Cruise Critic Community
LINDAE3213

RCCL RTF6 3 stop snorkel excursion

Has anyone taken the Royal Caribbean code RTF6   premier 3 stop snorkel adventure in Roatan and can comment on this excursion?

Not sure who they use -- it mentions starfish alley, the reef and then the shipwreck.  3 hours - adults are $79

I have been to Roatan before - -once - -and took a Celebrity snorkel excursion but it was over 10 years ago.

thanks 

linda 

I came to ask this exact question, so I'm hoping you get a reply soon. Have fun on your trip.

Amye

On ‎12‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 5:40 PM, LINDAE3213 said:

I booked it during the sale for $67 each...will post after march 31 allure sailing about it.

Hi!  I've been searching for comments on this excursion for awhile and not finding anything.  How was the tour?  Can you tell me how long you were at each site?  Any info you can give me or link to me would be much appreciated!  

I will be in Roatan tomorrow for this tour -- the ticket states  Unique Excursions and Charters is the tour operator.   I can't find them online.

There is no such thing as BAD snorkeling in Roatan.  Any snorkeling excursion by boat is going to be great.  Be sure to report back to us, with photos!

19 hours ago, ABQrobin said:

There is no such thing as BAD snorkeling in Roatan.  Any snorkeling excursion by boat is going to be great.  Be sure to report back to us, with photos!

My apologies for disagreeing... but when visibility due to weather is poor the snorkeling is also. 

I have seen West Bay look more like the Mississippi river. 

3 minutes ago, Guest 2000 said:

My apologies for disagreeing... but when visibility due to weather is poor the snorkeling is also. 

I have seen West Bay look more like the Mississippi river. 

You are right, if there has been rain for several days,  the water can be murky.  What I was referring to was the quality of all the snorkel sites...Roatan has great reefs that are shallow and close to shore, so no need to be out in wavy, rocky ocean like at some destinations.  Roatan's reefs are healthy and very accessible.  

2 minutes ago, ABQrobin said:

You are right, if there has been rain for several days,  the water can be murky.  What I was referring to was the quality of all the snorkel sites...Roatan has great reefs that are shallow and close to shore, so no need to be out in wavy, rocky ocean like at some destinations.  Roatan's reefs are healthy and very accessible.  

Let us say can be muddy with rain.  I have also known West Bay to be murky without the weather. 

My apologies I just don't want people thinking the sun is always out and the water is always clear cause that is just not the case. :0) 

I agree the reef is close to shore and easy to access. 

still on ship now  -- Roatan was nice but this particular  snorkeling trip was not good. 

It was disorganized -- they did not communicate with us - we stood on the pier a long time,  we stood in the parking lot waiting for buses a long time, there was no engagement or conversation driving us the half hour to the location  - basically piled 20 of us in a small boat -- gave us snorkel and fins and at each stop told us ok get in the water. 

Starfish alley - which boasts dozens of starfish in the tour description was a joke -- i think i swam all around and saw 5. 

the reef area was ok - i saw a few fish -  but the water choppy and we had trouble with fighting the current to get back on the boat -- no one around to help us...we did get a little nervous until we could grab the ladder.       we did not bother to get off at the shipwreck  and others said it was tough getting back.   

As I mentioned, our ticket said Unique Excursions and Charters  but at the boat launch area - -the man in charge had a white shirt saying Christopher Tours ??  

It honestly felt like they hired some kids to drive the boats for the day.   

They were not experience tour guides - -they did not insist we wear life vests,  they did not have one leader in front and one leader  in back when the group was in the water.  

I made mention that night to our Diamond Lounge Concierge that the tour was lacking and I did not think represented RCCL tours well.   That the snorkel trip I had taken with Celebrity the last time I was in Roatan was better run and nicer experience.  I was sorry we lost the day on this tour and felt I should have picked another snorkel tour. 

