Fall rollout of 17 new beers?

CruiseVA

Back in August, Princess announced that they would be coming out with new bar menus, including:

"In addition to the new cocktails, the line has added 20 new high-end and exotic spirits, 39 new wines by the glass, and 17 new international and craft beers to the new menu, according to a statement. "

Has anyone seen the new 17 beers yet?

We leave in two days. November is clearly FALL. Bummer to hear no one has seen any of this yet. Read a trip report of someone who just got of Ruby and they were limited in their wine supply from the old list too.  Wondering how low they have to get before the load up with the new stuff. 

1 hour ago, Tedferg said:

Maybe many wines by the glass, however we have a friend who is very choosy about Chardonnay and I do not see many options there - I think only one or two. Cabernet by the glass was also limited.

Agreed, not many options.  We like wine and have managed just fine with Princess in the past. However, given the decreased value of the beverage package, price hikes, and "new" wine offerings we are so unimpressed that if we cruise from our home port, I'm bringing on my own wine.  We've done this in the past and brought too much wine.  Need to make sure we bring the right amount for us...  Not too much, not too little.  It's a crap shoot!  I just know that we used to get the beverage package for convenience, order bottles of wine at the 40% discount and now, we will no longer be doing that.  It sucks my cruise won't be "pre paid" for our on board expenses, but I will likely save lots of money without the package and bringing my own wine!  

• 2 weeks later...

Just got off Ruby Princess. No new beers. Not a single IPA on board, so my hubby was dissapointed.  I was pleased with the new wine list personally, though wines by the glass in the bars/lounges is much smaller and lower quality than the dining room list. 

One new beer introduced on Emerald on Oct 23 cruise.

A grapefruit IPA from a San Diego brewery.  Found it exceptionally bitter, even for an IPA,  but lots of others seemed to enjoy it..  That has been the only new addition so far for beers.

The new wines by the glass in Vines were wonderful,  IMO.. Very pleased with the new options there.  

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/26/2018 at 10:16 PM, reedprincess said:

One new beer introduced on Emerald on Oct 23 cruise.

A grapefruit IPA from a San Diego brewery.  Found it exceptionally bitter, even for an IPA,  but lots of others seemed to enjoy it..  That has been the only new addition so far for beers.

The new wines by the glass in Vines were wonderful,  IMO.. Very pleased with the new options there.  

Would love to see the list of wines by the glass offered in Vines.... 

Also I think the discount for wines by the bottle with the Prem Bev Package is 25% so not a great deal IMHO.

Thanks for the report.

Edited by happy cruzer

On 11/15/2018 at 2:11 PM, happy cruzer said:

39 NEW wines by the glass?

On 11/16/2018 at 12:50 PM, jennybenny said:

Agreed, not many options.  We like wine and have managed just fine with Princess in the past. However, given the decreased value of the beverage package, price hikes, and "new" wine offerings we are so unimpressed that if we cruise from our home port, I'm bringing on my own wine.  We've done this in the past and brought too much wine.  Need to make sure we bring the right amount for us...  Not too much, not too little.  It's a crap shoot!  I just know that we used to get the beverage package for convenience, order bottles of wine at the 40% discount and now, we will no longer be doing that.  It sucks my cruise won't be "pre paid" for our on board expenses, but I will likely save lots of money without the package and bringing my own wine!  

I agree! 😠 !

We sail next week on the Pacific (with no Vines) and have the "Premium" beverage package.

In the past we've been able to find decent dry reds by the glass but after looking at the new wine list we will be bringing our own and paying the corkage.

There are some decent reds by the bottle but 25% off just doesn't do it when we've already paid for the package.

I'm pretty sure this will be our last package with Princess. We're pretty disappointed in the wines available and don't drink enough otherwise to make it even close to worthwhile.

I hope I'm wrong and that there will be more available on board than what's shown on that list. I'll report back after the cruise.

• Like 1

On the Golden at the end of October just before disembarking our Trans Pacific in Sydney they were unpacking some Pilsner Urquell but they didn’t have a new beer list.  They were also going to add some Australian beers while home ported in Melbourne.

Even though not on the new wine list, in the container of alcohol unloaded in Auckland was a full pallet (60 cases) of Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc, presumably for the Kiwis.

