Princess Dunn's River Express

Wishing on a star

If the snacks aren’t mentioned then they are not provided. Dunn’s river falls is a commercial operation, they have all the food, drink, trinkets and weed that you could ever want.   

It’s worth doing it just to say you did. 

Break a leg -   But not literally. 

Edited by neverbeenhere

Thanks!  I wasn't sure if there was any real food there.  I will pull up more info and find out.

Sounds like there will be plenty of time there to grab something!

I might not choose this excursion, but I am not the one making the pick on this one.

Edited by Wishing on a star

We went with a total of 6 family members,  all in early 60’s. Three of us decided it looked to slippery and dangerous. It was beautiful but we elected to swim at the beach at the base. The other three went up the falls and loved it. There is always food and trinkets to buy.

I did it several times in my 50’s and was lucky not to sprain an ankle. If you stick with a guide and with the chain, it’s pretty safe. It’s not a case of falling off the waterfall, it’s falling onto a rock or twisting an ankle. 

Wear old sneakers/tennis shoes. 

Everyone that goes to Jamaica ought to do it once. It’s an exhilarating experience. 

Do it! Dunn's River Falls is a must! You can climb up the Falls through the water in a group, in a human chain, if that gives you security, or you can walk up on your own. There are guides to help and assist you and to pick the route to travel up the Falls. When we were there, a wooden walkway went up the side, so if you did not want to get wet, or feared for falling, you could walk up the side. There are a few change rooms there at the foot of the falls. You can purchase food, snacks, and trinkets. There are photographers to document your climb and then on the walkway out when you have that look of accomplishment on your face! Do it! This is a must do!

Thank you prairie girl !

We did do the Falls, years ago...  but there are others who have not.

I plan to spend most of the climb on the trail/walkway.  I am not getting any younger!

Can you tell me how that works...  Can you kind of follow along with the others who are doing more climbing?

Does the path stay pretty close to the water?

We did a Dunn's River Falls excursion on our first cruise--back in 1989. Obviously we were much younger then. I'm glad I did it. I walked up the falls barefooted. DH wore sneakers, which never dried out afterwards. The excursion we took got us to the falls by boat. If that's available, I'd recommend it over one that gets there by bus.

Hi Wishing on a Star: If I remember correctly, the wooden walkway goes up the left side of the falls as you are looking up. Depending on the terrain, there are several combinations of a few steps at a time, flat sections to walk, and an inclined section with a gentle rise. There is a railing so you can hold onto the railing  if you need to. There are also some entrance points for people who wish to discontinue the water falls climb and finish on the wooden walkway. Alternatively, a person could enter the water to climb a water section! There are also exit points where you can exit the wooden walkway and go back to the parking lot if you do not want to walk all the way up. Yes, the walkway is right beside the water. You could 'parallel climb' with friends...they in the water, you walking on a solid structure! You could also photograph your friends in the water! Some people get intimidated when they are at the bottom and looking up. But the climb is really a gentle climb. I guess instead of thinking "one day at a time" you could think "one step at a time'! 

21 hours ago, miss prairie girl said:

Hi Wishing on a Star: If I remember correctly, the wooden walkway goes up the left side of the falls as you are looking up. Depending on the terrain, there are several combinations of a few steps at a time, flat sections to walk, and an inclined section with a gentle rise. There is a railing so you can hold onto the railing  if you need to. There are also some entrance points for people who wish to discontinue the water falls climb and finish on the wooden walkway. Alternatively, a person could enter the water to climb a water section! There are also exit points where you can exit the wooden walkway and go back to the parking lot if you do not want to walk all the way up. Yes, the walkway is right beside the water. You could 'parallel climb' with friends...they in the water, you walking on a solid structure! You could also photograph your friends in the water! Some people get intimidated when they are at the bottom and looking up. But the climb is really a gentle climb. I guess instead of thinking "one day at a time" you could think "one step at a time'! 

We are thinking of doing this excursion but we have some concerns. We have a son that is disabled with us. My questions are where to we go when we are let off the bus? Down to start and walk back up to the bus? We were hoping to one of us will stay with our son and swim and the other do the falls. Any information would be appreciated. Thanks,

Hi curleybelle2, After you get off the bus, you can walk down to the base of the Falls. It is perhaps a 10 minute walk. When we were there, the walk was on a wide hiking path of sand and gravel . I believe there may have been a few steps along the way. It may have been improved by now. You could stay and play in the water at the base of the falls. You could also walk part of the way up on the dry wooden path to the left  and then exit to the parking lot. You do not have to go all the way to the top. I believe the vertical elevation is about 180 feet and the actual length is 600 feet taking into account that there are some flat sections in the waterfalls.

There are vendors in the parking lot selling food and trinkets. There are also vendors that line the walkway from the Falls to the parking lot. Some of these can be aggressive. One vendor 'lovingly'  put a necklace on me and then asked me for the money. I did not want the necklace and said no.

You may find more information on Dunn's River Falls over on the Ports of Call forums.....I  haven't been over there in a while, but I am sure once you find the Jamaica area, there will be some valuable information on Dunn's River Falls over there.

Best to you and your family as you travel!

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 11:05 PM, miss prairie girl said:

Hi curleybelle2, After you get off the bus, you can walk down to the base of the Falls. It is perhaps a 10 minute walk. When we were there, the walk was on a wide hiking path of sand and gravel . I believe there may have been a few steps along the way. It may have been improved by now. You could stay and play in the water at the base of the falls. You could also walk part of the way up on the dry wooden path to the left  and then exit to the parking lot. You do not have to go all the way to the top. I believe the vertical elevation is about 180 feet and the actual length is 600 feet taking into account that there are some flat sections in the waterfalls.

There are vendors in the parking lot selling food and trinkets. There are also vendors that line the walkway from the Falls to the parking lot. Some of these can be aggressive. One vendor 'lovingly'  put a necklace on me and then asked me for the money. I did not want the necklace and said no.

You may find more information on Dunn's River Falls over on the Ports of Call forums.....I  haven't been over there in a while, but I am sure once you find the Jamaica area, there will be some valuable information on Dunn's River Falls over there.

Best to you and your family as you travel!

Thank you! The information has been helpful!