Suggestions on what to do with a 9 hour connection time in Toronto

Pearl64

We are flying next April from CLT to Dubai on Air Canada. Originally we had almost three hours between flights but flight changes have whittled that down to two hours. We were afraid of that scenario as that was the shortest time allowed by the airline. One never knows if flights will be delayed and we would need some sort of passport check as well. The only other flight that would work leaves much earlier. I am not looking at going into Toronto. Are there any close hotels where we could get a day room? I know that would mean clearing security again. Anything of interest at the airport? We are flying business so am not sure if we would have access to the AC lounge. I also don’t know what that is like. We would like to have a nice leisurely dinner before we board at 10: 30 pm. That’s way too late for us to have dinner. Suggestions for places to eat at the airport? We have never flown through Toronto so are open to suggestions from those who have experience.

Another question: do we need to have anything else besides our passports to fly from the US to Canada? We have done land many times but never by air.

Thank you.

Toronto is a big airport but there really isn’t anything unusual about it for making a longish layover pass quickly.  You’re in AC business class so you have access to the lounge for however long you need/want it.  If I were you, I’d just hunker down in the airport and try not to look at my watch too often.

Passport is all you need.

Edited by d9704011
  • Like 1

We have traveled all over the world and I must admit we flew business on Air Canada to Dubai and thought this was the best flight we ever had!   Very comfortable airplane and great service.   I think I fell asleep for about 5 to 6 hours on this flight and I NEVER do that!   Yes, it is a long time in Toronto (I think we had seven hours).   You will enjoy the flight!,

Yes, you will have access to Air Canada lounges, but even 9hrs at the very best lounges will seem like an eternity. It's really not that far from Pearson into the city and the weather in April should be pleasant (between 40*F and 55*F).  

If you are flying on a revenue ticket (i.e. paid in cash, not using miles, etc.) then you will also have access to Air Canada's Signature Suite in addition to the Maple Leaf Lounges. I've not used it yet but have read it is very good indeed for a business class dining experience.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/fly/premium-services/signature-suite.html

9hrs is plenty of time to get away from the airport and back again, including time for the lounge dining.

Edited by fbgd

the  SS  lounge  is  very nice  a bit small compared  to the Maple Leaf lounge or maybe it is the configuration that makes it seem smaller  😉

but  hot sit down meal or buffet  plus free bar  free WiFi

I think I saw showers  as well but  not sure   I know they have them in the ML lounge

you could always  shop  before heading to the lounge 

If you are not a US citizen  then check if you need a VISA or eTA

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/eta.html?utm_source=slash-eta_ave&utm_medium=short-url-en&utm_campaign=eta

You could  check the Sheraton at Terminal 3  for Day room  or  hop the link train to the Alt hotel about 4 mins away

3 hours ago, Pearl64 said:

We are flying next April from CLT to Dubai on Air Canada. Originally we had almost three hours between flights but flight changes have whittled that down to two hours. We were afraid of that scenario as that was the shortest time allowed by the airline. One never knows if flights will be delayed and we would need some sort of passport check as well. The only other flight that would work leaves much earlier. I am not looking at going into Toronto. Are there any close hotels where we could get a day room? I know that would mean clearing security again. Anything of interest at the airport? We are flying business so am not sure if we would have access to the AC lounge. I also don’t know what that is like. We would like to have a nice leisurely dinner before we board at 10: 30 pm. That’s way too late for us to have dinner. Suggestions for places to eat at the airport? We have never flown through Toronto so are open to suggestions from those who have experience.

Another question: do we need to have anything else besides our passports to fly from the US to Canada? We have done land many times but never by air.

Thank you.

Best option is the Air Canada stopover program.   If you are in business and you sign up for the program you get a free hotel.  If in economy it is about $50 CDN.  They are typically mid-market hotels.

https://www.aircanada.com/ca/en/aco/home/book/travels/hotels/stopover.html

Thank you for all the responses. Unfortunately we are flying using miles so no access to the top lounge. Trucker Dave, we changed to the earlier flight for a number of reasons: never flown out of CLT or Toronto, flying in a CRJ200–small plane which may not get clearance to either take off or land, unfamiliar with the layout of Pearson, plus we are in our 70s. The earlier flight reduces a lot of stress. We don’t fly all that often so do not have the experience of others. I will look into a day room at the Sheraton and may consider going into the city dependent on what luggage we may have with us. I also appreciate the good comments on the long flight.

