Last minute cell phone question

Does anyone know if a Verizon cell phone will work at see?  I know it would expensive, but there is an important call i need to make during one of our sea days.  We will be on Epic

thanks

Edited by 20165

On 11/17/2018 at 7:20 AM, 20165 said:

Does anyone know if a Verizon cell phone will work at see?  I know it would expensive, but there is an important call i need to make during one of our sea days.  We will be on Epic

thanks

No problem with working, just be aware that the price will be at least $2.99/minute, plus anything that Verizon may charge on top of that. If price matters check with Verizon. Be aware that with Verizon it is often possible to use Internet calling and you just pay for Internet access. I do it all the time, and never have any extra charges.

Your phone carrier, not the ship, charges you for using the ship's cell tower. Verizon charges $2.99 per minute. 

If you want to make wifi calls, you need to purchase the Premium Unlimited WiFi package on the ship which is $34.99 per day You have to purchase for the entire duration of your cruise $245 for a 7-day cruise. Probably cheaper to pay-by-the-minute unless it is a very long call. 

• 1 month later...
On ‎11‎/‎18‎/‎2018 at 12:55 PM, zqvol said:

No problem with working, just be aware that the price will be at least $2.99/minute, plus anything that Verizon may charge on top of that. If price matters check with Verizon. Be aware that with Verizon it is often possible to use Internet calling and you just pay for Internet access. I do it all the time, and never have any extra charges.

How would you use the internet for calling? I will be on the Sky & have chosen 100 minutes for a perk. If I could use it for calls that would be fantastic- have to check in on older parents.

We add international calling on our Verizon account every time we travel.  It is $10 per month to make international calls from Mexico.  We call right before we go and then cancel when we return.  We've never had any issues.  

1 hour ago, victory2020 said:

How would you use the internet for calling? I will be on the Sky & have chosen 100 minutes for a perk. If I could use it for calls that would be fantastic- have to check in on older parents.

It's an integrated feature of most (all?) newer phones.  See if your phone has a "Wifi calling" or something similar feature - my button is right next to the wifi button.  Google your phone model and wifi calling if you can't find it.

For use when you want to make sure you aren't using any mobile data:  Turn on airplane mode (turns off BOTH wifi and mobile), then turn WiFi back on (turns ON wifi).  Then turn on wifi calling and boom!  You're using the internet to make phone calls, with zero chance of it using mobile data.  Works great at any location with good internet.

9 hours ago, LeesaB said:

It's an integrated feature of most (all?) newer phones.  See if your phone has a "Wifi calling" or something similar feature - my button is right next to the wifi button.  Google your phone model and wifi calling if you can't find it.

For use when you want to make sure you aren't using any mobile data:  Turn on airplane mode (turns off BOTH wifi and mobile), then turn WiFi back on (turns ON wifi).  Then turn on wifi calling and boom!  You're using the internet to make phone calls, with zero chance of it using mobile data.  Works great at any location with good internet.

Thanks, I looked on the internet for my Galaxy S5 info but it didn't look like I had the same options on my phone. I'll research further.

11 hours ago, mumachaz said:

We add international calling on our Verizon account every time we travel.  It is $10 per month to make international calls from Mexico.  We call right before we go and then cancel when we return.  We've never had any issues.  

Wow, that's a great option. I'll call & find out if I can do that.

19 hours ago, mumachaz said:

If you have the unlimited plan with Verizon, México is included. Here is what they sent me for our cruise leaving this weekend.

0105CEFE-611B-4C2A-B621-6C742B0B4669.jpeg

22 hours ago, mumachaz said:

Which Verizon plan is that?