Your favorite food On Princess

josephml1

Escargot is my favorite.  I missed it on my last cruise on Majestic last November.  Hope I don't miss on the Regal in April.  Loved the Cuban Sandwich in the IC on the Ruby, wasn't as good on the Majestic.  So many old favorites, and looking forward to finding new favorites on the Regal.  Still 40 days away so back on the treadmill for me.

28 minutes ago, LuckyA'sMom said:

Escargot is my favorite.  I missed it on my last cruise on Majestic last November.  Hope I don't miss on the Regal in April.  Loved the Cuban Sandwich in the IC on the Ruby, wasn't as good on the Majestic.  So many old favorites, and looking forward to finding new favorites on the Regal.  Still 40 days away so back on the treadmill for me.

I, too, have had mixed experiences with Cuban Sandwiches from the IC.  I don't remember which ships, but I have had the sandwich handed to me ungrilled (not good) and grilled (good).  I suspect that the press/grill was not working on the one ship,  I would like to think that it was not a case of the server just being lazy.

22 minutes ago, XBGuy said:

I, too, have had mixed experiences with Cuban Sandwiches from the IC.  I don't remember which ships, but I have had the sandwich handed to me ungrilled (not good) and grilled (good).  I suspect that the press/grill was not working on the one ship,  I would like to think that it was not a case of the server just being lazy.

I've had it grilled (meh) and ungrilled (excellent). Guess it really does depend on who put the thing together. I definitely preferred it ungrilled. My stomach is rumbling. I'd like one right now. Perhaps I should have eaten breakfast.

15 minutes ago, Thrak said:

I've had it grilled (meh) and ungrilled (excellent). Guess it really does depend on who put the thing together. I definitely preferred it ungrilled. 

Different strokes.

👍

Isn't that hilarious?

4 hours ago, EmilyColwell said:

Shades of Artichoke.  Blech. 

What is this seeming fascination that the designers of cruise line menus have with artichokes?  Not only Princess, current HAL menus have that incorporated into far too many dishes as far as I am concerned.

• Like 1

The Alfredo is awesome, but my A1C limits that. I, of course, love the escargot, but soon realized that what I loved was the GARLIC BUTTER ...... LOL; I could eat the rolls dipped in the garlic butter. The Black and Blue onion soup is excellent, 2nd only to a variation I found at a sports bar in Quebec, which was about the best thing I ever put into my mouth. They have, or at least used to have pete fors (sp?) with chocolate and marshmallow and the chocolate was absolute PRIME quality. But what comes to mind for me comes from my southern hick background. Only on the Coral and Island can you find the New Orleans style  eatery with my lifelong favorite, fried green tomatoes. Not as good as mine, but still a wonderful treat for regaining memories. Cannot wait till September for our next chance. Princess rox!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, southerngoose said:

Is it possible to get the main dining room selection as room service or "To go"?  I don't want to have an elegant, long, drawn out meal.   I just want some nice food.

If you book a full suite, you can order room service off the dining room menu.  It is fun, but it is nor really as elegant as you might hope.  Everything is delivered at once--appetizers, salad, entree, dessert.  So, if you are fussy about the temperature of your entree, you might be disappointed by the time you get around to it.

That being said, we've done it more than once.

😁

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, generichandle said:

Only on the Coral and Island can you find the New Orleans style  eatery with my lifelong favorite, fried green tomatoes. 

I will be sailing on Coral Princess this Summer.  Other than fried green tomatoes, are there other items on the Bayou Cafe's menu that you can recommend?

12 minutes ago, rkacruiser said:

I will be sailing on Coral Princess this Summer.  Other than fried green tomatoes, are there other items on the Bayou Cafe's menu that you can recommend?

Be aware that if you order the Filet Mignon medium rare the majority of it will be very rare. My wife ate the outer part (which was perfect) but everything past the outer portion was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too rare.

17 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Be aware that if you order the Filet Mignon medium rare the majority of it will be very rare. My wife ate the outer part (which was perfect) but everything past the outer portion was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too rare.

I have had the opposite occur. Everything is well done.

23 minutes ago, Coral said:

I have had the opposite occur. Everything is well done.

