Day in Tampa--What to do

CRUZN-IS-FUN

so, we will be getting off the Carnival Paradise on Saturday, January 19.  Our flight is not until 4:45 pm.  Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions of what to do to kill the day.  We will have luggage, but not opposed to renting a car to get somewhere and store our luggage.  Thoughts???  We were hoping that we could get a 1/2 day pass for Busch Gardens, but can't find that option.  Thanks.

Off the ship and into a rental car about 9:00-9:30 and you need to be at TPA about 3:00 for your flight - 6 hours is not a lot of time.  The beaches of Clearwater or exploring St. Petersburg are options. 

You can store your bags at the aquarium near the port until they close.  The aquarium is good, and there are a few place nearby for lunch - or taxi to nearby Ybor city for more options.

I agree that 6 hours isn't much time. You could go to Lowry Park Zoo. If you like breweries, Coppertail is near the port and I like their beer and food (try the Unholy Trippel). I don't know if I would chance it going to the beaches as traffic to and from can inexplicably build up and cause delays. It's just under an hour to Clearwater beach from the port and just over an hour from the port to Siesta Key (the nicer of the two IMO). If you like higher end shopping, I really like Old Hyde Park. Buddy Brew coffee there has some great fresh roasted coffee you can take home if you're into that. Port to the Dali museum and back to airport is about an hour's worth of driving altogether. If you go a little further that direction you can go over the Skyway bridge and go to the state park just on the other side, it's a shame you wouldn't have time to watch a sunset there.

Our flight time out post-cruise was very close to yours.  It was a short walk with our luggage to the aquarium (we were at the RCL dock, so I'm not sure about the distance from the Carnival pier).  They have a luggage storage right inside the lobby.  We spent several hours there and then took a Lyft to the airport (less than $20 for the Lyft).  

Edited by o-state girl