Question about the self-serve launderettes

DimSum

Has anyone use the self-serve launderettes?  Do you need to bring change to use the machines?  I've never used the self-serve launderettes so not sure if I need to bring change or I just need to swipe my cruise card.

TIA

use your cruise card to get tokens for machines - $3 wash, $3 dry

bring your own detergent/pods or can also buy from machines

PRO TIP - get your tokens early as token machines can be down or out when you actually go to do clothes

Edited by voljeep
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, JF - retired RRT said:

Another tip: time the washer & dryer (signs are usually on the wall telling how long the cycles take). That way you can put your laundry in the machine and come back a few minutes before the cycle ends, rather than wait in the laundry room for the whole thing...boring.

Good advice.  One other point.  If you are not back in time, the next person waiting to use the machine may take out your clothing so they can use the machine.  So, be back in time. I have seen some people get  upset that some one else touched their clothing.  But others needed the machine.

• Like 1

The strategy (said it before)

1) Place clothes in washer and start

2) go to bar enjoy one and only one drink

3) return to laundry 

4) place clothes in dryer and start

5) go to bar, enjoy one and only one drink

6) return to laundry for dry clothing

note: only one drink per cycle. 🥃

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, neverbeenhere said:

3) return to laundry 

We usually do our washing very early in the morning so steps 2 and 5 may cause problems, but if you insist..... 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We have used self service laundry on every cruise. If you have soap pods, take them so you save a couple dollars. Don't know about you, but on a cruise we don't real;y get "dirty". Never had to worry about through wash. Out of the dryer onto hangers. If needed, there are irons and boards. *if you use the iron, check it first. Once found melted plastic once. 

• Like 1

One further suggestion I have is to go purchase the number of tokens you will need at the very beginning of your cruise.  This way you have the tokens if the machines have run out or stopped working.  And take a couple pods and dryer sheets with you.  $6 is quite enough for one load of wash and drying!  

Pooh

3 hours ago, neverbeenhere said:

3) return to laundry 

You did it again Neverbeenhere best answer have one on me 🥃 😁.

The Captain of The Rowboat,

Tony

• Like 1

we were on the Sun recently and the token machines in the laundry were "under maintenance".  A sign told us to get tokens from our room steward or, if outside his hours, from the passenger services desk. I went and found our steward who gave us the tokens needed from a pouch he was carrying.  I expected to have a charge on our account but never did, so free laundry!  

15 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

You did it again Neverbeenhere best answer have one on me 🥃 😁.

Tony

The rowboat offered free laundry to elite passengers..use the washboard and wash tub, and dry them on the side of the boat or on the oars :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, patch nine said:

we were on the Sun recently and the token machines in the laundry were "under maintenance".  A sign told us to get tokens from our room steward or, if outside his hours, from the passenger services desk. I went and found our steward who gave us the tokens needed from a pouch he was carrying.  I expected to have a charge on our account but never did, so free laundry!  

awwww damn!  now you've done it   

On 11/15/2018 at 12:37 PM, Micah's Grandad said:

We find that one dry cycle is not enough to totally dry clothes so often we take semi wet stuff back to cabin and dry it there.

Oh no!! Has that happened recently?  I used to have it happen all the time (needing 2 cycles to dry).  I thought it had been addressed with newer machines!  I haven't noticed it to be an issue on our last couple of cruises. 

Edited by jennybenny

On 11/15/2018 at 3:37 PM, Micah's Grandad said:

We find that one dry cycle is not enough to totally dry clothes so often we take semi wet stuff back to cabin and dry it there.

I could be wrong but if some one opens the dryer to see if it has a load in it, it might stop the dryer.  And there might be a button that needs to be pressed to restart the dryer.  I don't remember if Princess's dryers have that button or work that way.

2 hours ago, jwattle said:

The rowboat offered free laundry to elite passengers..use the washboard and wash tub, and dry them on the side of the boat or on the oars 🙂

jwattle, 

We usually jump overboard  with a bar of soap and wash our clothes. Then lay in the sun until the clothes are dry....😀😀😀

Tony

2 hours ago, Lucky TGO said:

jwattle, 

We usually jump overboard  with a bar of soap and wash our clothes. Then lay in the sun until the clothes are dry....😀😀😀

Tony

Excellent!! Services have been upgraded when so many other cruise lines are cutting back. That's why we love cruising on the Rowboat! 😁

47 minutes ago, jwattle said:

Excellent!! Services have been upgraded when so many other cruise lines are cutting back. That's why we love cruising on the Rowboat! 😁

Jwattle,

That’s what I like the most. It makes me very happy 😁 That my friends love cruising on The Rowboat. 

Have one on the Captain 🥃 😁.

Tony

• Like 1

8 hours ago, geocruiser said:

I could be wrong but if some one opens the dryer to see if it has a load in it, it might stop the dryer.  And there might be a button that needs to be pressed to restart the dryer.  I don't remember if Princess's dryers have that button or work that way.

You are correct. Opening the dryer stops the drying and it does not resume when the door is closed until the start button is pressed. People who open the door do not realize that.