Edgie Art On The Edge: A Feast For The Senses!

vtcruising

• 7 months later...

I found this link to a description of the meaning of the butterfly wings on the Edge. Like much of the art on the Edge, the wings are amazing and the meaning got me a little choked up. I can't wait to go back in January and make a wish!  🙂 You can scroll through and see other sets of wings the artist has done.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for re.posting link to the Art Book.  Do we know if there is a curator or onboard art collection curator/contact.  Wondering how long  some of the installations will remain on board...???

Still hoping to  org some type of art crawl for Nov EDGE but not sure if my fellow roll call members will be  so inclined   Most are going to be on EDGE for the first time..

3 hours ago, vtcruising said:

I found this link to a description of the meaning of the butterfly wings on the Edge. Like much of the art on the Edge, the wings are amazing and the meaning got me a little choked up. I can't wait to go back in January and make a wish!  🙂 You can scroll through and see other sets of wings the artist has done.

Interesting.  . A bit heavy!

For each of us, the art on EDGE  resonates in many different ways..For me the caterpillar/ butterfly metamorphis represents the traditional view of future  hopes and dreams for the future. Ready to take flight!

.and of course it is a powerful symbol for breast cancer  survivors and their families.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hcat said:

Thanks for re.posting link to the Art Book.  Do we know if there is a curator or onboard art collection curator/contact.  Wondering how long  some of the installations will remain on board...???

Still hoping to  org some type of art crawl for Nov EDGE but not sure if my fellow roll call members will be  so inclined   Most are going to be on EDGE for the first time..

I am actually surprised that in addition to Theater tours and Behind the Scenes ship tours, that EDGE doesn’t offer a curated art tour. No, not art for sale disguised as a tour. A real tour of the art on Edge by a knowledgeable art curator who can talk about the artists, why major pieces were selected, etc. I’d pay for that in a heartbeat. And my DH would love all the photo ops. 

Edited by DebInAntigua
Typo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, DebInAntigua said:

I am actually surprised that in addition to Theater tours and Behind the Scenes ship tours, that EDGE doesn’t offer a curated art tour. No, not art for sale disguised as a tour. A real tour of the art on Edge by a knowledgeable art curator who can talk about the artists, why major pieces were selected, etc. I’d pay for that in a heartbeat. And my DH would love all the photo ops. 

Me too!

1 hour ago, DebInAntigua said:

I am going to suggest that they hire me to do that. Just give me a cabin, access to the MDRs and the Premium drink package and I will be happy to help them out! 😀

Edited by vtcruising

19 hours ago, hcat said:

Good questions! Can't wait until our Apex art tour. Don't forget to take the Edge Art Tour people in the elevators to find some interesting characters, including the guy in post #51. 🙂

18 hours ago, DebInAntigua said:

We'd  join that tour as well and be willing to pay.

I want  to contact excursions dept  or suggestions dept to see if they might provide a guide.  On  QM 2 they had the recorded art tour with headphones, available at no cost from Guest Services.  It was great.   Anyhow.can't hurt to try,  

Absent  a ship's excursion,  I am hoping you will join in for the art crawl  for the Nov  EDGE.  .If we and and husbs go..that's 4. A very good start,  group of 8 would be perfect...ending at Cafe Baccio where some intriguing  items are located.    I have no concrete plans right now and am not an art expert,  but  I do have the art book and the postcards, and some recollection of where a few goodies are located based on 7 days on board, the all access tour and a cabin crawl.   I will post about it with  link to this thread  and the book.

Vt..do you think there's a chance we could get X to do a tour?

Vt..can you link to the X website where they disuss the Art Collection..I know it was there someplace!   

No word yet on APEX art????  Hope it will be as exciting as that on EDGE!

14 minutes ago, hcat said:

We'd  join that tour as well and be willing to pay.

I want  to contact excursions dept  or suggestions dept to see if they might provide a guide.  On  QM 2 they had the recorded art tour with headphones, available at no cost from Guest Services.  It was great.   Anyhow.can't hurt to try,  

Absent  a ship's excursion,  I am hoping you will join in for the art crawl  for the Nov  EDGE.  .If we and and husbs go..that's 4. A very good start,  group of 8 would be perfect...ending at Cafe Baccio where some intriguing  items are located.    I have no concrete plans right now and am not an art expert,  but  I do have the art book and the postcards, and some recollection of where a few goodies are located based on 7 days on board, the all access tour and a cabin crawl.   I will post about it with  link to this thread  and the book.

