Celebrity Air - Flying From Detroit to Barcelona Sep 2019 - Is this good deal?

taylortime05

1 hour ago, Zach1213 said:

No way. I would never spend that kind of money to avoid JFK. I probably wouldn't even spend $50 avoiding JFK. It's not the most efficient airport, but it's far from the worse. I don't connect through JFK too often, but when I do it's really not a big deal.

+1 

Maybe it's because it's my home airport but I think JFK really isn't as bad as people seem to think it is. Each terminal (except Terminal 2) has its own immigration and customs so sometimes (even if I wasn't using Global Entry) I can be at the curb in less than 5mins from the door opening. 

Although it doesn't have as much international traffic as JFK I find BOS to be more of a ballache...

1 hour ago, fbgd said:

+1 

Maybe it's because it's my home airport but I think JFK really isn't as bad as people seem to think it is. Each terminal (except Terminal 2) has its own immigration and customs so sometimes (even if I wasn't using Global Entry) I can be at the curb in less than 5mins from the door opening. 

Although it doesn't have as much international traffic as JFK I find BOS to be more of a ballache...

BOS is actually an airport I have never transited or cleared immigration in, only used it for O&D. Perhaps I'll make sure to avoid it 🙂

My worst immigration experiences come from Dulles and, surprisingly enough, Honolulu. I do all I can to avoid them both, when possible. Charlotte is consistently my favorite.

BOS works ok for inter terminal transfers but changing terminals is just stupid...

I don't mind IAD! It's probably just because I got very used to it with pretty regular trips there from 2003-2014. BA's service was pretty convenient in that you the mobile lounges docked into the side of the aircraft (this later switched to a little walk through the terminal to the same lounges) and there was one for Club World/First and another for the cheap cabins. The regulars knew how to play the game to be first in the immigration line which was always good for a chuckle if one of them was late to the party. 😄 I used United to there internationally with less regularity and it required long walks to the mobile lounges if terminating at IAD, but the midfield immigration and customs was pretty nifty!

21 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

Thank you for all the great feedback.  Just curious,  would it be worth 300 to you to avoid customs at JFK?  This what is holding me back from making the reservation.  I keep hoping the Paris flight will drop but I might wait to long.  Airline prices seem to fluctuate so much.

No I wouldn't pay extra to avoid JFK.  But I also cannot fly to my home airport without stopping somewhere else in the US first, so I don't have the option of clearing I/C at CHS (yet.)

1 hour ago, waterbug123 said:

No I wouldn't pay extra to avoid JFK.  But I also cannot fly to my home airport without stopping somewhere else in the US first, so I don't have the option of clearing I/C at CHS (yet.)

I assume the "yet" is because you are aware British Airways are commencing service to Charleston.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2018/10/18/british-airways-charleston-s-c-gets-first-ever-route-europe/1685412002/

2 hours ago, fbgd said:

I assume the "yet" is because you are aware British Airways are commencing service to Charleston.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/travel/flights/todayinthesky/2018/10/18/british-airways-charleston-s-c-gets-first-ever-route-europe/1685412002/

ABSOLUTLEY.    Hopefully it will be profitable for them and other airlines will add international destinations form here as well in the future.  That BA flight is only going to be a couple days a week so hopefully it works long term.  The airport can certainly handle any airplane (except maybe the A380) runway wise so here is hoping we get more. 

21 hours ago, fbgd said:

Yes, that's exactly why I said "yet."  Although even when the BA flight begins service it's doubtful to be of much use to me personally....I'm a Sky Team girl and BA is part of One World, and the MQMs earned on a TATL flight are too valuable to give up just to save a connection at ATL or JFK.   Now if BA is successful with this and AF or KLM decides to at a TATL flight to CHS that's a game changer for me!  🙂

1 hour ago, waterbug123 said:

Yes, that's exactly why I said "yet."  Although even when the BA flight begins service it's doubtful to be of much use to me personally....I'm a Sky Team girl and BA is part of One World, and the MQMs earned on a TATL flight are too valuable to give up just to save a connection at ATL or JFK.   Now if BA is successful with this and AF or KLM decides to at a TATL flight to CHS that's a game changer for me!  🙂

a nice AF flight to Paris, a KLM to AMS and a Lufthansa to FRA would be nice.....even more dreaming a CX to HKG maybe one to Tokyo.......we can only dream I guess. 😬

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!

I was so tired last night and kept thinking about this great deal on the flight.  I finally called and purchased the tickets thru Choice Air and they told me I had 24 hours to make any changes without a penalty.  I called back today and they are closed for the holiday.

I have a couple questions related to the layovers.  I got conflicting information from celebrity air & delta.  I hope someone has went these routes and can tell me exactly what to expect.

