Booked my first AZAMARA CRUISE!

Lois R

Hi folks, just booked my first Azamara cruise...…...going on Journey in April for 11 nights...…...NYC to NYC...…..sails to Bermuda and Charleston!

After many years of sailing Celebrity, more recently I have sailed Silversea (past 2 cruises were with them).  I love the small ship experience and as a solo cruiser hoping Azamara gives me that same welcoming feel to it.  I know many of the names on this forum (Hi Phil:classic_biggrin:)….and any points of interest or friendly words of advice would be welcomed from me too.

Now I have to book my flight and hotel room!

Hey Lois!  Congratulations.  I hope you enjoy Azamara and Journey.  Looking at the officer schedule I see Johannes is Captain (he is great) and will be going back to Charleston where he lives, so he may leave part way through as it’s the end of his contract.  I’m sure you will have a wonderful time.

Phil

Good morning and thanks for the replies.  Hey Phil, hope you are doing well.:classic_biggrin: 

Yes,  I looked at the newbie thread, thanks! Very helpful tips to be sure.   Just signed up for the Meet & Mingle too!  It said it was not there last night but this morning it let me register. So that is done:)

I booked my flight already flying into JFK and now looking for a hotel.  I have seen a good recommendation for The Michelangelo and it is in a good location. 

Now the waiting begins:classic_wacko:

We took our first AZ cruise this summer.  All I can say is, you're going to love it.  The country-intensive itinerary is what drew us in and what got us looking to them first.  We even booked our first B2B ever while on board.   I love the size.  We thought we'd be S-class Celebrity cruisers forever but AZ had us at "welcome home."

Hi Lois, I also am trying out Azamara -- on a short cruise to Cuba leaving on Tuesday!  I'm hoping it will be another 'small ship' option for me and as you know I'm also a solo traveler most of the time. So far I like what I've seen and heard -- love all the overnights and the focus on destinations.

4 hours ago, hiccups said:

We looked at that cruise since it offers a PerryGolf option, but didn't want to go to Bermuda that early in the year.  You may find some golf widows if you're looking for sightseeing company  :)

Hi,:classic_biggrin: I have been to Bermuda a couple of times before......thanks for the suggestion.  This may sound off putting, and I don't mean it to be but I don't care if I meet "Golf Widows"...…..I know what that is......I have been sailing solo for 15 years and I actually love my own company.:classic_smile:

As long as people are friendly, I don't care if they are married, widowed *for real...….divorced, etc..... and I LOVE golf, although I don't play, I have followed the game of golf since I was a young girl (and I am now 60 LOL). 

Hi Lois

you will love Azamara. I took my first cruise on AZ in June on Journey and have a b2b scheduled for next April on Pursuit. There is such a difference in the great way solo travelers are treated by crew and passengers on AZ compared to Celebrity. I don’t think I have ever met so many friendly, interesting and welcoming people on a cruise.

and the food is great too! No wonder why Azamara has so many repeat customers!  I usually travel solo and prefer it that way but it was nice how inclusive the Azamara passengers are compared to some other lines.

Anne

Edited by ptrpanpens

Hi Anne, thanks for your reply.  To be honest, I was always  treated very well on Celebrity.  But glad to know the staff on Azamara is good too.  I had some major life changes and so have the opportunity to sail (what I consider) luxury. Smaller ships, less people...….I did notice on major difference is the food...….

Silversea is awesome...….everything is much fresher, more made to order since the amount of guests

are so much less...…I am sure I will enjoy Azamara too...though I did notice folks say the cabins are smaller...like on the big ships.....they still have shower curtains? Silversea is all shower doors......separate tub from the shower as well.

Hi Lois

yes the cabins on Azamara are smaller and they have shower curtains. But it didnt bother me as the experience was so much better than on larger ships. I still sail Celebrity if the itinerary is great but prefer Azamara for the outstanding friendliness of the passengers and crew. I have not sailed Silversea but imagine that would be a great experience also.

anne

23 hours ago, nordski said:

Hope you really enjoy your upcoming cruise.

On the River Cruising Forum, found your conflicting thoughts on reserving another river cruise very interesting and relatable.

Thanks.…...yes, I had to make a choice (the right one) and was too wishy washy to book that...….of course Uniworld still has 200.00 of my money so I will do a cruise with them eventually LOL...…..

22 hours ago, ClaudiaB said:

We took our first AZ cruise this summer.  All I can say is, you're going to love it.  The country-intensive itinerary is what drew us in and what got us looking to them first.  We even booked our first B2B ever while on board.   I love the size.  We thought we'd be S-class Celebrity cruisers forever but AZ had us at "welcome home."

Hi Claudia, I think we sailed on Celebrity together a long time ago...….glad you enjoyed Azamara!

22 hours ago, cruisemom42 said:

Hi Lois, I also am trying out Azamara -- on a short cruise to Cuba leaving on Tuesday!  I'm hoping it will be another 'small ship' option for me and as you know I'm also a solo traveler most of the time. So far I like what I've seen and heard -- love all the overnights and the focus on destinations.

Hey Cynthia:classic_biggrin: hope you have a great cruise and would love to know your thoughts upon your return!

Hi Lois,

The Michaelangelo is a terrific hotel.  It's been some years since we stayed there, but we loved it.

We sailed Azamara for the first time last month and after sailing Silversea and Seabourn found it was not our cup of tea.  I foolishly signed up for a 2nd cruise on AZ (terrific itinerary to Cuba), so we'll have a chance to try it again, but I am not optomistic!

1 hour ago, mpfund said:

Hi Lois,

The Michaelangelo is a terrific hotel.  It's been some years since we stayed there, but we loved it.

We sailed Azamara for the first time last month and after sailing Silversea and Seabourn found it was not our cup of tea.  I foolishly signed up for a 2nd cruise on AZ (terrific itinerary to Cuba), so we'll have a chance to try it again, but I am not optomistic!

Hi, so sorry you did not enjoy your cruise.  I am hoping to have a good time  (it is rare that I don't have good cruises:classic_smile:)

As for the hotel, still not sure where I am going to stay!

Lois,

you will enjoy Azamara. It is like Celebrity with a bonus.  I love the small size.  Never any crowds or lines. I still cruise on other lines. Most recent Oct.Nov.was Oceania, next is Celebrity, March Seabourne, and July we will be on

azamara Quest.  I enjoy most cruises. I also try not to book more than 2 cruises on the same line in the same year.  I have sailed more cruises on Celebrity....about 25-30.. Lost the count.  Azamara and Celebrity comingle Captains Club and Azamara club status. I am elite plus on Celebrity and discoverer plus on Azamara. The only bad thing is that since I started cruising on Celebrity many years ago, Azamara's club booking free nights will never work for me. You will never get those free nights too. You will get other perks like laundry and internet.  Enjoy!

• Hello Lois;  your name rings a bell as we also are frequent cruisers on Celebrity. With that said, We also enjoy cruising on luxury or near luxury smaller ships such as Regent, Oceania and Azamara. The food and service are better and you actually see other pax more than once. There may be less or toned down amenities but that has not bothered us. True that the r class ships have smaller cabins and the annoying shower curtains, but overall we hope that you will enjoy A.