Vt..do you think there's a chance we could get X to do a tour?

I can reach out to a contact and ask. I have a couple of other questions so may check in with them soon. I think it is an excellent idea and said the same thing on our cruises. It is crazy that they don't offer an art tour.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, hcat said:

Vt..can you link to the X website where they disuss the Art Collection..I know it was there someplace!   

No word yet on APEX art????  Hope it will be as exciting as that on EDGE!

I'll have to think about that one. I'll see if I can find it. I doubt we will see much about Apex art until the finish work workers start leaking them out like they did with the Edge.

20 minutes ago, vtcruising said:

I'll have to think about that one. I'll see if I can find it. I doubt we will see much about Apex art until the finish work workers start leaking them out like they did with the Edge.

Thanks,..you  find things the rest of us can't!

On ‎11‎/‎23‎/‎2018 at 10:13 AM, Silkroad said:

You summon him from an ancient lamp located in the Hippie Van. I advise you to choose your three wishes wisely😉

Ha, Ha, Ha, while that may be true this gentleman is a full wall picture in one of the elevators.  He has the most "smoldering" eyes, they look right thru you.    This was one of my favorites!  The  One of the other elevators has the matching "lady" to this gentleman, she is very stunning also.

• Like 1

Going to be tough getting to the elev art and mdr art ( each one has great stuff)....

If we dont get help from X , thinking of doing  the crawl by areas  and asking  each participant to work out their sector..

EDEN art..inside and out

Hallways to EDEN including the Forest

Restaurant hallways

Outside Art

Cafe al Baccio

Kind of overwheliming..or we could just wander with the art book...

(Paid a fortune to mail it back to NY..dh may not want to see it again in Florida!)

4 hours ago, driftychick said:

Ha, Ha, Ha, while that may be true this gentleman is a full wall picture in one of the elevators.  He has the most "smoldering" eyes, they look right thru you.    This was one of my favorites!  The  One of the other elevators has the matching "lady" to this gentleman, she is very stunning also.

LOL! He made me feel like he knew what I was thinking -  and didn't approve. Smoldering Eyes kept me in line!! 😉

image.png.66dca51995c7b6b319883630cfe46f48.png

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, hcat said:

Going to be tough getting to the elev art and mdr art ( each one has great stuff)....

If we dont get help from X , thinking of doing  the crawl by areas  and asking  each participant to work out their sector..

EDEN art..inside and out

Hallways to EDEN including the Forest

Restaurant hallways

Outside Art

Cafe al Baccio

Kind of overwheliming..or we could just wander with the art book...

(Paid a fortune to mail it back to NY..dh may not want to see it again in Florida!)

Great ideas!! I will think about this tomorrow and look for the X link.  Had long hours at work this weekend and ready for some zzzz's. 🙃

Off topic: 

Hope you rest up well... Still hot as heck here on Long Island  NY.  Got in one very early hour  of weeding a small  flower bed...just too darn hot and humid to do  much more.  Storms are predicted later this afternoon to break the heat...Friends in Fla find it odd that it is hotter up here!

On topic:

Inside the postcards there is a nice overview of some of the most notable items... I forgot to list the stairwells at both ends of the ship and the stateroom corridors.

There is info on the Copyrights  plus  the following info:

Ally Millard/ Creative Director

Peter Millard and Partners, Ltd.  ( Art Consultants to Celebrity Edge)

Art Book designed by SWD London

Wonder if they are doing APEX???

Edited by hcat

24 minutes ago, hcat said:

https://www.petermillardandpartners.com

WOW!!!

Some familiar images on the website

Thanks for the link!  I hope they are also doing the Apex! I will try to organize some of the Edge Art and add what we know about it. 

The rain is cooling things down. Right now it is 66.   When I left work Saturday night at 10 PM, it was still 82 degrees and 72 when I left for work Sunday morning at 6:30 AM. Living in VT, I hate to complain about the heat, so I won't. 😉

Sounds good..

Not sure if you have the cards and or the Art book...

The book organizes by areas on the ship and there's a list in the back that matches the  art  piece no.  with the art/ artist info..something like that...

We have lost some early followers of the thread...hope they return!