We leave DTW 8:36 pm on 9/25 and arrive AMS at 10:25 am next day.  We have 2 hour layover.  We leave at 12:25 from AMS arriving in Barcelona at 2:35 pm.  The flight from AMS to Barcelona is Operated by Transavia Airlines.     

1) Will we need to pick up our luggage in Amsterdam and then check it in at Transavia and then go thru 

customs?    The person I spoke to at Delta told me that's how it works because it's not Delta operating

all the flights.  But Choice Air told me that's not true, they said my luggage will go thru to Barcelona                 and I will go thru customs at Barcelona.   Do you know which is true?  If I need to worry about 

transferring my luggage then 2 hours doesn't seem sufficient. 

2)  Can you assign your seat for Transavia flights booked thru Celebrity.  I logged into my Delta account

and could assign all the flights except that one.

Coming home we leave Barcelona Oct 12 at 12:10 pm and arrive in JFK at 3:05 PM. We leave JFK at 4:55 and land in DTW at 7:16 PM.  

1) Will we go thru customs at JFK or DTW?

I do have trip insurance but I would like to begin & end our trip with as little inconvenience as possible.  I did have the option to go with 4 hour layover in Amsterdam but the Choice Air person I spoke to said 2 hour was sufficient and she would recommend it.  If I wanted longer delay in JFK it would have cost at least 100 more pp.   

I think I might be able to call in the morning and make changes if necessary without penalty because they were closed today.  I know it would be based on current pricing and that all could change by tomorrow.

I just want to finalize this and not be concerned I made a mistake so I can forget about this trip for awhile.  I have a cruise coming up in 3 weeks I still need to think about couple excursions.

Thanks so much.  

16 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

We leave DTW 8:36 pm on 9/25 and arrive AMS at 10:25 am next day.  We have 2 hour layover.  We leave at 12:25 from AMS arriving in Barcelona at 2:35 pm.  The flight from AMS to Barcelona is Operated by Transavia Airlines.     

1) Will we need to pick up our luggage in Amsterdam and then check it in at Transavia and then go thru customs? The person I spoke to at Delta told me that's how it works because it's not Delta operating all the flights. But Choice Air told me that's not true, they said my luggage will go thru to Barcelona and I will go thru customs at Barcelona. Do you know which is true? If I need to worry about transferring my luggage then 2 hours doesn't seem sufficient.

I can see that Delta has an interline baggage agreement with Transavia, so I think that your bags ought to be through-checked from DTW to BCN. Although Transavia is in many ways a low-fare airline operation, the extent to which it carries other airlines' codes, plus the existence of interline baggage agreements with both Delta and KLM, strongly suggests to me that your bags can be through-checked. Normally, if your travel is on a single ticket, you are contractually entitled to through-checking of bags subject to the existence of a baggage interline agreement between the two airlines and any customs requirements.

If that is right - and it would be good to have that confirmed by anyone who may have specific experience of connecting to a Transavia-operated flight on a single ticket - then you will not need to collect your bags or to clear customs at AMS. You will, however, need to clear immigration at AMS because that is where you cross the Schengenland immigration border.

16 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

Coming home we leave Barcelona Oct 12 at 12:10 pm and arrive in JFK at 3:05 PM. We leave JFK at 4:55 and land in DTW at 7:16 PM.  

At JFK. Here you will definitely need to clear immigration, collect your bags, clear customs and then give your bags back to the airline.

If you were worried about 2 hours at AMS, you might be more worried about doing all of this in 1:50 at JFK. But we have been through this one already.

13 minutes ago, Globaliser said:

At JFK. Here you will definitely need to clear immigration, collect your bags, clear customs and then give your bags back to the airline.

If you were worried about 2 hours at AMS, you might be more worried about doing all of this in 1:50 at JFK. But we have been through this one already.

Why do I need to pick up my luggage at JFK since both flights going home are thru Delta.  The lady at Choice Air said they will transfer my luggage.  

31 minutes ago, taylortime05 said:

Why do I need to pick up my luggage at JFK since both flights going home are thru Delta.  The lady at Choice Air said they will transfer my luggage.  

Because when you arrive in the US from overseas and connecting to a US domestic flight, at your first US port you must always clear immigration, collect your bags, clear customs and then give your bags back to the airline for the next flight.

Otherwise, you and your bags would be uncleared, but you and they would be mixing with passengers and bags that do not require any clearance at all because their journey is wholly domestic and started within the US.

Looks like Transavia  does have some agreement with Delta: https://news.delta.com/delta-agreement-transavia-opens-new-destinations

Bags should go through (confirm again), immigration in Amsterdam though. 