54388E22-6955-436D-8FCE-568D39E538C3.jpeg

Edited by IECalCruiser
Added second paragraph.

•  
  •  

Next Step: Step 1 Location

Your profile is 0% complete!

More beer options on Princess!

By dides, August 8 in Princess Cruises 

Bill B   

Bill B
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  Woobstr112G said:
They will confiscate your beer after they see it on the scanner. It will be disposed of..... (in the crew mess).

Bob

Brackets (and the words in between) are mine. Sorry Bob. ;p

Astro Flyer   

Astro Flyer
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  cardiffman said:
Has Alaska Amber Ale always been available on Alaskan cruises? I tried it and liked it well enough.

It was available on my Alaska cruise about a decade ago. Kona Longboard lager was available on a Hawaii cruise & Paulaner lager on a transatlantic during Oktoberfest. So they sometimes will have regional beers on cruises.

Woobstr112G   

Woobstr112G
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  Bill B said:

......:D:D:D

Bob

mexicobob   

mexicobob
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  satxdiver said:
I for one will welcome a better beer selection being offered. The beer they now sell ranges from swill to slightly drinkable. I am a lover of hoppy beer so bring on the more serious IPAs. The wine selection in Vines is decent but could be better and the selection of bourbon is basic at best. Hopefully they will add some decent drinkable bourbons to the list. As for the new foo foo drinks, I will pass. I gave up kool-ade decades ago.

At the end of the article it mentions 5 new ships on order between now and 2025. The first three will be royal class ships with the Sky being the first to be delivered in October 2019. The real new news are the two new class ships to join the fleet in 2023 and 2025 that will hold 4300. Those ships will be LNG ships. I am not too crazy about megaships and certainly not the gargantuan of the seas currently afloat now. It is time to retire the grand class ships.

On the Golden Princess this past June to Alaska in the whisky bar they offered some outstanding bourbon. Good selection of some high priced bourbon.

CruiseVA   

CruiseVA
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  Bill B said:

:')

Cruiser411   

Cruiser411
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  mexicobob said:
On the Golden Princess this past June to Alaska in the whisky bar they offered some outstanding bourbon. Good selection of some high priced bourbon.

The ships with the Salty Dog Gastropub have an outstanding selection of whiskies and whiskeys. You can get a very nice flight....

satxdiver   

satxdiver
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  CruiseVA said:
One would think so, but, I've been doing this for years, and, I've never been called to the naughty room, and, all my beer arrives intact. I do split it between our 2 suitcases. Just did it this past spring on the Regal. That is a risk I'm willing to take, until they provide drinkable beer.

One time I got off the ship with a friend and his roll-aboard, we walked to SafeWay (in San Francisco), he filled it up with beer, and, walked it on thru security - they didn't blink an eye when they x=rayed it. That was quite awhile ago.

It depends on the port with Princess so it seems. We boarded in PE last year and DW had forgot and left a bottle of wine in her checked luggage. When it finally arrived in our cabin, the bag had been opened. The bottle of wine however was still in there. At least she did not have to go to the "naughty room".

Two years ago we were on a Caribbean cruise and the last port was Aruba. Returning to the ship after an excursion, I stayed and checked out the duty free store out of curiosity. I noticed they had a special on my favorite gin and decided to buy one which I almost never do. I expected to have to turn it in when I boarded the ship but there was no liquor table and the crew member running the scanner did not say a word. I took up to my cabin but did not open it of course since I was taking it home.

voljeep   

voljeep
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  mexicobob said:

pappy van winkle ??:whiskey-glass:

(y)

satxdiver   

satxdiver
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  Cruiser411 said:
The ships with the Salty Dog Gastropub have an outstanding selection of whiskies and whiskeys. You can get a very nice flight....

I will have to frequent the Gastropub. It is on the Crown, Emerald and Ruby so that it will be be awhile before I board the Ruby again. :(:(

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  voljeep said:

(y)

Now that would be a treat...don't think I've seen that on board any ship...maybe I need to ask next time!! :confused:

phil-1974   

phil-1974
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Hi there

Any craft beer lovers that have been on a recent Princess cruise?  Interested to see what their new beer menu looks like, more specifically their IPA offering. Doing a Mexican cruise next year so interested to see what they have.

