Cheaper way to goto Kennedy Space Center than ncl excursion?

fstuff1

7 minutes ago, mizLORInj said:

Could do, or rent a car at the port.  I think we're paying $40 total to do that.   For 6 hours or so. 

We bought our tickets when we got to KSC . 

thx.

uber estimate is #35 each way. 😞

do you remember how much was the tix for ksc?

Take free rental car shuttle from cruise port, Uber/Lyft will be cheaper (and faster) from there, because you don't have to compete with all the other passengers. Renting a car is a bit of hassle, since you have limited time anyway, and it's not worth wasting it on car rental/return and parking.

1 hour ago, deliver42 said:

$250.00 is crazy, unless they are offering something special at KSC, which I doubt,

if you meant from my uber post, it was supposed to be $35, not #35.

if not, then  where did you get $250 from?

Edited by fstuff1

For a solo cruiser the NCL excursion is probably the most cost effective way to go. Tickets are $57. If UBER is $35 each way then you come up with $127, so that is no real difference.

The main reason I would consider going on my own is that I could spend the time there doing what I want, and not what the tour makes you do.

Find other solos / couples interested through your roll call and share an Uber / taxi. That's easily the cheapest way to go. ~$57 per person admission fee plus ~$70 return uber for two =$184 (vs $250), for three = $241 (vs $375), for four $298 (vs $500).

I went on RCI and had the same conundrum. After looking at the pricing, I determined that it just wasn't worth the effort to do it on my own for the cost. We did the DIY tour, so all we got for the excursion was round trip transportation (same busses they use for the KSC bus tours) and admission.

Last March we went to KSC after getting off a cruise.

We had already booked Cocoa Beach shuttle and so the price to and from was quite low (We paid $200 total for 3 people - airport to hotel, cruise ship to KSC, KSC to hotel, hotel to airport).

I think it's cheaper to buy tickets online. We did because we bought the lunch with an astronaut option and that way we didn't have to wait in line to get tickets.

A friend told me about his UBER experience going to the Kennedy Center. His UBER driver couldn't find the dock the ship was at and he kept seeing the UBER driver at a distance going back and forth looking for them. They canceled the UBER and booked another one. She used Google maps rather than the UBER map and mentioned the dock wasn't on UBER maps. So, if you choose UBER, make sure your driver has specific info.

• 4 months later...
On 11/15/2018 at 11:37 AM, fstuff1 said:

$125 for ncl shore excursion. 😞

i'm going solo.

any cheaper way?

uber/lyft to kennedy space center, then buying the ticket at their ticket counter???

We're not solo but want feedback/reviews on the NCL excursion - it says (on the NCL website that the KSC tour) is 7 hours on the day we disembark, and departing flights must be after 6p (no problem, we booked a NCL package that included airfare).  It references in the  tour description the simulator (assuming it's included???) and bus to launch pad.  It appears you eat on the run.  I would also like to include the IMAX film.  As a DIY traveler I have to know if  it's worth $290 for a ship excursion - the thought of being part of a cattle drive and paying inflated prices, makes me wonder if it's insane to do so...is it worth the convenience?  My NCL booking confirmation says we're paying $58pp for transfers (to/from) the Orlando airport...I wander if it's refunded if the excursion is booked...I'll call should I read that the excursion is worth it.  Please share your experience at Kennedy Space Center - did you have any free time to roam and did you buy any additional tickets on the Nasa website...anything?  Thank you in advance for your consideration.

Do not buy nonreundable tickets to KSC. I was on the Anthem 3 weeks ago and had a medical evacuation in the middle of the night so we had to go back northeast. We didn’t get into Port Canaveral until almost 4 pm. There were people carrying on all over the ship that they had purchased (on their own) non refundable Disney/Universal/KSC tickets and were not happy. Things happen, plan accordingly.