Thank you all again. 

2 hours ago, Pearl64 said:

flying in a CRJ200–small plane which may not get clearance to either take off or land

:classic_huh:

Not sure what you mean by that but if you can't take off from CLT then a 7hr connection won't help you much either...

Edited by fbgd

2 hours ago, Pearl64 said:

Thank you for all the responses. Unfortunately we are flying using miles so no access to the top lounge. Trucker Dave, we changed to the earlier flight for a number of reasons: never flown out of CLT or Toronto, flying in a CRJ200–small plane which may not get clearance to either take off or land, unfamiliar with the layout of Pearson, plus we are in our 70s. The earlier flight reduces a lot of stress. We don’t fly all that often so do not have the experience of others. I will look into a day room at the Sheraton and may consider going into the city dependent on what luggage we may have with us. I also appreciate the good comments on the long flight.

Thank you all again. 

As an extremely frequent flier, there are about three million reasons I actively avoid the CRJ-200...but honestly "not getting clearance to either take off or land" is not one of them.

• Like 1

We had an instance of flying from GSP to Newark and we were four hours late leaving. It was in a small United plane. Newark was giving priority to the bigger planes. The crew at GSP says it happens all the time. I was trying to avoid missing our connection. And, it made no difference whether we took the earlier flight or the later one, the same equipment is used. I don’t much care for this plane either but we really had no choice unless we used a different airline.

Thanks.

On 11/19/2018 at 6:55 AM, Pearl64 said:

Thank you all again. 

Toronto is a busy airport, however it generally most of the time it does not suffer from air traffic control delays the way some of the major US airports do.  

The CRJ is going to most likely come into a pier that has a very long walk to get from the gate into the main terminal.  If you are concern about long walk you may want to reach out to the airline ahead of time.

The CRJ also has limited overhead space.  That is not a problem as there will be a cart just before you board the flight and any baggage will be brought back to be picked up by stairs when you get off the aircraft. 

Generally speaking the airport is fine.

If you are looking at a Sheraton airport hotel to stay at there are several off-site.  This is one connected to terminal 3, I would personally go for this one.  There is a airport train (people mover) that connects Terminal 1 and 3.  Air Canada operates out of terminal 1.   

Edited by em-sk

There is a Sheraton Gateway Hotel attached to Terminal 3.  I'd check out the hotel and contact them to see if they have a day rate.  Also close to the Airport is The Keg steakhouse.   Very good and less than a 5 minute drive.

Check out tripadvisor as well for more information.  Lots of other hotels and restaurants near Pearson that might work for you.

14 hours ago, RickT said:

There is a Sheraton Gateway Hotel attached to Terminal 3.  I'd check out the hotel and contact them to see if they have a day rate.  Also close to the Airport is The Keg steakhouse.   Very good and less than a 5 minute drive.

Check out tripadvisor as well for more information.  Lots of other hotels and restaurants near Pearson that might work for you.

Since the OP is in Business Class, we should also point out that in addition to the regular Maple Leaf Lounge they would also have access to the Suite,  a special business lounge configured as a sit down restaurant with table service and a fairly nice menu.  That is in the gate area.   

Agreed the Sheratan Gateway is a good choice

If you decide to leave the airport, you'll have to go through the full Canadian customs and immigration process and then show up at security for your next flight 2 hours in advance. Pearson used to be my home airport. Checkin and security at Pearson can be bedlam.  I'd stay airside if I were you.

On 11/22/2018 at 12:26 AM, em-sk said:

Since the OP is in Business Class, we should also point out that in addition to the regular Maple Leaf Lounge they would also have access to the Suite,  a special business lounge configured as a sit down restaurant with table service and a fairly nice menu.  That is in the gate area.   

Apart from they won't because when I brought up the Signature Suite upthread I noted it was for revenue passengers only. The OP said they were on miles so they won't have access.

On 11/26/2018 at 3:05 PM, fbgd said:

Apart from they won't because when I brought up the Signature Suite upthread I noted it was for revenue passengers only. The OP said they were on miles so they won't have access.

Yes, if they are on an I class ticket then they will not get in.  They can still use the regular Maple Leaf lounge.  Not as nice, but still not a bad lounge.