Cruise Critic Community
curtdesilets

Returning To Serenity

We just booked Serenity for a California Coastal Cruise out of San Pedro. It's been a while since we cruised Crystal. What do I need to know about reservations for dinner? I do understand Serenity is quite changed as of her dry dock earlier this year. We like to eat early, will that be a problem?  Any other tips will be appreciated.  - Curtis 

Serenity just came out of a major refurbishment just this month - the current cruise is her first since the dry dock. The biggest changes in terms of dining is that it is now open dining in the Main Dining Room, now called Waterside, so no reservations required. Prego and Umi Uma (used to be called Silk Road and is still the same restaurant, just a new name) still require reservations and the same rules apply as to number of free visits etc. Tastes has been replaced with a new Asian/Chinese restaurant called Silk. You can reserve on line as well as on board and often we just walk in. No fees. There are also 2 other dining options available. Part of the Lido (now called Marketplace) is open at night as a Brazilian Churrascaria - walk-ins only and no fees. There is also on BTO nights one other dining option and that is the Supper Club in the newly refurbished Stardust. Music, dinner and dancing. Only 108 seats and only one seating at 6.30pm. No fee but you can only book once on board.

For your initial reservations at Umi Uma, Prego and Silk you can book them online on PCPC once final payment has been made, which is the case for your cruise given it is soon

You can book one reservation at each of the three restaurants and then further reservations can be made once onboard - either on embarkation day or with the Specialty Restaurant Maître d whose availability will be published in Reflections - or just ring the Telephone Operator and they can make simple bookings in the specialty restaurants. For Silk reservations just talk to the Head Waiter there who handles reservations there

Not only are reservations no longer required for Waterside you can’t actually reserve tables there   at all - even once onboard. It requires you to see what’s available when you are ready to dine 

4 hours ago, curtdesilets said:

We just booked Serenity for a California Coastal Cruise out of San Pedro. It's been a while since we cruised Crystal. What do I need to know about reservations for dinner? I do understand Serenity is quite changed as of her dry dock earlier this year. We like to eat early, will that be a problem?  Any other tips will be appreciated.  - Curtis 

What a nice itinerary.  

Since this is a seven day cruise be sure to make reservations for the specialty restaurants as soon as you can after making final payment and it would likely be difficult to get additional reservations beyond that at least for Umi Uma (formally Silk Road but serving pretty much the same menu) and Prego.  It might be easier for Silk the new Asian restaurant but even that one might be difficult.  Assuming you go with three that would leave you four nights at Waterside.

While there are no BTO nights on the seven day cruise more than likely the type of menu you may remember from Black Tie Optional nights will be available on the second night of the cruise in Waterside.  So if you like items such as Lobster that would be a nice night to dine there.  If you don't than that would be a nice night to dine at one of the other three restaurants as many people do like the menus that you find on BTO night so Waterside would be busy.  More than likely another menu similar to what you may have had on BTO nights will be available two nights before you disembark.  

Since it has been a while since you last sailed Crystal you may want to check out the sticky thread I do for first time Crystal Cruisers just as a refresher.

I recently updated it to reflect changes from the recent dry dock of Serenity.

Keith

Thanks for all the WELL CRAFTED responses.  I now know all I need to know. My favorite cruise line is Crystal BTW, because it is simply no hassle.  We have cruised several lines, but there is a reason why Crystal gets all of the rewards. So looking forward to a great Cruise.  Thanks again!   - Curtis 

Since your cruise is so short, you will not expect to have a Supper Club offering.

Have a great cruise! I think it's the cruise with Eddie Kantar onboard giving bridge lessons. He's a super star with a great personality. If it didn't conflict with my schedule in Florida, I would've cruised just for the chance of bumping into him at the Bistro!