Vroom question

kimberlym4

I am confused about this internet/Voom stuff.... There will be six of us in 3 rooms.  Would I have to buy 6 packages?  I don't care about streaming movies just having social media and internet.  Also - our last Carnival cruise had the Hub which was very cheap and let us contact each other on our phones - without social media etc.  Is there an option like that on Royal?

6 minutes ago, kimberlym4 said:

I am confused about this internet/Voom stuff.... There will be six of us in 3 rooms.  Would I have to buy 6 packages?  I don't care about streaming movies just having social media and internet.  Also - our last Carnival cruise had the Hub which was very cheap and let us contact each other on our phones - without social media etc.  Is there an option like that on Royal?

You buy the package based on the number of devices you want to have connected at the same time.  We usually only get the one device package because both of us does not need to be online at the same time so we will log off of one and then log back on to the other’s phone.

check the prices to 1-4 devices and see what gives you the best deal.  In other words you could buy “one package” but it could be for 1-4 devices depending on which one you purchased.

If you all want to be connected at all times, you will need packages to cover six devices.  If you only want occasional access, people can share a package.  If two people only want to check email once a day and everyone else wants constant connection, you could get a 4-device package and two of the always-connected people could sign off for a minute while the other two people checked their email.  The email checkers log off when done, and the always-connected people can log back on.

Is anyone getting the booze or soda package?  You can usually save a few dollars getting the "booze and internet" or "soda and internet" combination.  

If one person is getting booze and internet and another person is getting soda and internet, then you'd need to get one 4-device package.  

Just do the math to figure out what is best for you -- two 3-device packages?  One 4-device package and one 2-device package?  A combination of drinks-and-internet and internet-only packages?

14 hours ago, kimberlym4 said:

Also - our last Carnival cruise had the Hub which was very cheap and let us contact each other on our phones - without social media etc.  Is there an option like that on Royal?

Not unless you are on Allure and use the RCI app or are on a ship which uses the Royal IQ app (Quantum class and Harmony). 

One of the things I'd like to be able to do is text everyone in the group (in order to make plans/ meet up etc).  Was thinking that since cell charges would be too much to do that - we could use FB messenger.  But then I think we would all need our own way to stay logged in so then our own plan.  That is why I was hoping for what I now see is called the Royal IQ app.  But we are on Independence so looks like they don't have it.

19 hours ago, kimberlym4 said:

One of the things I'd like to be able to do is text everyone in the group (in order to make plans/ meet up etc).  Was thinking that since cell charges would be too much to do that - we could use FB messenger.  But then I think we would all need our own way to stay logged in so then our own plan.  That is why I was hoping for what I now see is called the Royal IQ app.  But we are on Independence so looks like they don't have it.

Just to clarify, don't all need "your own plan" so much as a plan with enough devices included to cover each person.  

Four people in two rooms can all share one person's 4-device plan and all be connected at all times, etc.   You'd have to work out splitting the cost between you, versus having each one charged to each person individually by RCI, but that's easy enough to work out.   

• 7 months later...

I know this is an older thread but I am going to welcome it back with this question 

Does Royal still have the SURF only option or is it now Surf and Stream 

I seem to remember seeing the Surf and Stream on sale from 30% to 40% off but what is the price off of ?

Right now for a Oct 27 cruise I am on the sale is only 25% off

Anyone know the price of the 

Surf and Stream per day before any discounts 

14 minutes ago, TheMiz said:

I know this is an older thread but I am going to welcome it back with this question 

I seem to remember seeing the Surf and Stream on sale from 30% to 40% off but what is the price off of ?

$19.99 per day I believe.

22 minutes ago, TheMiz said:

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=55188055&postcount=105

Royal has begun offering SURF only packages in the cruise planner but not for all ships or sail dates.  When I see it, it is typically $2 less than Surf & Stream for the 1 device plans.

1245304005_VoomPlansinEmpressCP.jpeg.ff64f43079013dcc761a1dbdd171997d.jpeg 

On board the daily rates for full voyage plans is typically $15.99 for Surf versus $19.99 for Surf and Stream.  This is for full voyage plans.  The 24 hour rate for a single day pass is much higher.

1534744976_VoomDayPass.jpeg.b76b1cd14080fc5ebbc2fe2e14df2d0e.jpeg

2 hours ago, twangster said:

Royal has begun offering SURF only packages in the cruise planner but not for all ships or sail dates.  When I see it, it is typically $2 less than Surf & Stream for the 1 device plans.

On board the daily rates for full voyage plans is typically $15.99 for Surf versus $19.99 for Surf and Stream.  This is for full voyage plans.  The 24 hour rate for a single day pass is much higher.

1534744976_VoomDayPass.jpeg.b76b1cd14080fc5ebbc2fe2e14df2d0e.jpeg

Well again more Royal Caribbean crazy math.

20 minutes ago, twangster said:

Not sure I follow.  If you buy it for the full voyage you save money.  Buying it by the day is more expensive.  

Using your examples 

And I didn't see this before in your post

"

"On board the daily rates for full voyage plans is typically $15.99 for Surf versus $19.99 for Surf and Stream.  This is for full voyage plans.  The 24 hour rate for a single day pass is much higher."

I believe in your example one time it shows the Surf and Stream for $14.99 which is 25% off 

The last half says 30% off the Surf & Stream so 30% off of $19.99 is $13.99   

Edited by TheMiz

A day pass of Surf & Stream is $29.99 on board.

"30 Percent off Day Pass"  - A day pass is $29.99 so 30% off the day pass is $20.99. 

The stated on board full voyage rate of $19.99 is actually 1/3 off the day pass price or 33% .

What am I missing?

12 minutes ago, twangster said:

A day pass of Surf & Stream is $29.99 on board.

"30 Percent off Day Pass"  - A day pass is $29.99 so 30% off the day pass is $20.99. 

The stated on board full voyage rate of $19.99 is actually 1/3 off the day pass price or 33% .

What am I missing?

Not sure what you or I am missing

How do they get down to $14.99 ( keeping in mind the the 14.99 is 25% off of the 19.99 )

Package.png

1 minute ago, TheMiz said:

Not sure what you or I am missing

How do they get down to $14.99 ( keeping in mind the the 14.99 is 25% off of the 19.99 )

If you bought a full voyage plan on board you pay a rate of $19.99 per day.

When you buy a full voyage plan in advance in the cruise planner, 25% off $19.99 is $14.99 as you noted.

The trick is ignoring the day pass rate when looking in the cruise planner since all cruise planner purchases are full voyage.

• Thanks 1