Especially as we only took  this cruise from Miami  as we never did Oasis class and I wanted my husband to experience the snorkeling in Roatan.   ( we had priced out a land trip just to Roatan but it was expensive and involved stopover flights from NJ - we could not find anything direct  )

She said she would pass along our comments.

Today while we were out at Chaccobean in Costa Maya on a good tour - -the Shore Excursions team left me a voice mail  - they were sorry the tour did not meet our expectations and they refunded us 50% of the price.  I appreciate that but honestly still wish we had a better snorkel experience. 

Linda 

16 hours ago, LINDAE3213 said:

still on ship now  -- Roatan was nice but this particular  snorkeling trip was not good. 

It was disorganized -- they did not communicate with us - we stood on the pier a long time,  we stood in the parking lot waiting for buses a long time, there was no engagement or conversation driving us the half hour to the location  - basically piled 20 of us in a small boat -- gave us snorkel and fins and at each stop told us ok get in the water. 

Starfish alley - which boasts dozens of starfish in the tour description was a joke -- i think i swam all around and saw 5. 

the reef area was ok - i saw a few fish -  but the water choppy and we had trouble with fighting the current to get back on the boat -- no one around to help us...we did get a little nervous until we could grab the ladder.       we did not bother to get off at the shipwreck  and others said it was tough getting back.   

As I mentioned, our ticket said Unique Excursions and Charters  but at the boat launch area - -the man in charge had a white shirt saying Christopher Tours ??  

It honestly felt like they hired some kids to drive the boats for the day.   

They were not experience tour guides - -they did not insist we wear life vests,  they did not have one leader in front and one leader  in back when the group was in the water.  

I made mention that night to our Diamond Lounge Concierge that the tour was lacking and I did not think represented RCCL tours well.   That the snorkel trip I had taken with Celebrity the last time I was in Roatan was better run and nicer experience.  I was sorry we lost the day on this tour and felt I should have picked another snorkel tour. 

Especially as we only took  this cruise from Miami  as we never did Oasis class and I wanted my husband to experience the snorkeling in Roatan.   ( we had priced out a land trip just to Roatan but it was expensive and involved stopover flights from NJ - we could not find anything direct  )

She said she would pass along our comments.

Today while we were out at Chaccobean in Costa Maya on a good tour - -the Shore Excursions team left me a voice mail  - they were sorry the tour did not meet our expectations and they refunded us 50% of the price.  I appreciate that but honestly still wish we had a better snorkel experience. 

Linda 

Linda,  this is really good information and I very much appreciate it. 

Wow, that sounds awful.  It sounds like you ran into some bad weather and that boat/crew was not prepared for it at all.  Glad you got a partial refund. 

The weather was ok...i just think the area this tour was in perhaps was not a prime location for snorkeling....i will have to look at a map to see where Bight is.....we passed  mahogany bay on the 30 min ride to Bight.   And I don't think this tour group company was good...meaning experienced....they went through the motions..but nothing else....having snorkeled in aruba...st martin...st thomas  on tours  you kind of know good vs lame.

I blame myself..i picked a bad tour.

The description read well but ...

If anyone else took the tour...i hope they report it here....it would be great for everyone  to hear others opinion besides mine.

1 hour ago, LINDAE3213 said:

The weather was ok...i just think the area this tour was in perhaps was not a prime location for snorkeling....i will have to look at a map to see where Bight is.....we passed  mahogany bay on the 30 min ride to Bight.   And I don't think this tour group company was good...meaning experienced....they went through the motions..but nothing else....having snorkeled in aruba...st martin...st thomas  on tours  you kind of know good vs lame.

I blame myself..i picked a bad tour.

The description read well but ...

If anyone else took the tour...i hope they report it here....it would be great for everyone  to hear others opinion besides mine.

I am so sorry for this experience... perhaps you will be back to the island. I would bet dollars to donuts you were on the windward side of the island. Instead of the lagoon-ish bathtub calm side. 

The Roatan Marine Park runs from one end of Sandy Bay to the other end of West Bay. I truly believe the best snorkeling is within the marine park.