3 days to sailing- just notified no berth for one of us!

the_dylaness

Oh dear.

Got a call from my TA this morning- we have two connecting concierge staterooms, one for DH and myself, one for our kids (4 and 7) + their babysitter.

Well, turns out the room they booked the 3 of them in does not actually have a sofa bed or any accommodation for a third person.  

No one seems to know how this happened.  I am very confident in my TA, I have booked with this agency for years and have three bookings with them currently.

They offered to move the kids + nanny to another location that would accommodate them but we require connecting rooms.  

Not sure what the resolution is going to be, but hoping we get one soon.  Very stressful, not what I wanted for my vacation.

Anyone had something similar happen? What was the resolution?

I believe your TA has screwed up big time!!!  There are only so many cabins that take  3 or 4 people on each category.  Did you pay for 3 people in one cabin , if so what is your TA’s explanation for this?  So sorry for this mess, we are also on your cruise.  Maybe you will have to reconsider rooms split up at this late time but I would certainly be taking your TA to task.  The cabins that take 3 people are clearly marked on the ship categories.

Edited by If only

Which ship and cabin numbers?

It is possible that the cabin you and your wife are in supports 3 passengers.

If so just swap between cabins.

We have connecting Concierge cabins on Eclipse booked and one cabin supports 3 and the other does not.

Very common on S class ships with connecting cabins.

1 hour ago, the_dylaness said:

Oh dear.

Got a call from my TA this morning- we have two connecting concierge staterooms, one for DH and myself, one for our kids (4 and 7) + their babysitter.

Well, turns out the room they booked the 3 of them in does not actually have a sofa bed or any accommodation for a third person.  

No one seems to know how this happened.  I am very confident in my TA, I have booked with this agency for years and have three bookings with them currently.

They offered to move the kids + nanny to another location that would accommodate them but we require connecting rooms.  

Not sure what the resolution is going to be, but hoping we get one soon.  Very stressful, not what I wanted for my vacation.

Anyone had something similar happen? What was the resolution?

Did you receive a celebrity guest copy confirmation from your travel agent?  It is not possible to book three people in a cabin that will only accommodate two passengers.  I know you shouldn't say not possible but really the booking system won't allow it.  If the TA didn't send you a Celebrity guest copy ask them for one it will have all the relevant information, cabin number and a cost break down per passenger.

Now if there actually was a Celebrity mistake and the guest copy clearly shows three guests it is Celebrity's problem to resolve if it doesn't then it's on your TA.  Good luck and I hope it all works out.

Please check the cabins you thought you booked on Celebrity's deck plan for your ship to see if either of them show as sleeping 3/4 people.  If not, your TA has a significant problem on their hands.  It's hard to believe that celebrity would bill you for three if the cabin only holds 2.  I'd venture a guess that you booked when there was a 3rd/4th person free in the cabin...and your TA didn't register that 3rd person in the cabin.  Obviously a big mistake, if that is what happened.

Ultimately, given the time schedule, Celebrity needs to figure out how to accommodate you in adjacent cabins..irrespective of any cost which can be dealt with later.  It's a lousy situation requiring someone who has both authority to do something and who cares.  I wish I could give you the name in Celebrity who meets those qualifications.  Best bet is probably to talk with management at your Travel Agency and explain that they have a problem they need to resolve.

Best of luck...hope it all works out...and please post here how it works out.

Edited by ghstudio
  • Like 1

TA has been very responsive and working to resolve issue however you still cannot make connecting cabins for three where they do not exist.  I’m sure most or all of Concierge and above cabins are booked already- much less two that happen to connect and and hold 5 people between the two of them.  

There are some SS that connect to CC cabins- this would be fine although I would wish we would all have same DR assignment.

Edited by the_dylaness

4 minutes ago, the_dylaness said:

One of the cabins we are booked in is clearly marked as accommodating three pax.  (The other holds two.) Celebrity is now saying this cabin actually does NOT have a sofa bed and cannot hold three.  Their error, not TA, it seems.

I know from being in the Silhouette that the couch is small & the bed for the third person is usually in the ceiling, I still think your TA did not confirm on your behalf with Celebrity.

Did you get a Guest copy from your TA showing 3people in 1 cabin?  I think your TA has dropped the ball, it should have been caught earlier.  So hopefully they can do something for you now., as time is of the essence. This is the worst news ever for you. 

We have 2 cabins but neither accommodate 3 or I would change with you.

Sorry- reflection- And I hope you understand that I do not want to share the room numbers at this point, I’ll be happy to do so once the issue has resolved and we have returned, but I promise you I have clearly investigated the deck plans both prior to booking and now that this is happened, and it clearly demonstrates that it holds three people. My TA is  in agreement with this as well.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, the_dylaness said:

Thanks for the good luck- we will take it! I really don’t know what the outcome of this will be. It is not possible for us to travel without the connecting cabins.

