Departure time changed from 5 pm to 10pm in the Bahamas

Jared100

I will be on the carnival liberty Sunday and received an email the other day stating that  “for your enjoyment, we will he extending our stays in Nassau and Freeport”

from 5pm to 10pm for both. I am good with this, but I just kind of thought it was weird. Any idea why they would do this?

Staying longer would normally cost more in port fees.  Maybe the Bahamian port authorities offered a mild discount to keep the ship (and maybe other ships) in port longer to help the local businesses?  I don't think there would be another ship porting at that same pier right after 5pm in either spot, so it probably isn't a case of the piers being available longer than normal those days.

Hmmm, I just saw an article about the Bahaimian government stopping payments to cruise lines for porting in Nassau + Freeport. They claim many guests are staying onboard + not spending the way the government hoped. Maybe they're trying to sweeten the pot. 

59 minutes ago, CRocks said:

Hmmm, I just saw an article about the Bahaimian government stopping payments to cruise lines for porting in Nassau + Freeport. They claim many guests are staying onboard + not spending the way the government hoped. Maybe they're trying to sweeten the pot. 

Read that same article, maybe a deal was made or  maybe it's an experiment to see if/how much money is spent.

It would be interesting to know.

12 hours ago, Anyislandwilldo said:

It really doesn't take that much time to get back to the US from Nassau.

Agreed. We just got off the 11/11 - 11/15 cruise and each night we were going super SLOW. Plus we did not spend much time off the boat at each port so money, so I’m sure many others did the same which comes down to the islands not making much money.