Does cabin attendant know who has prepaid/all inclusive gratuities?

nclsuncruiser

Does cabin attendant know who has prepaid/all inclusive gratuities? 

I'm on premium all inclusive, so gratuities are included, but would like to leave extra for cabin attendent. But I'm wondering if I leave a little 'extra', and someone else hasn't got inclusive chooses to direct tip, and therefore leave more, so I look like a cheapskate or does attendent know? If that makes sense. 

Or, if most people without inclusive just pay at the end on their bill, maybe its all the same, in which case how much is a 'decent' extra tip, what's poor, and if you leave nothing extra do they think you're mean?! 

I don't know if they know or not, but don't let that stop you from tipping what you would like to tip.  There is no need to show-up someone else or feel your tip is not adequate,, because no matter what the tip amount is, the person receiving it will be appreciative that you thought of them.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, JennyB1977 said:

Once again, Walker doesn't add facts that interfere with his agenda.  He fails to mention that the MCL 2006 (Maritime Labor Convention), which has been in force since 2013, guarantees a minimum wage for all seafarers.  Also, that article only references Carnival as having a published list of gratuity status.  In my time at NCL, there was no such list, but just the contrary, where if a person had removed or reduced the DSC, then the steward and/or wait staff were questioned about their level of service.

• Like 2

Can you go to the service desk and ask that extra gratuities to specific people to be added to your on board charges?

We will be taking a longer SA Cruise in a suite.  With the currency in Argentina in flux, we will need dollars in case ATM’s become difficult for getting currency.  Adding what I will need in dollars for extra gratuities (in a suite), the post cruise in Argentina and pre cruise in Panama(stop on the way downtown embarkation), I will be carrying more dollars through Central and South America than is comfortable, given theft risk.  If I could put the extra gratuities on my account would lessen the amount of cash carry.

1 hour ago, buggins0402 said:

Can you go to the service desk and ask that extra gratuities to specific people to be added to your on board charges?

Yes, just take the crew members first and last name and position to Guest Services and they can add what you want to your account.

40 minutes ago, NLH Arizona said:

Yes, just take the crew members first and last name and position to Guest Services and they can add what you want to your account.

Thank you, perfect!  3x points on a Reserve Card is an added bonus. Will the staff member know? I would hate to think those that we believe deserve extra, think we are stiffing them. 

6 minutes ago, buggins0402 said:

Thank you, perfect!  3x points on a Reserve Card is an added bonus. Will the staff member know? I would hate to think those that we believe deserve extra, think we are stiffing them. 

Yes, but they will also give you a receipt, which you can give the crew member.

11 hours ago, cathi007 said:

Thanks, a good article

don't believe everything you read: I have no idea if they do or do not, but my guess, they do not and regardless, I don't know what difference this makes? If you haven't pre-paid them, you will be accessed the charge each day, so it comes out the same and if you are wondering about service, remember a lot of us, add a little at the end of the cruise for good service, so, hopefully the cabin steward will try to make our cruise special by doing an exceptionally good job. 

16 hours ago, nclsuncruiser said:

Does cabin attendant know who has prepaid/all inclusive gratuities? I'm on premium all inclusive, so gratuities are included, but would like to leave extra for cabin attendant. But I'm wondering if I leave a little 'extra', and someone else hasn't got inclusive chooses to direct tip, and therefore leave more, so I look like a cheapskate or does attendant know? If that makes sense. Or, if most people without inclusive just pay at the end on their bill, maybe its all the same, in which case how much is a 'decent' extra tip, what's poor, and if you leave nothing extra do they think you're mean?! 

It really does not matter. If you want to leave something extra, leave it. Whether all inclusive or Daily Service Charge, the vast majority of cruisers are paying automatically. And most will leave a little something extra (we normally leave $5 per person, per day of cruise). 

14 hours ago, NLH Arizona said:

Just as an FYI, and not sure if these is even comparing apples to apples, but on my last cruise I was having dinner in a specialty restaurant with my platinum coupon and wanted to leave a tip for my waiter. I asked him if I put the tip on the charge slip would it go to him. He told me it does not; it only goes to him if I leave it in cash. He seemed reluctant to tell me this, and I was mortified. I'm sure everyone thinks if they tip their waiter, or anyone else on their credit card, that it would go to that person. I made sure to leave the tip in cash, and always give extra money to my room steward in cash.

For what it's worth.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Barb Nahoumi said:

Beside handing extra tips to our cabin stewards and waiters, we write positive comment cards about them, and leave them at the Guest Services Desk.  Hopefully these comment cards will help the employee's future with the cruiseline.

Vacation Hero cards are a huge part of a crew members performance evaluation, eligiblity for incentives, rewards etc...... I pick up a dozen or so my first day to recognize staff throughout the cruise. Some may argue this is more appreciated than the $1 given because Vacation Hero cards are cumulative for their entire contract.

Edited by esm54687
  • Like 2

I am a little confused. Are you guys talking about the "prepaid service charge" or "gratuity". There is a difference. How can a cruise line dictated a prepaid gratuity amount when that is paid after a service is provided and to individuals providing direct services. I thought gratuities were given above and beyond the service charge you pay.  I personally do not give out gratuities until after services have been provided. I only give gratuities to individuals who have provide direct service(s) to me. 

The "service charge" is what is shared among everyone from the cabin stewards to those behind the scene. That is what you can prepay. I have never seen charges on my printout for "Gratuities".  I have seen charges for "Daily Service Charge".

I think you guys are talking apple and oranges. I think you are really mean to speak to prepaid service charges. There is no such thing as being billed for prepaid gratuity. The two are often intertwined and confused.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Goldconnection said:

I am a little confused. Are you guys talking about the "prepaid service charge" or "gratuity". There is a difference. How can a cruise line dictated a prepaid gratuity amount when that is paid after a service is provided and to individuals providing direct services. I thought gratuities were given above and beyond the service charge you pay.  I personally do not give out gratuities until after services have been provided. I only give gratuities to individuals who have provide direct service(s) to me. 

The "service charge" is what is shared among everyone from the cabin stewards to those behind the scene. That is what you can prepay. I have never seen charges on my printout for "Gratuities".  I have seen charges for "Daily Service Charge".

I think you guys are talking apple and oranges. I think you are really mean to speak to prepaid service charges. There is no such thing as being billed for prepaid gratuity. The two are often intertwined and confused.

The OP asked if they could give the Cabin Steward "extra" (they are all inclusive, meaning they don't pay the DSC it is rolled into their fare).  The OP then asked if they could add the extra gratuities at Service Desk and have it added to their onboard account.  The answer to both questions was yes.

17 hours ago, buggins0402 said:

Love my Chase Sapphire Reserve!

21 hours ago, KateQ22003 said:

Just as an FYI, and not sure if these is even comparing apples to apples, but on my last cruise I was having dinner in a specialty restaurant with my platinum coupon and wanted to leave a tip for my waiter. I asked him if I put the tip on the charge slip would it go to him. He told me it does not; it only goes to him if I leave it in cash. He seemed reluctant to tell me this, and I was mortified. I'm sure everyone thinks if they tip their waiter, or anyone else on their credit card, that it would go to that person. I made sure to leave the tip in cash, and always give extra money to my room steward in cash.

For what it's worth.

I have heard the same thing. 

On 11/17/2018 at 8:59 AM, KateQ22003 said:

For what it's worth.

We slip them some cash, knowing that it will go directly to them.