Specialty Restaurant

You will get all kinds of answers.  Sone go the first night because it’s cheaper, sine go on formal nights to avoid the MDR, some like formal nights and go any night but formal night others like the last night.

we like going on sea days as many times on the port days we are tired from shore excursions and a lot of sun. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

You will get all kinds of answers.  Sone go the first night because it’s cheaper, sine go on formal nights to avoid the MDR, some like formal nights and go any night but formal night others like the last night.

we like going on sea days as many times on the port days we are tired from shore excursions and a lot of sun. 

Just to clarify, you are expected to "dress" in a specialty restaurant regardless of which night it is?  I actually can't believe I'm asking a question about dress codes. Yikes.

32 minutes ago, superduper123 said:

For those who like to enjoy a (one) meal in a specialty restaurant, how do you decide which evening? Do you do it on formal night, or otherwise? 

Usually mid-cruise, day 4 or 5. For some reason, the MDR menu seem rather unexciting on those days. If we can't get into a specialty, then we head to the Windjammer.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, superduper123 said:

For those who like to enjoy a (one) meal in a specialty restaurant, how do you decide which evening? Do you do it on formal night, or otherwise? 

My favorite speciality restaurant evening is the 2nd formal night when the MDR is overcrowded & overrun with passengers going wild for the all you can eat 3.5 ounce lobster tails. Also we always avoid speciality restaurants during night 1 and 2 because of the bogo crowd.

🍽️ 

We did specialty dining a couple of nights ago.  We did not like what was on the MDR menu and wanted something different.  We went by Giovanni's and asked about availability.  We asked if there was any special going on for the price.  The hostess called someone and asked if there was still a special.  He said yes and we got it 50% off each meal.  If I had not asked we would have paid full price. :classic_ohmy:

So the next time you book--ask!

edit:  there was no advertisement of any special.

Edited by DragonOfTheSeas

We like to go on the 2nd night (formal night) and dress to the nines.  Makes formal night seem that much more special.  😉 🙂  Not a fan of the mushy "warm water tail" lobster they serve on the ship in the MDR, so we are not missing much.  

12 hours ago, ObstructedView2 said:

My favorite speciality restaurant evening is the 2nd formal night when the MDR is overcrowded & overrun with passengers going wild for the all you can eat 3.5 ounce lobster tails. Also we always avoid speciality restaurants during night 1 and 2 because of the bogo crowd.

🍽️

Is lobster available in the specialty restaurants on the same nights that it is featured in the MDR?

We do it on a SEA day, if we do it at all.  Port days are tiring, if you go ashore, and do more than "walk around"....so IF we do a specialty, we do it on a sea day.  Not a "formal" night...as we enjoy the menu in the MDR...and we also enjoy our tablemates!  We are big fans of dining with others!

1 hour ago, Ourusualbeach said:

One night the waiters do a routine that involve singing anf dancing.

On our recent Oasis they performed 2 nights including a Karioke performance 

Really drags everything out. 

Would rather they were left to deal with the service. 

• Like 1

On 11/13/2018 at 6:04 PM, Ourusualbeach said:

Formal night is not observed in the specialty restaurants.  

I would say formal dress is not required in the specialty restaurants on formal nights, but on Allure every time we have been there on formal nights, most were dressed up more than they would be on casual nights.

We like going to Chops on formal nights as we usually have a 5 night package and also go to Hibachi plus get 1 dinner free from our agent.  I love the 2nd formal night in Chops because they will serve the lobster tails that are served in the MDR if requested along with a filet so it makes a really good surf n turf.  

The atmosphere in Chops is so much nicer than the MDR and it is far more relaxing than having dinner in the MDR.  I feel far more relaxed dining in the specialty restaurants and there isn't the din that is evident in the MDR.  JMO.