Had my Cruise reservation cancelled without notice

Do all cruise lines only send email notification when payments are due? I thought legal notification in the US was by letter.

They cancelled our reservation we made in February because they had the wrong email address. Normally we get notices via mail or email when our payments are due….they had the wrong email address so we were not notified – They cancelled our cruise and then called us and asked if we would like to re-book at a higher fare! How does that happen?

Because they somehow had the wrong email address so you did not receive the notice. Most cruise lines will cancel the cruise if the final payment isn't made by the deadline, which is normal, and it's up to the passenger to know when payment is do. Any notices sent are simply a courtesy.

• Like 3

When I book the info from my TA included the due date for final payment. She usually sets that about a week before the cruise line date. 

She  will email me a few days before it is due and then call a day or two before. 

I get nothing thru the US postal mail.

We booked on board ship and I confirmed that they sent the notices to a non-functioning email address; so I am sure it bounced back Royal Caribbean.

Since our booking, I continued to get two or three emails a week from Royal Caribbean; so I assumed all was well. In the past I have received email notices...including cruise documents. 

There is obviously a glitch in their system that needs to be fixed; and cruisers need to be aware of.

34 minutes ago, 1245 said:

I guess my point is, if they can call me after they have cancelled my reservation, why not before? I have to rebook all of my excursions at higher prices and loose my on-board credits. 

The email is a courtesy, the follow-up call is a sales call in the hopes of increasing revenue. Yes, it does sound like a glitch in the system but at the end of the day it's still the customer's responsibility to make the payment by the due date. (My credit cards will send me an email reminder of the upcoming due date but if I miss the payment I sill pay the late fee, whether I get the email or not.)

Book and travel frequently with RC. Have never received an email saying that a payment is due (same way with other cruise lines and vacations).  It’s up to you to keep track. 

As as far as receiving emails from them, I get those from numerous cruise lines, stores, online businesses - many I haven’t done business with for years. They are just generic junk. 

Sorry you had to learn an expensive lesson. 

26 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

The email is a courtesy, the follow-up call is a sales call in the hopes of increasing revenue. Yes, it does sound like a glitch in the system but at the end of the day it's still the customer's responsibility to make the payment by the due date. (My credit cards will send me an email reminder of the upcoming due date but if I miss the payment I sill pay the late fee, whether I get the email or not.)

That is exactly my point; your credit card company will send you a bill in the mail

10 minutes ago, 1245 said:

That is exactly my point; your credit card company will send you a bill in the mail

When you make your reservation your invoice has your final payment date on it (and the amount due) and since that is in fact your bill there's no reason to send another. I suppose if you don't have email you could ask for the invoice to be mailed to you if you are making your reservation by phone. I do feel for you, this is a sucky position to be in of that there is no doubt and it's certainly an error I'm capable of making.

Edited by sparks1093

4 minutes ago, sparks1093 said:

When you make your reservation your invoice has your final payment date on it (and the amount due) and since that is in fact your bill there's no reason to send another. I suppose if you don't have email you could ask for the invoice to be mailed to you if you are making your reservation by phone. I do feel for you, this is a sucky position to be in of that there is no doubt and it's certainly an error I'm capable of making.

I frequently make my reservation directly with RC by phone. Agent sends an email (usually stay on phone until I see email come through).  Gives full confirmation with final payment date. I just write down so I know when it’s due.   No different to making a reservation on the ship - phone reservations get an email confirmation. 

2 hours ago, 1245 said:

Do all cruise lines only send email notification when payments are due? I thought legal notification in the US was by letter.

They cancelled our reservation we made in February because they had the wrong email address. Normally we get notices via mail or email when our payments are due….they had the wrong email address so we were not notified – They cancelled our cruise and then called us and asked if we would like to re-book at a higher fare! How does that happen?

I don't think they cancelled it because they had a wrong email address, I think they cancelled it because you didn't make your final payment.  Didn't your cruise confirmation have a final payment date?  

2 minutes ago, Grandma Dazzles said:

I frequently make my reservation directly with RC by phone. Agent sends an email (usually stay on phone until I see email come through).  Gives full confirmation with final payment date. I just write down so I know when it’s due.   No different to making a reservation on the ship - phone reservations get an email confirmation. 

I was referring to those few who don't have email, I'm sure there are some out there.

most  cruise lines  will give you an extra day  after FP date  before they cancel your cruise

so what is wrong  with writing the date of FP on your calendar  or making  a reminder note  someplace

I write it  down  ..my TA usually sends a reminder a week ahead

I usually have made a payment to my CC  before  she emails me 

1 hour ago, NLH Arizona said:

I don't think they cancelled it because they had a wrong email address, I think they cancelled it because you didn't make your final payment.  Didn't your cruise confirmation have a final payment date?  

Good comment - the bad email address may be why OP did not get courtesy reminder, but non- payment is obviously why reservation was cancelled.

Our confirmation letter from our TA has the final payment due date listed on it.

I make note of it on my computer calendar -- and so does the my TA.  The day before final payment is made she calls us -- makes arrangement for paying it off, checking to make certain that we are getting all the shipboard credit we are due, dining arrangements, my special needs for wheelchair embarkation and disembarkation and a couple of other medical items that have to be taken care of.

We don't get any reminders from the cruise line.

5 hours ago, 1245 said:

Basically you are responsible for keeping track of your payment due date.  If you booked through a TA, the TA should as a courtesy notify you but ultimately you are still responsible.  We keep the payment due dates for all cruises and for all prepay tours on our calendar.  I do not think that you have any recourse.

DON

3 hours ago, 1245 said:

Mine doesn't.  They send an email.  But I have my auto pay set up to alert me a week before the bill is due.  

I have never had a cruise company send me an alert when final payment is due. Princess, Norwegian, Celebrity, Lindblad, Viking...  All expect me to keep track of the final payment date.

Edited by Bizmark'sMom

5 hours ago, 1245 said:

Thanks for the feedback; live and Learn...sometimes sail mail is a good thing!

So is a good travel agent....who will make sure you are kept abreast of important things regarding your voyage...like final payment date.

A good travel agent can also whine his/her way with the cruise line to get your trip reinstated at the original price.

6 hours ago, 1245 said:

Sorry that this happened but they have no obligation to notify you at all, it is your responsibility to keep up with those things.

I sail Princess and the last cruise in September, I got two emails for a final payment reminder.  One 14 days out and one 7 days out.  I might have gotten another, but I didn't look.  Plus, I have it on my cruise confirmation, cruise summary and I mark it in a big red circle with arrows pointing so I DON"T forget

Edited by myfuzzy