Hi!  We will be in port from 10-6pm.  I would like to see the Blue Grotto and Mdina.  I know they have taxis at the port, that will take you around, but not sure how reliable they would be.  I emailed the black cab co and Amy Pace.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

TIA

On 11/15/2018 at 12:16 PM, twinsmom310 said:

Hi!  We will be in port from 10-6pm.  I would like to see the Blue Grotto and Mdina.  I know they have taxis at the port, that will take you around, but not sure how reliable they would be.  I emailed the black cab co and Amy Pace.  Does anyone have any recommendations?

TIA

When we were there several years back, they had a well-established process at the port where you would pay for a taxi for as many hours as you wanted to reserve them.   We paid people in a tent along the walkway off the ship.  They discussed where we wanted to go and had info on places if we wanted it.  Once we agreed on the timeframe we wanted, we paid the people in the tent a fixed price.  I think we paid 65 euros for 4 hours.  Or something like that.  They gave us a piece of paper/receipt and we walked to the taxi parking area a short distance away and gave that paper to the driver.  He suggested that we had enough time to add another stop at the Presidential Gardens.  We hopped in his car and headed off.  He took us everywhere we asked and dropped us off and told us where he would pick us up.  He knew approximately how long it would take us at each location and was waiting right where he told us to be each time.  For us, it was a great 1/2 and worked out well.  I don't know if it always goes so smoothly, but never once did we question the reliability of the driver or the process.  We never had to pay the driver for his time, since we paid in the tent.  However, we tipped him at the end of the day.

Edited by MeHeartCruising
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

I agree about Mdina. We are old, but kids at heart, and we loved wandering about the old streets, the fortress, and all this city ahs to offer. 

You can take the HoHo to Mdina and stay as long as you like. Kids will love it. 

Cheers

Len

If just going to Mdina there is no reason to shell out the big bucks for the HoHo.  There are several local bus lines that go from the bus station (located above the port) to Mdina and there is a bus about every 10 minutes.  I believe an all day ticket is still about 2.60€.

We agree that going to the Blue Grotto is not an efficient use of one's time given the limitations of a port day.  With a 10-6 day you will likely need to be back aboard by 5:30.  My suggestion would be to take a public bus to Mdina, spend some time exploring that old town, and then return to Valletta where you can explore (and eat) until its time to return to the ship.  

Hank

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Taxis in Malta are brilliantly regulated.  You book them (and pay) at a taxi booking station, in a shop or at the entry point to a "sight".  They call the taxi and it takes you were you are going.  No cash changes hands. 

You couldn't do Mdina and the Blue grotto by boat in one day - but you can look down on the blue grotto from a sightseeing point on the road above.  If you drive the South Coast road it is well worth a photo stop.  If you are using a taxi the other place worth a look is the Popeye village.  Again you can see it from a photo point on the road above and it really is surreal.