Down Under Souveniers

MVPinBoynton

Just back from the cruise. Way too many souvenirs. :( My personal opinion: I hated the vegemite (a similar taste to axel grease). Loved Marmit, brought some home.

Hi Mike

Glad you had a great time on the cruise and sorry we were so busy when you came to Tauranga. Trust your time here with us was up to your expectation.

I sent some emails to your tour partners who were hoping to do some flights from Chrsitchurch, did they get hooked up with something. Would appreciate any feedback you can give us, either here or direct to us by email.

Regards

Ian

Ian,

Your tour was the best! It was the highlight of the cruise. The couple with us on the tour did stay in Christchurch while there. I will be working on our review shortly and can't wait to go back and look at all of the great things we did while in Tauranga. What a beautiful city you live in. I am so jealous.

Globaliser,

I should have said salty axle grease. And I think the only place you can buy that is in Oz.

• 3 weeks later...

After reading through this, I thought I'd offer our chioces. I brought back several beautifully embroided tee shirts with local flora or fanua on them - my husband stuck with homemade jam that he picked up in Wellington. The one thing I wouldn't recommend - while on Tasmania, I picked up some professionally packaged seeds for my sister and they were confiscated at SFO...so close. Also brought home some kangaroo jerky. You're not going to find that at Cost Plus any time soon.

Charlie

Question: I would like to order some additional souvenirs from OZ online. Does anyone have a reputable store or information to make this possible for me?

I have noted many shops online under the heading of Australian gifts, but I

want to make sure using a credit card is not scammed and that I am chosing the right shop(s).

Because I was quite sick during most of my visit down under, I was unable to shop as I normally do and would like to order some things now.

Any suggestions would be well appreciated.

Many thanks.

Pam

• 7 months later...

We are going to AUS/NZ next year and I will have to give the Marmite/Vegemite taste-test comparison a try. However, having NEVER sampled axle grease in my life, I will try to compare the taste to something else I have actually eaten.

Missabby,

I have never tried axle grease either. Since it looked like it and tasted just dreadful, it seemed to me like it could taste like it looked. I do hope you can compare it to something that more people can relate to. I will try it again, since I can't imagine that people would eat it if what I had was what it normally tastes like. Enjoy!

Use the vegimite lightly and you should enjoy it. I have to post it overseas to my daughter so she can still eat it.

In Sydney you will find lots of souvenier places at Circular Quay or Darling Harbour. Toy kangaroos, koalos, road signs, and aboriginal prints or T-shirts. If you go to any of the attractions you will always find a shop with something "Ozzie" to talk home.

The important thing about a souvenier is that it is made in the country your buying it. I don't want to buy a souvenier from Australia made in China. I won't even bother buying one if it comes to that. On the islands in the Caribbean even it is sometimes very hard to find a home made one. Before someone gets upset, I know the cost to make these are a problem. Thank you.

Question: I would like to order some additional souvenirs from OZ online. Does anyone have a reputable store or information to make this possible for me?

I have noted many shops online under the heading of Australian gifts, but I

want to make sure using a credit card is not scammed and that I am chosing the right shop(s).

Because I was quite sick during most of my visit down under, I was unable to shop as I normally do and would like to order some things now.

Any suggestions would be well appreciated.

Many thanks.

Pam

What sort of souveniers are you looking for, may be able to help. Ian [Tauranga]

I'll pass on the vegemite, thanks, once was enough.

We brought back a beautifully painted boomerang signed by the aboriginal artist. Likewise, we also brought back a bark painting done by an aboriginal artist who lives in Arnham (sp?) land, which belongs to the Aboriginal people and very few white people are allowed. I got them in Kuranda and in Kakadu. You will be able to find amazing art in many places. Many people also bring home decorative digeridoos.

I couldn't resist an Australian crocodile belt. Quite a unique souvenir to bring back from this amazing country. There is no shortage of unique things to fill up your suitcases with. Your mind will be filled with so many wonderful memories too.

Archived