Viking Sky - Deck 4 or 8 Heights

Mstampa

First time cruising  with Viking.  Departing in next week on the Viking Sky - Iconic Western Mediterranean.  Currently, we have a Penthouse Veranda Stateroom on deck 4.  We have been offered a  deck 8 Penthouse Junior Suite upgrade for minimal cost.

This will be my husband's first cruise and he also has a fear of heights.  Nevertheless, he won't be going near any deck railings.

Will being on deck 4 or 8 seem any higher off the water?  Is it a smoother ride in rougher seas on a low or higher deck?  Are you able to hear the waves hitting the bow from the port side of the ship, forward cabins?

Thank you in advance for your help.

Deck # 8 will be 25 to 30 feet higher above the water than deck # 4.

You experience more movement the further you move from the ship's CoG. Therefore, going higher and further fwd or aft will experience more movement..

Fwd cabins tend to get more slamming from the waves. Hearing waves has too many variables such as ship's course with respect to wind direction and sea state.

• Like 1

We were on deck 3 on the Sky recently from Venice to Athens and we had rough seas and it was quite rocky and you know how the saying goes "the more you pay the more you sway" meaning the higher up you are the worse it is!

We are doing the Iconic Western Med for Xmas on the Sky so will be interested to know what the weather is like and the sea when you return.

Edited by peasmith
Add more detail

3 hours ago, Parsley Cruises said:

Deck 8 is great as it’s nearer to things like the cafe and pool. 

Definitely closer to the pool & cafe; but, it is much further from the MDR, specialty restaurants, theatre, spa, gangways, etc.

Agree with Parsley.  It’s very quiet on Deck 8. And the Jr. Suites are much larger than the PV rooms. 

As far as the original question, as long as DH doesn’t look down when he’s near the rail, but only looks toward the horizon, it shouldn’t matter too much where you stay, in terms of height fears.  

We we went through very rough seas between Oman and India on Orion;  lots of passengers and crew were under the weather;  but it didn’t bother us at all in 8016.

I also have a great fear of heights.  We are just off a 15 day cruise on the Star.   We had a cabin on deck 4 ...mid ship.   I wanted to be near the atrium if any rocking started..I always think safety in numbers and there are always people in the atrium!      We were blessed with great weather and only moderate movement towards the end of the cruise..otherwise it was lovely.   I amazed myself by even visiting deck

8 ( while we were in port)!   Have a wonderful cruise!