Jump to content
Zendeck

How do u spend onboard credits not avail until cruise date

Recommended Posts

I was fortunate to get a nice onboard credit w my booking on symphony next April.  On another cruise line I have always selected all of my excursions and packages prior to the cruise date and the fee would get netted against my onboard credits and the balance would just go on my onboard account.  It looks like w RC the fee is charged at point of sale.  I pre-plan to ensure we get everything we want but that’s going to leave me w a pretty big onboard credit that I will lose.  I hoped to net against my drink pkg but I already purchased because the boards warned of rate hikes.  I’ve also booked bogo and some activities and I now want to book some excursions.  There will be nothing to net against by the time we board.  

 

Perhaps I will use for tips if that is allowed? ( 4 in suite for 7 days).....How does that work w onboard credit.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have mine available for tours, dining, drink packages and my cruise is May 2019. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Zendeck said:

I was fortunate to get a nice onboard credit w my booking on symphony next April.  On another cruise line I have always selected all of my excursions and packages prior to the cruise date and the fee would get netted against my onboard credits and the balance would just go on my onboard account.  It looks like w RC the fee is charged at point of sale.  I pre-plan to ensure we get everything we want but that’s going to leave me w a pretty big onboard credit that I will lose.  I hoped to net against my drink pkg but I already purchased because the boards warned of rate hikes.  I’ve also booked bogo and some activities and I now want to book some excursions.  There will be nothing to net against by the time we board.  

 

Perhaps I will use for tips if that is allowed? ( 4 in suite for 7 days).....How does that work w onboard credit.  

 

Yes, you can use your OBC for gratuities.  

 

4 x 7 x $17.50 = $490

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This credit has small print ‘not avail until sail date’.  Happy to have it but c’mon.....what a strategy..... of course I’m going to pre plan everything for the annual family vacation....so I’ll end up having to spend more just to use the credit 😡

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Merion_Mom said:

 

Yes, you can use your OBC for gratuities.  

 

4 x 7 x $17.50 = $490

 

 

 

Perfect......that will still leave a bit more credit but I feel better and can justify a spa activity without pre planning.  Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Zendeck said:

This credit has small print ‘not avail until sail date’.  Happy to have it but c’mon.....what a strategy..... of course I’m going to pre plan everything for the annual family vacation....so I’ll end up having to spend more just to use the credit 😡

 

PBC from a travel agent isn’t available until you get on board.  OBC issued by Royal generally is available for use before you board to purchase things in your cruise planner.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Zendeck said:

 

Perfect......that will still leave a bit more credit but I feel better and can justify a spa activity without pre planning.  Thank you!

 

Spa, souvenirs, liquor, bingo, casino (for a 3% fee), internet.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Merion_Mom said:

 

Spa, souvenirs, liquor, bingo, casino (for a 3% fee), internet.  

 

Oh I know how to spend it..... I’m just trying not too!!!!!  

😂

 

just thought of another thing.....arcade for the kids?  Just feels better knowing that the credit is going towards a true expense that we would have vs splurging.  The suite is a splurge for us and pkgs I’ve purchased.....but yes you are correct I’ve been studying all the ways I can spend money on this amazing ship!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Ourusualbeach said:

 

PBC from a travel agent isn’t available until you get on board.  OBC issued by Royal generally is available for use before you board to purchase things in your cruise planner.

 

Interesting I’ll recheck the contract.  I did go thru TA but I thought it was a RC special back when I booked.  I did get other OBC that I did net against kids drink pkg  but I thought that was from TA.  Regardless, glad I can use for tips.  Gives me the feeling I got something for free vs looking for something to spend it on.  Mind games 😉

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The obc from your TA is probably refundable obc.  You can goto guest services and withdraw it if it is refundable.  But if some obc is non refundable and some is refundable, the non refunable obc will be used first for any on board charges to the account (ie gratuities).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always leave the obc for tips.  It reduces the overall out-of-pocket, or OOP as I like to say.

Edited by pcur

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I didn't realize that if using my OBC in the casino it was 3% instead of the 5% if using my SeaPass that is associated with my credit card.  Has it been this way for a while?  I haven't done either of these, but will have a goodly amount of OBC next cruise,

 

I usually use some of it to tip additionally in the specialty restaurants and have cashed out the balance at the end of the cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Has anyone ever tried booking your excursions pre-cruise, then cancel them onboard (to get the credit back to your card), then rebooking to use the OBC that is only available onboard?  Just asking for a friend. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

Has anyone ever tried booking your excursions pre-cruise, then cancel them onboard (to get the credit back to your card), then rebooking to use the OBC that is only available onboard?  Just asking for a friend. 

That would work except for two issues: the price on board may be higher than pre-cruise and it may sell out by the time you try to re-book it on board. Also, you need to cancel at least 48 hrs out so that wouldn't work for an excursion on the first two days.

Edited by Biker19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Biker19 said:

That would work except for two issues: the price on board may be higher than pre-cruise and it may sell out by the time you try to re-book it on board. Also, you need to cancel at least 48 hrs out so that wouldn't work for an excursion on the first two days.

 

Agree with the 48 hour window, but it technically would not be sold out if you are taking the same slot you originally booked. 

 

The only problem would be if they sold the open slot to someone who was wait listed. Although it may be more expensive onboard, you are using your OBC. 

Edited by h20skibum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, h20skibum said:

 Although it may be more expensive onboard, you are using your OBC. 

You can get your OBC back without spending it - the TA OBC which you can't use pre-cruise is refundable. Even the RCI non-refundable OBC (which for most folks is not more than the grats) can sometimes be refunded.

Edited by Biker19

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I checked my contract and it is a special Bonus offer.  It appears to be jointly from RC and TA for being a first timer to the TA.  So as folks have indicated, the credit that has appeared on my account was indeed from RC and is netting against purchases.  But the other larger Bonus credit will not appear until embarkation day and HAS NO CASH VALUE AND IS NOT TRANSFERABLE. 

 

I've got a question out to my TA to confirm that I can apply towards tips and arcade etc. 

 

There is no way I'm not using that bonus!  But I really want to net against my OOP!  Just makes it feel like a better deal!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Zendeck said:

I checked my contract and it is a special Bonus offer.  It appears to be jointly from RC and TA for being a first timer to the TA.  So as folks have indicated, the credit that has appeared on my account was indeed from RC and is netting against purchases.  But the other larger Bonus credit will not appear until embarkation day and HAS NO CASH VALUE AND IS NOT TRANSFERABLE. 

 

I've got a question out to my TA to confirm that I can apply towards tips and arcade etc. 

 

There is no way I'm not using that bonus!  But I really want to net against my OOP!  Just makes it feel like a better deal!

 

 

 

The OBC will appear on your SeaPass account as a credit.  Anything that you charge on board will be a debit.  The OBC will pay for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Forum Jump
    • Categories
      • Victory Cruise Lines Sweepstakes - Enter now for a chance to win a free 9-night cruise on Victory II
      • Holiday Exchange - Jingle and Mingle 2018
      • Forum Assistance
      • New Cruisers
      • Community Contests
      • Cruise Lines “A – O”
      • Cruise Lines “P – Z”
      • River Cruising
      • ROLL CALLS
      • Digital Photography & Cruise Technology
      • Member Cruise Reviews
      • Special Interest Cruising
      • Cruise Discussion Topics
      • UK Cruising
      • Australia & New Zealand Cruisers
      • North American Homeports
      • Ports of Call
      • Cruise Conversations
×