Tours from the port

Giantfan13

I asked this same thing on the Italy board but we are cruising on the MSC Sinfonia in about 10 days. We really haven't booked any excursions but we were wondering if, when we dock at Valencia or  Mallorca, are there any companies that may be around the terminal looking to recruit people for tours, like in other places?

Cheers

Len

GiantsFan

Not at Valencia cruise terminal as far as I could tell this past september. The cruise port does have a taxi stand right in front - just a few waiting each time was my impression. We did not see anything like what you suggest just outside the doors or inside. Since old town/downtown Valencia is a good distance from the cruise terminal its likely your cruise line will set up a shuttle to OT/DT stopping by the Torres de Serrano gate to old city. Also FYI there were no such things as pedicabs, tuk-tuks or other small entrepreneurs waiting outside the terminal that we could see. Lastly valencia bus turistico does have a stop walking distance from the exterior of the cruise terminal. You have to look it up on line exactly where it is - you have to walk about 50-75 yards from the front of the cruise terminal to get to the street (basically crossing a large parking lot in front of terminal), the stop will be marked and you'll likely see others waiting there, esp in the morning. Otherwise if not using a cruise line sponsored excursion you'll need to organize something in advance via the internet or take your chances to see if there are any entrepreneurs waiting on the street near the gates of Torres de Serrano.  

As already said, no tour companies touting for business at Valencia port last month and have never seen any at Palma de Mallorca either (have docked there 6 times).  If you like art porcelain I can highly recommend taking a taxi to the Lladro factory at Valencia then getting another cab into the old city centre for site seeing/people watching, tapas and a glass of Agua de Valencia (believe me - you only need one glass lol!).  If you prefer a non-alcoholic local tipple go for Horchata (made from Tiger Nuts) - there are stalls selling this all around the Cathedral area and indoor market.  The indoor market (one of the largest in Spain) is well worth a visit as is the Aquarium/Science Park that is walkable from the port if you have no mobility issues.  In Palma de Mallorca I would use the HOHO bus - if you dock out at the east dock there is a complimentary shuttle bus up to the Cathedral.

TUI Discovery 2 May 2017 204.JPG

Edited by campolady

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Mallorca this spring on a cruise (itinerary change) and we took the shuttle to the cathedral area. We visited the cathedral and spent the afternoon browsing the artisan stalls and what the area had to offer. It turned out to be DWs favorite port as she liked the “vibe” of Mallorca. There were no tour vendors that I could see but many cruisers were taking the HOHO.