Flight back, as the other poster stated you go through immigration in JFK of course. Your flight to DTW will be a normal domestic flight. You will need to pick up all your bags and go through customs, re-check and re-clear security at JFK. 

2 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

The USA is stricter about the 'customs' part of immigration and customs than the EU is, and you need to present yourself at the border point of entry with your luggage in case they want to have a look inside your bags at that point. Take food for example- if someone is coming from Spain and they have an orange in their bag that has medfly larvae in it, the medfly in that orange can mature, get loose, and cause millions of dollars in crop loss to Florida orange groves. (The USDA beagles you see at entry points are selected for their keen ability to find contraband food in addition to being see as cute and non-threatening to those in their inspection area) 

Then you have to recheck bags and go through TSA screening after that because you have access to your bag at the point of entry, and there are many things that can be put into checked bags that are not allowed in a plane cabin. Example- I've gotten a very nice Wusthof knife set for Christmas and taken it in a checked bag back home. No way do you want people to have access to something that can so easily be a weapon inside the tiny metal tube. 

21 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

1) Will we need to pick up our luggage in Amsterdam and then check it in at Transavia and then go thru 

customs?    The person I spoke to at Delta told me that's how it works because it's not Delta operating

all the flights.  But Choice Air told me that's not true, they said my luggage will go thru to Barcelona                 and I will go thru customs at Barcelona.   Do you know which is true?  If I need to worry about 

transferring my luggage then 2 hours doesn't seem sufficient. 

2)  Can you assign your seat for Transavia flights booked thru Celebrity.  I logged into my Delta account

and could assign all the flights except that one.

General procedures for immigration and customs:

1.  Arriving in the US from overseas:  You clear immigration and customs at the first point of entry into the US.  For you, that means JFK.  Yes, your bags will be checked through to DTW, but as explained, you must first collect them to go through customs, and then there will be a designated bag drop before clearing security.  You don't need to check in at the bag drop; you just hand your bags over to the attendant putting them on the carousel.  Easy peasy.

2.  Arriving in the Europe and traveling entirely within the Schengen zone countries, which you are:  You clear immigration (passport check) at the first point of entry, and you clear customs at your final destination.  BUT, customs is largely a non-event in Europe.  Typically you don't have to stand in line and have a face-to-face with anyone.  You just go through the door with the green light if you have nothing to declare.  If you have something to declare, you go through the red door and go through a more formal procedure.  It's a self-policing system.  So for you, passport check at AMS, and "customs" at BCN.

As for seat selection, I can't speak to Transavia specifically but many European carriers don't offer advance seat selection on intra-European flights if traveling in coach.

6 hours ago, waterbug123 said:

General procedures for immigration and customs:

1.  Arriving in the US from overseas:  You clear immigration and customs at the first point of entry into the US.  For you, that means JFK.  Yes, your bags will be checked through to DTW, but as explained, you must first collect them to go through customs, and then there will be a designated bag drop before clearing security.  You don't need to check in at the bag drop; you just hand your bags over to the attendant putting them on the carousel.  Easy peasy.

2.  Arriving in the Europe and traveling entirely within the Schengen zone countries, which you are:  You clear immigration (passport check) at the first point of entry, and you clear customs at your final destination.  BUT, customs is largely a non-event in Europe.  Typically you don't have to stand in line and have a face-to-face with anyone.  You just go through the door with the green light if you have nothing to declare.  If you have something to declare, you go through the red door and go through a more formal procedure.  It's a self-policing system.  So for you, passport check at AMS, and "customs" at BCN.

As for seat selection, I can't speak to Transavia specifically but many European carriers don't offer advance seat selection on intra-European flights if traveling in coach.

Thank you so much for being so patient with me and providing so much information.  I have one last question.  Celebrity is willing to let me make a change without a penalty and just pay in difference in going rates. 

I want to keep the fare at the same price so I'm stuck with the return flight home going thru JFK with 1 hr 50 min.  I hope it ends up being sufficient time so we don't miss the connection.

But I could change the flight to Barcelona to have a 4 hour layover in Amsterdam instead of 2 hours. The carrier would be KLM (4 hours) vs Transavia (2 hours).  Which would you prefer and why?   Again, thank you for your patience.  I'm going to make this my final decision on this airfare and move on. 

16 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

Thank you so much for being so patient with me and providing so much information.  I have one last question.  Celebrity is willing to let me make a change without a penalty and just pay in difference in going rates. 

I want to keep the fare at the same price so I'm stuck with the return flight home going thru JFK with 1 hr 50 min.  I hope it ends up being sufficient time so we don't miss the connection.