If it’s Celebrities fault I’m sure they can change around the Guaratee Concierge people  to accommodate you that’s the least they can do.  Hang in there, looking forward to hearing your outcome on Fri.

58 minutes ago, the_dylaness said:

Thanks for the good luck- we will take it! I really don’t know what the outcome of this will be. It is not possible for us to travel without the connecting cabins.

As a last resort, I believe they have roll away beds.

Edited by dkjretired

I’ve cruised a great deal, but this ‘lifeboat issue’ doesn’t track. I understand numbers allowed/restricted in SRs and so on, and numbers in the muster stations, but in truth, if the ship got into an emergency requiring lifeboats, they won’t be expecting and limiting only the set number assigned to some muster station. A major fire, collision, and subsequent listing taking on water either forward or aft means certain areas won’t be accessible and certain lifeboats won’t be able to be launched. There are more lifeboats and inflatable rafts then passengers and crew. Many more. You don’t see the rafts around much, but there are many around ready to be inflated and launched (or thrown over the side and inflated then!). They will move people around and make sure they have all assigned to a way off the ship. The muster stations are an initial location but they won’t send someone away and tell them to go to another station, they will move people as needed. 

So limiting a SR by not adding one person, I just don’t see as limited by a theoretical number in an area assigned for a muster station for lifeboats. There is as much chance as a flip of a coin of at least one muster station not being accessible, and those mustered moved to lifeboats/rafts not originally set for that muster station. During a true emergency, crew may well move passengers directly to the lifeboats without reaching a muster station. They will be taking names and so on, but they won’t be ‘mustering’ us all in the original area, giving us a briefing and moving us along like we are heading off on an excursion. 

Now, isn’t at a lovely thought for all of us going on a cruise to go to sleep with!! By the way, I’m not an expert; just lots of experience in the Navy which probably differs more than a bit. 

Den

Very interesting insight, Den!

I agree with you in that I think there are two ways to do something- the "on paper" way (how many people, exactly, are assigned to the lifeboat?) and the "real life way" (there are a lot of people here who need to get on a lifeboat, let's get them on!).  Real life and "ideal circumstance" rarely track closely.

Either way I imagine the Coast Guard or whoever is in charge of our Safety Of Life At Sea has pretty strict rules... just like how I'm supposed to soap and water wash my hands for 60 seconds prior to a delivery... but when a 15 year old shows up in triage with a baby coming OMGRIGHTNOW, do you wash your hands while singing "happy birthday" and hope you don't miss the delivery, or just slap on some sanitizer, put on some gloves and get the baby?  (This happened yesterday.)

Any sane person would say PUT ON GLOVES AND GET THE BABY!

Or, GET A ROLLAWAY BED AND SIT ONE OF THE KIDS ON THE LAP OF THE PARENT IN A LIFEBOAT!

But alas, we don't make the rules.  

I guess I don't want a "less than ideal" solution... this is a vacation, not a compromise situation. I know I should be grateful that I get to go, and that this is a first world problem, but honestly I planned for nearly a year and a half and am spending a lot of hard earned money on this trip. I need to be in a room that connects to my two small children, no matter what.  Part of my agreement with the babysitter is that she could go out "on the town" in the evenings - we can open the connecting doors and snooze while kids are snoozing and she can enjoy herself.  She can come back and close the doors, get the 5 hours of sleep she needs 🙂 and do it all over again in the morning.  Non connecting rooms mean this can't happen (plus a million other things, like easily helping kids get ready, planning for days together, breakfasting in room with kids...)

Did not contact resolutions- TA is advocating on my behalf and I trust them.

Will keep you posted!

25 minutes ago, the_dylaness said:

I guess I don't want a "less than ideal" solution... this is a vacation, not a compromise situation. I know I should be grateful that I get to go, and that this is a first world problem, but honestly I planned for nearly a year and a half and am spending a lot of hard earned money on this trip. I need to be in a room that connects to my two small children, no matter what.  Part of my agreement with the babysitter is that she could go out "on the town" in the evenings - we can open the connecting doors and snooze while kids are snoozing and she can enjoy herself.  She can come back and close the doors, get the 5 hours of sleep she needs 🙂 and do it all over again in the morning.  Non connecting rooms mean this can't happen (plus a million other things, like easily helping kids get ready, planning for days together, breakfasting in room with kids...)

Did not contact resolutions- TA is advocating on my behalf and I trust them.

Will keep you posted!

I really have nothing useful to add to this, other than to say I hope this all works out for you :)  

Sofas can be moved.  Celebrity can move a convertible sofa into that room and move the one that's there now (not a bed) to some other room.  Just takes finding someone with the authority to make this happen.

Clearly, adding a portable bed would not be a violation of any lifeboat safety issues...Celebrity knows how many are on board...and yes, there is a limit, but it is almost never reached.  That's just a smokescreen someone thought up to try to make the issue go away.  Challenge them on that one....

Edited by ghstudio