Miami airport to Fort Lauderdale

jayjayp

No,,,, too far

If you have no to little luggage you can catch an Uber for about $45. If you have a lot of luggage (2 people, 2 large checked and 2 carry-on) then an Uber XL will be about $70. Neither of these prices reflect a tip.

We have to agree with the Uber comment.  Uber or Lyft are generally the best way to get between the two cities....in terms of cost and convenience.  Taxis are more expensive.  Shuttle services often involve waits and hassles with multiple pickups and drops.  Renting a car to simply drive between the two airports is also a real hassle and takes time just getting to and from rental car centers.  Speaking of rental cars here is the awful scenario.  You go to the rental car area at MIA and wait to get your car (this all takes time).  You then drive the approximate 45 min to FLL and drop your car at the unified rental car center.  You then wait for a shuttle bus to take you over to FLL where you then have to again wait for a shuttle bus (assuming your motel/hotel has a shuttle) to get you to your hotel.  I am a big fan of rental cars, but not for this scenario.  Personally we just use Uber.

Hank

51 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

Google SAS Transportation.  They are the main shuttle between the 2 cities.

If you do chose to follow cb at sea's advice, PLEASE do Google ridesas.com, as much of the info implied by cb at sea is wrong. First, the OP is asking about MIA to a Ft Lauderdale hotel. The problem is SAS doesn't serve MIA. It says it all over SAS's website.

The statement that they are the "main shuttle" between the two cities is questionable as well.

59 minutes ago, CruiserBruce said:

The statement that they are the "main shuttle" between the two cities is questionable as well.

If  I had a nickel for every piece of wrong information posted here at CC, I'd have so many sacks of nickels that I couldn't carry them all.

• Like 1

On November 14, 2018 at 7:33 PM, CruiserBruce said:

If you do chose to follow cb at sea's advice, PLEASE do Google ridesas.com, as much of the info implied by cb at sea is wrong. First, the OP is asking about MIA to a Ft Lauderdale hotel. The problem is SAS doesn't serve MIA. It says it all over SAS's website.

Thank you...you saved me a post.  She repeatedly says this and has been told repeatedly that SAS does NOT service the Miami airport , only the Port of Miami, but  she just doesn't get it, I guess.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Rala said:

Thank you...you saved me a post.  She repeatedly says this and has been told repeatedly that SAS does NOT service the Miami airport , only the Port of Miami, but  she just doesn't get it, I guess.  

Some folks play the cheerleader role to an extreme and refuse to accept facts.  So here are the facts.  SAS does not serve MIA so you can listen to CB and you will be waiting at that airport until the next century.    Personally we think most of the shuttle services are a lousy option and I will explain why.   Most shared shuttles charge $15-$20 per person (plus the drivers expect a tip) for a transfer from MIA to Ft Lauderdale.  But when you use a shared shuttle you may have to sit around waiting for your shuttle to show and then sit around some more why they wait for all their booked passengers.  At times they will have to drive around to several terminal buildings to pick up other riders.  Once they get to Ft Lauderdale they may also need to stop at several different hotels to drop passengers.  If you are unlucky and are one of the last hotels you will wait some more.   If you use Uber or Lyft you will know the full cost in advance (its around $35-$40 for the entire vehicle).  You will be picked up at your pick up point and dropped off at your hotel (or ship).  There will be no delays while waiting for others, no getting crammed into a large van or mini-bus...and no waiting while they load and unload other folks luggage.

Shared shuttle services are fine for those that like to be part of a group, but the very nature of shared means delay.  I will normally summon an Uber X car and if my app shows its near the airport then I am a happy camper.  If there is no driver nearby (this is rare at MIA or FLL) then I will use Lyft.   DW and I appreciate being in a car by ourselves and have met some very interesting drivers :).   I certainly have nothing against SAS, but simply find it much faster and comfy to use a private vehicle. 

It gets even crazier at some large hotels on the morning of a cruise.  You will often have dozens of cruise ship passengers (with all their luggage) waiting impatiently for their shuttle and then everyone jockeying for a decent seat in the van or mini-bus...while their driver has to load all the luggage.  You must  be at the pickup point at the proper time and wait.  With Uber we simply walk by all those folks, get into our Uber car and go directly to our ship....while those shuttles sometimes will stop at 2, 3 or 4 other ships before it even reaches your vessel.  Even at hotels that offer free shuttles we usually skip the shuttle (and the waiting) and just order an Uber car when we are ready to go.  We dictate the schedule, not some shuttle company or driver! 

Hank