Travel Insurance Question

Sarcastic Mama

Hello, I've been looking for a good travel insurance company and I'm a little overwhelmed.  We have never had insurance, but after our last trip, we definitely want to purchase it. So, what would you recommend? I was thinking of just getting Carnival insurance, but I'm just not sure.  😲

I always check with the website insure  my trip. It does a comparison of all the plans and is very easy to navigate. It gives you alot more for your money than the Carnival insurance.

I always seem to end up with Travel safe or Travelguard as they have principal insurance coverage (so I don't have to go through my own insurance first) 

I actually had to use the Travelsafe on one trip when my sister had a heart attack in Dominica. Never travel without it.

Ever since we first started cruising many many years ago, we've used CSA Travel Insurance. About a year or so ago, they changed their name to General Global Assistance. We get the coverage we need at a very affordable price. They're one of several companies listed on insuremytrip.com. Go to insure my trip  and do a side-by-side comparison of as many different policies as you wish. You're sure to find a policy that provides the coverage you need at an affordable price. If you need a policy that would cover a pre-existing condition, most, if not all insurance companies, require you to purchase the policy within so many days of making your deposit for your cruise, usually somewhere between 14 to 30 days. 

It is hard to make judgments about something if you've never had to use it.  I always purchase travel insurance. I consider it part of the trip cost. I've heard too many horror stories to invest that much money on a trip without it. Still, I have been fortunate not to need it thus far. I like to use one of those comparison sites to look at what each company offers. I've used Travel guard and Nationwide. CCL does tend to be more expensive and if you need to cover hotel and flight that won't help you. There used to be a topic on these boards but I didn't find it.

insuremytrip.com is my go-to outfit. You can make comparisons, side by side, to see what coverage is offered. Then, if you're not sure, give them a call! They are more than helpful with the ins and outs of travel insurance.

My opinion, of course!😉

We use www.TripInsuranceStore.com

But we always recommend CALLING them.

The way we go just what we needed (and have used several times with no bickering) was to *speak* with TIS reps.

It was in discussing who we are (age, medical status, elderly relatives or such, etc.) that we got the policy that suited us, and also did it in a cost effective way (rather than more expensive similar policies).

We ended up buying (through TIS) policies from Travel Insured.

They have paid claims (including 2 large ones) very promptly.

And TIS reps were able to get some answers for us when we were overseas, with a quick email.  Steve (owner) called TI to double check, and we were fine, knowing our unexpected expenses were indeed covered.  (It was an odd situation for us, but obviously not for the travel insurance folks!)

GC

1 hour ago, lambstew said:

When is the timeline for buying trip insurance?

We just booked a cruise for April 2020,  How soon do I need to line up insurance?

We obviously won't book airfare for 4-8 months.

Thanks!

Please call a broker such as www.TripInsuranceStore.com

The requirements/deadlines for *starting* the insurance (usually only need to insure any payments already made such as deposit) can depend upon the policy/insurer and the state... and very importantly, what type of coverage you desire/need.

There isn't a single one-size-fits-all answer.

However, acting within 10-20 days of the FIRST payment, again, depending upon policy and state/etc., will give you the most choices, especially if you want coverage for pre-existing conditions (for either medical coverage OR trip cancellation/interruption).

GC

• 1 month later...
On 11/21/2018 at 4:40 PM, lambstew said:

When is the timeline for buying trip insurance?

We just booked a cruise for April 2020,  How soon do I need to line up insurance?

We obviously won't book airfare for 4-8 months.

Thanks!

I suggest that a starting place for you would be to decide whether or not you want to cover pre-existing conditions.  If yes, then each company will give you a specific number of days you have to purchase their policy after making your initial deposit/payment. Be aware that this also includes the use of airline miles.

If on the other hand pre-existing condition coverage isnt an issue for you, you can purchase it near your sailing time. 

Go to tripinsurancestore.com 

I used to use InsureMyTrip but found the side-by-side comparisons easier to deal with and manipulate on tripinsurancestore.com

I like the interactive ability to be able to easily change parameters on the fly and quickly be able to evaluate the changes in premium that are brought about by doing so. 

At the end of the day, pricing is going to be identical from any consolidator you may choose. 

Try them both and select the one that works best for you.