Recent experience with Little French Key?

sallybrown2012

I was going to book this based on my previous research as of a few months ago, but then saw a post from Nov. 6 that seemed to indicate that the place is going downhill - the poster reported long lines upon arrival, no space for beach chairs, overall crowds, and no animals as advertised.  Has anyone been recently that could comment on their experience?  We'll be there (from the Caribbean Princess, which doesn't dock until noon) in February.  Many thanks.

• 3 weeks later...

See my post in the other thread.  They had a fire and I don't think they have reopened.  

Big French Key is open.  It's not the same.  It's more primitive, but has a beautiful beach.  You can see LFK, which is very nearby.

You could try Beach Club Roatan.  It is our favorite.  The restaurant is super.  They have lots of water activities, including wave runners and snorkeling plus lots of other things.  They have the best horseback riding on the island.  

I know all this because we vacation on the island for 3 months a year and have for the last 8 years.

I just left LFK and it is indeed open. The big animals with the exception of a pair of jaguars are on Roatan at Frenchy’s 44, not LFK. They are building a bar and a restaurant in place of the Beach House. It was pretty emotional for me to go back but I’m glad I did. You shouldn’t be concerned about going there at all. There is no evidence of a fire besides where they have construction and that doesn’t affect the service. 

I just left LFK and it is indeed open. The big animals with the exception of a pair of jaguars are on Roatan at Frenchy’s 44, not LFK. They are building a bar and a restaurant in place of the Beach House. It was pretty emotional for me to go back but I’m glad I did. You shouldn’t be concerned about going there at all. There is no evidence of a fire besides where they have construction and that doesn’t affect the service. 

We arrive on the island ( ROATAN) on January 4 and will be there for an extended time.

I will try to remember to post when we visit LFK.

I am so glad to hear that the signs of the fire are no longer visible.

It is a beautiful little island.

We have always enjoyed the food at Frenchy's 44, on the mainland of Roatan.

Judy

Edited by Travel Junkie Judy