Edited December 11 by phil-1974 
typo
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  On 12/11/2018 at 8:14 PM, phil-1974 said:

Hi there

Any craft beer lovers that have been on a recent Princess cruise?  Interested to see what their new beer menu looks like, more specifically their IPA offering. Doing a Mexican cruise next year so interested to see what they have.

I'd also like any current information on Princess' IPA offerings.  I'm a huge fan of IPAs and am always eager to try something new!

releck97   

releck97
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Hi there

Do you mean the new "fall" menu that we're all still waiting for?

phil-1974   

phil-1974
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Really releck97, have you just been on a recent cruise?

brt49   

brt49
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

How can it take this long to release a new beer list?

PensFan1028   

PensFan1028

Was on the Royal last week. Only new beers were Goose Island Sofie and Gulden Draak 9000. Sofie is the only beer on board with any hop profile at all... and I did enjoy probably 10 - 12 of them throughout the week at $8 each. This is a bottle conditioned Belgian Saison... not bad but still not what most would be looking for. The first few days it took the bartenders a minute to figure out they even had the beer or how to ring it into the register... not a good sign (am I really the only one drinking this on a ship of 3500?)

Also tried the Draak, not really a fan of this type of beer with the sweet malty forward to cover the alcohol. It was ok but I wouldn't buy it again.

releck97   

releck97

The Gulden Draak has been a regular on Europe cruises. They probably just had some left over.

CruiseVA   

CruiseVA

Fall isn't over yet - LOL.

brt49   

brt49
  On 12/19/2018 at 8:16 PM, CruiseVA said:

It is in about 24 hours...

CruiseVA   

CruiseVA
  On 12/19/2018 at 10:22 PM, brt49 said:

Today is the last day of Fall (like that matters). How hard is it to at least announce the lineup for upcoming cruises?

jennybenny   

jennybenny

I've been anxiously awaiting news of the "new beers" and hoping it's more than the two that have been mentioned!!  Will find out Soon!

wsu_cougs   

wsu_cougs
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Well, it's not an IPA, but it's close enough to keep me happy. Just boarded the Royal Princess, and have seen Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale at multiple bars, including at Mermaid's Tail. The servers aren't quite sure what to make of the name "Lagunitas", but I told them we'll make sure they are very familiar with it by the end of the week. They say it's brand new today.

20181222_124257.jpg

3 minutes ago, wsu_cougs said:
  •  
  •  

Next Step: Step 1 Location

Your profile is 0% complete!

More beer options on Princess!

By dides, August 8 in Princess Cruises 

Bill B   

Bill B
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  Woobstr112G said:
They will confiscate your beer after they see it on the scanner. It will be disposed of..... (in the crew mess).

Bob

Brackets (and the words in between) are mine. Sorry Bob. 😜

Astro Flyer   

Astro Flyer
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  cardiffman said:
Has Alaska Amber Ale always been available on Alaskan cruises? I tried it and liked it well enough.

It was available on my Alaska cruise about a decade ago. Kona Longboard lager was available on a Hawaii cruise & Paulaner lager on a transatlantic during Oktoberfest. So they sometimes will have regional beers on cruises.

Woobstr112G   

Woobstr112G
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  Bill B said:

......:D:D:D

Bob

mexicobob   

mexicobob
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  satxdiver said:
I for one will welcome a better beer selection being offered. The beer they now sell ranges from swill to slightly drinkable. I am a lover of hoppy beer so bring on the more serious IPAs. The wine selection in Vines is decent but could be better and the selection of bourbon is basic at best. Hopefully they will add some decent drinkable bourbons to the list. As for the new foo foo drinks, I will pass. I gave up kool-ade decades ago.

At the end of the article it mentions 5 new ships on order between now and 2025. The first three will be royal class ships with the Sky being the first to be delivered in October 2019. The real new news are the two new class ships to join the fleet in 2023 and 2025 that will hold 4300. Those ships will be LNG ships. I am not too crazy about megaships and certainly not the gargantuan of the seas currently afloat now. It is time to retire the grand class ships.

