours ago, CRiverCruiser said:

Average June ocean temperatures according to seatempurature.org,.  Acapulco and Huatulco 29.7 C / 85.5 F. Ixtapa 29.4 C/ 84.9 F,  Cancun 28.4 C/ 83.1 F,. Puerto Vallarta 28.4 C/ 83.1 F,. Cabo San Lucas 23.1 C/ 73.6 F.   In Huatulco I am swimming in the ocean or non heated swimming pool before 8 am in the winter time  just to cool off. 

I asked if YOU swam in the ocean all over Mexico, not can you Google ocean temps. I have swam in the Pacific in Mexico at Rosarito and Puerto Arista and at  just about every surfable site in between the two, mostly in winter and almost never used a wetsuit.

3 hours ago, CRiverCruiser said:

Try that in Cabo San Lucas without a wet suit.

73°? You betcha no wetsuit. I live in So Cal, 73° is a bath tub and a cause of rejoicing.

On 2/10/2019 at 9:48 PM, HellooKitty said:

We were just there last week.  Doesn't look like there are beaches within walking distance from the port.  But I could be wrong.  Sorry not too helpful.  

Oh, but there are... Stone Island is a gorgeous beach to visit, and we highly recommend it. Definitely within walking distance from the port (including a short $2 US water taxi ride).

Well worth going in our opinion, as we will be again in a few short months! 🙂

short walk to this place.

https://goo.gl/maps/mdevrf7UiT3SGmjW9

then a short boat trip over.  Inexpensive round trip.  Stone Island was great!  Been to many beaches in Mexico, all down the coast, and this one is great.  Great views, nice swallow place to paddle board or swim.  Pretty strong waves, but light undertow, and with it being swallow pretty far out, its fun to play in the water.  Good sand, views of mountains.  We go to Lety's, its a bit of a walk, but best prices we have found on Stone and nice people.

Warning, get ready to say NO Gracias a lot.  A lot of people selling stuff.  And as someone that has lived in mexico for 2 years, and traveled to pretty much every tourist point, the sales people are well above average here.  Have a little fun, and maybe buy something too, my 10 and 8 year olds learned how to shop in mexico, scored a cool wristband and two animals craved out of beautiful stained wood.

• 2 months later...
On 4/7/2019 at 4:30 PM, CRiverCruiser said:

I guess to logistically challenging but it there would be nice for cruise ships to dump Cabo San Lucas and add Huatulco. Cabo San Lucas has the coldest ocean and weather and the worst swimmable beaches in Mexico. Cabo San Lucas to me is also one of the most expensive places I have been to in Mexico. Maybe all of North America. There is no value in Cabo San Lucas and being hounded by timeshare sales people and vendors on Medano beach is no fun.

Huatulco has some great snorkelling from the shore. 100 dive sites in town and one of the cleanest places you will see. Green Globe Certification and the only resort destination in Mexico that has it. Taxis only cost 30 pesos to go anywhere in town and 75 pesos by taxi will get you to about 20 beaches.  

Huatulco has by far the warmest weather and warmest ocean and great snorkelling from the shore. 

Come on cruise ships, dump Cabo San Lucas and add Huatulco.

When we were in Huatulco on a cruise ship, all the snorkelling excursions had to be cancelled as they had a jellyfish bloom.  Was told it happens several times per year.  

• 6 months later...
On 4/7/2019 at 7:30 PM, CRiverCruiser said:

I guess to logistically challenging but it there would be nice for cruise ships to dump Cabo San Lucas and add Huatulco. Cabo San Lucas has the coldest ocean and weather and the worst swimmable beaches in Mexico. Cabo San Lucas to me is also one of the most expensive places I have been to in Mexico. Maybe all of North America. There is no value in Cabo San Lucas and being hounded by timeshare sales people and vendors on Medano beach is no fun.

Huatulco has some great snorkelling from the shore. 100 dive sites in town and one of the cleanest places you will see. Green Globe Certification and the only resort destination in Mexico that has it. Taxis only cost 30 pesos to go anywhere in town and 75 pesos by taxi will get you to about 20 beaches.  

Huatulco has by far the warmest weather and warmest ocean and great snorkelling from the shore. 

Come on cruise ships, dump Cabo San Lucas and add Huatulco.

Thanks you so much for posting this!!!!  I have just started my research for our Panama Canal cruise in late February and getting discouraged because I haven't found many posts on Huatulco.  Snorkeling would be on top of our list of things to do.