Adopt A Stream?

I realize that I am completely co-opting a legitimate conservation program's name here, but I was thinking about this ever since someone ( @Globaliser ?) posted about stream security on the forum that they used to have before all the bugs and glitches were fixed. (Rim shot 🥁

If you know the URL to someone's custom activity stream, you can view it - not necessarily as them - but with their filters applied to your user context.  Once you're viewing their stream, you can save it as your own. That means that we could have a bunch of hand-crafted, expertly curated streams and throw them out to the public, who could "Adopt A Stream."

Here's my followed, unread topics (posts) stream if you want to see how it works.  This could be helpful, because I've seen quite a few people get tripped up when setting their filters.

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/discover/424/

I logged in as my wife to see what it would look like as someone else. 

adopt-a-stream.JPG.e9f935f6428d5e9fb6b7e2528a40573c.JPG

1 hour ago, POA1 said:

Once you're viewing their stream, you can save it as your own. That means that we could have a bunch of hand-crafted, expertly curated streams and throw them out to the public, who could "Adopt A Stream."

Yes, I have been mulling over this idea myself - just not got around to voicing it or doing anything else about it! I think it's a great suggestion.

40 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

Yes, I have been mulling over this idea myself - just not got around to voicing it or doing anything else about it! I think it's a great suggestion.

Thanks. I don't think this whole thing is going to fix itself. :classic_biggrin:

My filters are a bit different.  My Content Types is restricted to the four forums I read, you're set to everything.  My Read Status is unread, yours is everything.

I found that using Ownership to follow "Live From" threads was tedious to set up and maintain.  It strikes me that you're using Following to read specific threads.  Perhaps it would be easier to use Content Items I Follow to read "Live From" threads.  I'll give it a try.