Rome on your own

Kazron

To meet people who are on your cruise, you use the the Roll Call for your cruise, located here:

There are MANY recommendations just down the board, like our favorite, the wonderful Rome in Limo. There are also many discussions about taking the train, and a few other options.

• Thanks 1

However, the Hop on Hop off bus is not recommended for Rome. Streets can be very narrow in the areas of the main sites, and thus the buses don't always get close. Plus they can be very crowded and hard to get back on. Most of the main sites (Vatican excepted) are within reasonable walking distance of each other.

Have used Ho-Ho buses in many areas. But not Rome. Not a great idea. If time is restricted, a private tour is far more efficient use of your valuable time.

1 hour ago, Desert Cruizers said:

Having never been to Rome, I welcome all tips. I was thinking we could use it to get close to places we can't walk to , then walk to them. If the granddaughters are able to do this trip with their mother & I and grandson, there will be 5 of us. 

Is this on a single day in Rome, coming from the ship? If so, your group is perfect for a group private tour.

If this is a set of days staying in Rome, I would suggest walking everywhere, except perhaps the Vatican. But the major sites- Pantheon, Trevi fountain, Spanish Steps, Forum, Colosseum, are all within a pretty small area. One end to another of this area is probably less than 2 miles. We have walked it several times...we are in our 60s.

If mobility is an issue, taxi, subway and bus would probably do better.

• Thanks 1

i am in the beginning stages of planning but the hope is to come in 2 to 3 days before the cruise to see as much as we can then shuttle to the cruise port Whether we decide to spend 1 night post cruise or return to the States afterwards will discuss  with the family. I am the oldest of the group, I will be 76 by time we take the trip since daughter & I have 3 others We are going on. Hawaii 2019 & b2b Southern Caribbean in 2020. Daughter will be 63 granddaughters young adult. The boy will be 14. Hopefully I won't have any problems walking by then.:classic_smile: so should be able to walk around to sight see. 

I really cannot recommend the HOHO buses in Rome, but particularly for anyone in Rome for just the day, coming from the port (Civitavecchia).  They are an inefficient way to sightsee in Rome due to the terrible traffic and the one-way and pedestrian streets in the historic center.  If you plan to get on and get off, you can be sure you'll spend significant chunks of time waiting for the next bus to arrive. And if you go during the peak season, the buses are very full and you may not even be able to get on.

As Cruiser Bruce already noted, the other issue is that you cannot just stay ON the bus and hope to see all the sites. You'll see some of them, but for others you have to get off the bus (for example, Trevi Fountain).

If you're in Rome for 3-4 days and If you really plan well, they might be of some use, but I think there are better ways to get around -- mainly by foot with the occasional bus or metro ride or taxi.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 11/15/2018 at 8:35 AM, Kazron said:

Hi is there anyone on the Oasis of the Seas 26th May 2019
Wanting o do Rome on your own,
Has anyone booked or got a recommended company to transfers there and back.

Hello - yes we are on that trip and are also looking to share a "Rome on your own".  How can we get in touch??  I also started a shared tour in LaSpezia to Pisa, Lucca & Wine Tasting in Tuscany if you would like to join.  Look forward to hearing from you

49 minutes ago, ebtoday said:

Hello - yes we are on that trip and are also looking to share a "Rome on your own".  How can we get in touch??  I also started a shared tour in LaSpezia to Pisa, Lucca & Wine Tasting in Tuscany if you would like to join.  Look forward to hearing from you

Have you joined your Roll Call, as mentioned in post #2...that is the place for communications between people on the same cruise.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

We were in Rome, year before last and stayed 5 days pre cruise and did the entire city on our own, very easy. Plus, I ma 72 and still was fine to walk around and enjoy all the sites. 

Look for a centrally located hotel that will enable you to get to many of the main sites very easily. We stayed not to far from Termini and it was perfect. In one day we walked to the Spanish Steps, Pantheon, Trevi and back to the 
Steps with many stops in between. We did use public transportation to get to the Vatican one, day and we also used transportation to get to the Colosseum and the Forum.

Like has been said, avoid the HoHo and use the trains or the bused to get around. 

We also did a day trip to Florence, if you have the time. Very easy to get to from Termini and spent a marvelous day just wandering about Florence.

Cheers

Len

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Our plans have changed and we will be doing the 7 day Western Med on the Allure then TA back to MIA so will have a full day in Rome from 7 AM to 8 PM. 

Itinerary 

Barcelona

Palma De Mallorca 8 to 4

Marseille, France 9 to 6

Florence 8:30 to 8:30

Rome 7 to 8

Naples 7 to 6:30

Sea Day

Barcelona then TA