Best/economic hotel before departure out of Port Everglades

Ellaleah

We are flying into Fort Lauderdale late evening the night before our February cruise.  The prices in the hotels that are in the Port Everglades area are very high at that time.  I have browsed North Ft Lauderdale, where the prices seem to be a lot more reasonable.  It is only about $23 to take an Uber XL to the port with a sizable reduction in the hotel rate.  Is this a good idea?  Is there another area surrounding Port Everglades that I should check out?  Thank you fir your input and suggestions.

Ouch! Yes, even my standby hotels on the Marina Mile that's normally under $150 are then about $250 and up!

It appears the Plantation area still have hotels for under $200. I would probaby start there unless you want small unknown boutique places or Motel 6 near the Port.

5 hours ago, Ellaleah said:

1 night

2/15/19

That is the first night of President's Day weekend with many families vacationing, including cruising,  the following week (winter vacation in the northeast and other states).  It is usually the most expensive weekend in Febuary.

I also booked the new Wyndham Garden on Federal Hwy on lastminutetravel.com for 145.00 or so for January. I think it finally opened last week.

My back up was going to be Staybridge Suites in Plantation which was about 200.00 per night.

We stayed at the Rodeway Inn two years ago which I got on a blind booking through hotwire (3*). They put us on the outside section and it was really not nice at all. My husband, who is a very street-wise guy, said he felt like we could have been mugged walking to our room at night. There were very unsavory looking characters hanging around and the hotel manager literally screamed at us because we decided to take a taxi to the port instead of the hotel shuttle. Wow.

I like that Wyndham (in Dania) myself but their rates are increasing after the opening specials expire. On Feb 15 2019 they are posting rates over $300.

I recently stayed at the new Comfort Suites (go here for information) a few blocks north and that was very pleasant but they are sold out that night. BTW - It is a very good budget hotel for future reference!  

• 2 weeks later...