Sigh... Meat preparation isn't rocket surgery. Any decent chef should be able to prepare your steak to your specification. It's mind boggling how they can screw this up. Use the "knuckle" method or a meat thermometer if you don't know how to gauge the "doneness" by feel.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Thrak said:

Sigh... Meat preparation isn't rocket surgery. Any decent chef should be able to prepare your steak to your specification. It's mind boggling how they can screw this up. Use the "knuckle" method or a meat thermometer if you don't know how to gauge the "doneness" by feel.

I live in beef country. I know.

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Heck yeah! I had an absolutely wonderful Porterhouse. The  starter was oysters, which I will have anywhere. For desert the banana whiskey pound cake was good, and my traveling companion loved the fried yellow peach pie. I love the Bayou, my favorite upscale on Princess.

On 1/13/2019 at 5:20 PM, jagsfan said:

Well, you slice a round loaf of Italian bread in half and pile on olive salad, smoked ham, Genoa salami and provolone cheese. 

Olive salad is not gardiniera. It’s very finely chopped. You can get it online. 

No mayo, mustard, salt and pepper. Nothing but those ingredients. 

Then you cut it into four wedges. 

Pay no attention to the people who add to or subtract from the muffuletta.  

They’re like Emeril putting garlic on a lobster roll! 

Central Grocery in Decatur St in New Orleans originated it, and I read about it in a review back in the 70’s before my first visit to New Orleans. The review talked about the raunchy, stinky, but delicious sandwich. So I had to try it. 

You can buy it whole, or just a half. A half is more than I can eat. 

It’s a standout in a city full of wonderful food and places to find it. 

By 'olive salad' are you meaning tampenade?

At Share, the ricotta cavetelli (more like a ricotta gnocchi with beets) was amazing!  The best single dish I had on my entire Emerald cruise.  Wasn’t going to order it, but my husband ordered the pork ravioli and we were sharing....now I wish I had ordered it...times twelve!

No Share restaurant on the Crown ( which Is our next cruise)....what should I order? 

11 hours ago, generichandle said:

By 'olive salad' are you meaning tampenade?

No, tapenade is totally different. It’s more mushy, almost fine enough to put through a sieve. 

Guardiniera is much larger pieces of veggies.  

Google olive salad and you’ll see.

Olive salad is chopped olives, carrots and other veggies, smaller than giardiniera, larger than tapenade!

you can buy it online, including from Central Grocery that started the whole thing.  

If you vary any muffuletta ingredients, it won’t be a muffuletta!

12 hours ago, chefchick said:

At Share, the ricotta cavetelli (more like a ricotta gnocchi with beets) was amazing!  The best single dish I had on my entire Emerald cruise.  Wasn’t going to order it, but my husband ordered the pork ravioli and we were sharing....now I wish I had ordered it...times twelve!

No Share restaurant on the Crown ( which Is our next cruise)....what should I order? 

11 hours ago, Thrak said:

Beets are bad, M'Kay...

I hate beets.

That being said, the first time we visited SHARE, my wife ordered the Cavatelli, and she suggested that I try it.  OH EM GEE.  Finally, something made with beets that actually tastes good.  This happened on the original SHARE menu.  The Cavatelli has survived two menu updates since then.

CC, I can't say that I have any to-die-for menu recommendation from Crown Grill.  I like to bring my own wine on board, and it is fun to have a Cabernet Sauvignon from my cellar with a hunk of red meat.  As you can discern from the above conversation, getting a steak cooked to your preference can be challenging.  When the server asks how I would like my steak prepared, I look him straight in the eye an tell him, "Rare.  Blood rare."  Sometimes it works.  Sometimes it doesn't.

Actually, their are a couple seafood dishes that are pretty good.  I like the Shrimp Bisque and the Sea Bass entree.  My wife really likes the Mussel Pot.  I would definitely not recommend the Lobster Tails, but, then, I am not crazy about any crustacean-based entree.

Another thing that my wife absolutely loves at Crown Grill is the Garlic Fries.  It is listed as one of the sides for the entrees, but she orders it as her appetizer.  Sometimes that surprises the server, but they recover quickly.  Also, she can't eat them all.  So, I get to reach over and help myself.😁

Though the Crown Princess does not have SHARE it will have some iteration of Sabatini's.  Regardless of whether they have the old menu or the new Trattoria menu, the pasta dishes are consistently good,

The Artichoke Souffle in Sabatini's!  The Pasta Arribiatta (sp?) the head waiters make on Italian night! And the hot dogs from the pool grill.  My husband also loves the embark day avocado and shrimp salad.

• Like 2