MSC - Seaside. Very Poor Design for a “new” ship

Asymicek

Hi Everyone- why would a cruise company build a brand new ship with all the pools with a depth of 6+ft deep?  This way you can only use the edge of the pools to hang on, no playing in the middle of the pool or ability to stand up unless you are very tall?   Any ideas on why the did this?  Never heard of this on any other cruise ships.  Are all MSC ships pools this deep?

(I know there is a kid pool for young kids that is not this deep.)

2 minutes ago, ready2cruzagain said:

Most new ships have pools that are like this.  NCL Epic has the same type of pool.

It keeps the pool for swimming & now wallowing!

Hard to have a cocktail in one hand & a beer in the other & still tread water!

Carnival ….Who don't have the deep pools do it another way ….A beer & a cocktail is in the pool or not is 13.33% of your daily allowance!!!! :classic_ninja:  

• Like 1

This has been talked about in length, but to me it is brilliant.  Keeps the people from standing in it all day and never leaving after 6 to 10 drinks.  Hmmm, where are those drinks going?

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Asymicek said:

Hi Everyone- why would a cruise company build a brand new ship with all the pools with a depth of 6+ft deep?  This way you can only use the edge of the pools to hang on, no playing in the middle of the pool or ability to stand up unless you are very tall?   Any ideas on why the did this?  Never heard of this on any other cruise ships.  Are all MSC ships pools this deep?

That exactly the point so no one play there or stand with drinks. Perfect design. 

• Like 1

I am a tall guy, and so I enjoy a pool that has a portion of the pool as a “deep end”.   Why not design it to accommodate the masses.   That way both people are happy, the deep end people that don’t want people on the deep end of the pool.   Or atleast one one the pools not all 6 ft. Deep.  

Yes - I like the deep end, but I like to be able to stand up and play with my kids or play with a ball with other stand and talk with other adults and enjoy the water.

it seems like they will not have the re-peat business that cruise lines need it they don’t think through the designs of the ships and what the market the want to serve.

2 minutes ago, Asymicek said:

I am a tall guy, and so I enjoy a pool that has a portion of the pool as a “deep end”.   Why not design it to accommodate the masses.   That way both people are happy, the deep end people that don’t want people on the deep end of the pool.   Or atleast one one the pools not all 6 ft. Deep.  

Yes - I like the deep end, but I like to be able to stand up and play with my kids or play with a ball with other stand and talk with other adults and enjoy the water.

it seems like they will not have the re-peat business that cruise lines need it they don’t think through the designs of the ships and what the market the want to serve.

I will try it again! So you don't play with kids in pools, and don't stand there for hours talking to other adults, because its not proper on cruise ship pools,  and annoying for other cruisers, and no space for all this in pool on cruise ship. 

• Like 1

I was on Seaview in August and actually enjoyed it. It allowed me to get in, cool off after sunning, tread water a little, and get right back out. No need to hang all day, and if wanted to hang, I would just sit in the 4-inch deep part. 

It really helps regulate people just lounging and spilling their drinks everywhere, it's a really perfect concept in that regard.

• Like 2

I think there are two types of people.  

1. Someone that would pee in a pool

2.  Someone that would not pee in the pool 

if you will pee in a pool, it will not matter if you are hanging on the edge of the pool or standing in the middle.   If that is the reason MSC designed a new ship with ONLY a deep end pools, I think their are other ways to accomplish getting or keeping people out of the pool.

If MSC thinks this is a great feature, and design, they should market it ONLY deep end pools.

7 minutes ago, Asymicek said:

Golden Bonny - I am interested in the way you enjoy the deep end pool.   What are the proper ways to use a pool on a vacation?

You swim , you cool down and go out to talk and have a drink. Ship pools are way too small to play ball or hang there for hours with drink like it goes on Carnival . I only use pools till  11:30 am then its  become a very not private (or clean) bath tub . 

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Asymicek said:

Please don't assume you speak for all. 

MSC has my repeat business.  

I also think that ball playing has no place on a cruise ship pool.  Perhaps if you're the only ones in it, but when others enter, I would hope you would stop.  

• Like 1

Even if there was a "wading pool" (not very deep) as well as a "swimming pool" (like the current Seaside pools), what would happen is that the adults (with drink in hand) would fill up the wading pool. The "stand and talk with other adults and enjoy the water" group would complain that the pools are too crowded. 

I do not mean to speak for others, I am speaking for myself.   I know you are never going to satisfy everyone when you have thousands of people on board.   I know the pools are too small for everyone to enjoy.

my purpose is to understand different points of view and then the consumer will choose to do business with MSC (or another cruise line) or not.

i have been on over 15 other cruises and 5 other cruise companies and none of those ships offered only deep end pools.   I am trying to understand the reasoning that MSC designed a new ship this way.   I am suggesting this would appeal to some and not others and the consumer should be aware of this for their decision making when deciding who to do business with.

i agree with many of you that this type of design would limit the people that would be able to use the pool and the time spent in the pool.

my personal opinion by not offering another option, you limit the amount of people that would enjoy the pool(s) and thus I think it is a poor design to have ALL pools to be deep pools.  My opinion would be to have one pool or a portion of one pool not a deep end.   If you don’t know how to swim, you will not use a deep end pool, but could use one that you can stand up in.

i think some of us may agree to disagree, I simply want to educate the consumer they can choose based on there opinion.

based on my previous cruise experience, I was not aware that all pools on seaside are deep end pools.

2 hours ago, GOLDENBONNY said:

You swim , you cool down and go out to talk and have a drink. Ship pools are way too small to play ball or hang there for hours with drink like it goes on Carnival . I only use pools till  11:30 am then its  become a very not private (or clean) bath tub . 

Absolutely SPOT ON ….Swimming pool not recreation members area, open air toilet, wet ball court or social meeting place!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, citizenfrank said:

Absolutely SPOT ON ….Swimming pool not recreation members area, open air toilet, wet ball court or social meeting place!

+1  Agree 100%

There are several spa/whirlpools all over the ship where people can relax and hang out. No need to stand in a group in a swimming pool. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, citizenfrank said:

It was great being able to swim a few laps without a human obstacle course.

The pools on the Seaside are the perfect depth. All cruise lines should be this way. We loved it. I will admit, as my username states, at 6'7" I could stand in the pool. My kids prefer the deeper pools as well. No more drunks hanging out in the pools for hours on end. 

8 hours ago, Asymicek said:

Errr because it’s a SWIMMING Pool 🤔🙂

• Like 1

Our children enjoyed the deeper pools, and as a parent, when the kids are jumping in the water, you don't worry they jump too close to a shallow end and hurt themselves.

We also cruised on NCL Escape and their "kids" pool was also all deep.  Except the NCL kids pools was in an area where adults had to stand in a walkway and watch, where the Seaside has many spots for adults to sit and socialize while watching the children swim.