CruiseVA   

CruiseVA
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  Bill B said:

:')

Cruiser411   

Cruiser411
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  mexicobob said:

satxdiver   

satxdiver
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  CruiseVA said:
One would think so, but, I've been doing this for years, and, I've never been called to the naughty room, and, all my beer arrives intact. I do split it between our 2 suitcases. Just did it this past spring on the Regal. That is a risk I'm willing to take, until they provide drinkable beer.

One time I got off the ship with a friend and his roll-aboard, we walked to SafeWay (in San Francisco), he filled it up with beer, and, walked it on thru security - they didn't blink an eye when they x=rayed it. That was quite awhile ago.

It depends on the port with Princess so it seems. We boarded in PE last year and DW had forgot and left a bottle of wine in her checked luggage. When it finally arrived in our cabin, the bag had been opened. The bottle of wine however was still in there. At least she did not have to go to the "naughty room".

Two years ago we were on a Caribbean cruise and the last port was Aruba. Returning to the ship after an excursion, I stayed and checked out the duty free store out of curiosity. I noticed they had a special on my favorite gin and decided to buy one which I almost never do. I expected to have to turn it in when I boarded the ship but there was no liquor table and the crew member running the scanner did not say a word. I took up to my cabin but did not open it of course since I was taking it home.

voljeep   

voljeep
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  mexicobob said:

(y)

satxdiver   

satxdiver
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  Cruiser411 said:

I will have to frequent the Gastropub. It is on the Crown, Emerald and Ruby so that it will be be awhile before I board the Ruby again. :(:(

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  voljeep said:

(y)

Now that would be a treat...don't think I've seen that on board any ship...maybe I need to ask next time!! 😕

phil-1974   

phil-1974
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Hi there

Edited December 11 by phil-1974 
typo
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Hi there

I'd also like any current information on Princess' IPA offerings.  I'm a huge fan of IPAs and am always eager to try something new!

releck97   

releck97
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Hi there

Do you mean the new "fall" menu that we're all still waiting for?

phil-1974   

phil-1974
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Really releck97, have you just been on a recent cruise?

brt49   

brt49
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

How can it take this long to release a new beer list?

PensFan1028   

PensFan1028

Was on the Royal last week. Only new beers were Goose Island Sofie and Gulden Draak 9000. Sofie is the only beer on board with any hop profile at all... and I did enjoy probably 10 - 12 of them throughout the week at $8 each. This is a bottle conditioned Belgian Saison... not bad but still not what most would be looking for. The first few days it took the bartenders a minute to figure out they even had the beer or how to ring it into the register... not a good sign (am I really the only one drinking this on a ship of 3500?)

Also tried the Draak, not really a fan of this type of beer with the sweet malty forward to cover the alcohol. It was ok but I wouldn't buy it again.

releck97   

releck97

The Gulden Draak has been a regular on Europe cruises. They probably just had some left over.

CruiseVA   

CruiseVA

brt49   

brt49
  On 12/19/2018 at 8:16 PM, CruiseVA said:

CruiseVA   

CruiseVA
  On 12/19/2018 at 10:22 PM, brt49 said:

Today is the last day of Fall (like that matters). How hard is it to at least announce the lineup for upcoming cruises?

jennybenny   

jennybenny

I've been anxiously awaiting news of the "new beers" and hoping it's more than the two that have been mentioned!!  Will find out Soon!

wsu_cougs   

wsu_cougs
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  

Well, it's not an IPA, but it's close enough to keep me happy. Just boarded the Royal Princess, and have seen Lagunitas Little Sumpin' Sumpin' Ale at multiple bars, including at Mermaid's Tail. The servers aren't quite sure what to make of the name "Lagunitas", but I told them we'll make sure they are very familiar with it by the end of the week. They say it's brand new today.

20181222_124257.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Quite like Lagunitas. Hopefully others are to follow.

How much was the Lagunitas?

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
On 12/22/2018 at 9:58 AM, Geoffa30 said:

The servers aren't quite sure what to make of the name "Lagunitas", but I told them we'll make sure they are very familiar with it by the end of the week.

Don't count on it! We were on for 49 days and DH got a Lagunitas Little Sumptin Sumptin  a couple of times a day. At the end of the cruise he was still explaining what he wanted. There was no other Lagunitas offered on the Royal on our cruise from 2-2 thru 3-23. 

Cheers, Denise  

Edited by dchip