But I could change the flight to Barcelona to have a 4 hour layover in Amsterdam instead of 2 hours. The carrier would be KLM (4 hours) vs Transavia (2 hours).  Which would you prefer and why?   Again, thank you for your patience.  I'm going to make this my final decision on this airfare and move on. 

As I said in an earlier reply, personally I would not hesitate to do a 2 hour connect at AMS.  It's a big airport and you'll likely walk a bit, but all signage is in English, and staff all speak English if you have any questions.  (Then again, I have access to the KLM Crown Lounge so wouldn't mind a 4 hour connect, in which I'd enjoy the lounge during the extra time and avail myself of the shower facilities there to freshen up after the transatlantic flight.🙂

On 11/24/2018 at 7:35 AM, waterbug123 said:

As I said in an earlier reply, personally I would not hesitate to do a 2 hour connect at AMS.  It's a big airport and you'll likely walk a bit, but all signage is in English, and staff all speak English if you have any questions.  (Then again, I have access to the KLM Crown Lounge so wouldn't mind a 4 hour connect, in which I'd enjoy the lounge during the extra time and avail myself of the shower facilities there to freshen up after the transatlantic flight.🙂

I'm happy that I was able to change to have the 4 hour layover in Amsterdam for minimal charge.  I wasn't able to change my layover on way home at JFK and that does concern me a little but I'd rather miss the connection on the way home then the way to my trip.

I have 2 more small questions:

1)  For my connection flight I'm on KLM now so I can pick my seats now if I pay either 11 pp for std or 18 or economy comfort.  It's a short 2 hour flight and I don't care too much where the seats are but I'd prefer to sit with my hubby.  I can select the std seats for free at check-in time.  Is it worth the extra 22 or 36 to reserve the seat now?  If I reserved I'd probably just pay 36 to get little extra leg room.

2) Is there a credit card that gives KLM Crown Lounge access?  I was considering getting the AMEX Platinum for all of it's benefits but I don't think it provides access to KLM Crown Lounge.

Thanks

Sue

3 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

I'm happy that I was able to change to have the 4 hour layover in Amsterdam for minimal charge.  I wasn't able to change my layover on way home at JFK and that does concern me a little but I'd rather miss the connection on the way home then the way to my trip.

I have 2 more small questions:

1)  For my connection flight I'm on KLM now so I can pick my seats now if I pay either 11 pp for std or 18 or economy comfort.  It's a short 2 hour flight and I don't care too much where the seats are but I'd prefer to sit with my hubby.  I can select the std seats for free at check-in time.  Is it worth the extra 22 or 36 to reserve the seat now?  If I reserved I'd probably just pay 36 to get little extra leg room.

2) Is there a credit card that gives KLM Crown Lounge access?  I was considering getting the AMEX Platinum for all of it's benefits but I don't think it provides access to KLM Crown Lounge.

Thanks

Sue

Can’t help with the KLM lounge question, but there are a few priority pass Lounges  (Sapphire Reserve).  Both lounges we were in were nothing to write home about and when the airport had a long ground stop due to fog, one we attempted was impossible to find a place to sit.  To tell you the truth there is one central restaurant that I have rushed by more than a few times on short connections, that I would love to try. 

Priority Pass isn’t great for a DTW based flyer, but we like the Sapphire trip insurance benefits and some of the Asian airport lounges are decent. 

18 hours ago, taylortime05 said:

So you are just talking about the intra-European flight where you need to pay to choose your seat?  That will be short, compared to the transatlantic leg.  Only you can decide if it's important enough to be next to each other that you want to pay.  If you're on the same ticket there's a good chance you'll be assigned seats together but no guarantee of course. 

14 hours ago, buggins0402 said:

Can’t help with the KLM lounge question, but there are a few priority pass Lounges  (Sapphire Reserve). 

Priority Pass access is available to those holding the Amex Platinum card, which the OP stated they might get.   OP- you'll need to contact Amex to "activate" (for lack of a better word) your Priority Pass status and then they'll send you a PP card.  I've never been to either of the PP lounges at AMS so can't speak to what they're like.  We always just go to the Crown Lounge since we have access either because flying biz and/or due to our Delta status. 

As for whether to get the Amex platinum or not, I certainly wouldn't get it just for PP access, but it does offer a lot of other perks that make it worth it for us.    Some of these include Delta Sky Club access, Global Entry fee covered, $200 misc. airline credit to airline of our choice, and Amex travel points that can be used in a variety of ways.  For us, given our frequent level of travel, it's a better option than buying an actual Sky Club membership, given the other benefits.

Waterbug, I’m not 100% sure, but doesn’t  the platinum card only allow one person into the Skyclub and a guest must pay a reduced rate?  If Amex would open a Centurion club ( guest free)  in DTW it would make the decision to add a Amex platinum to my CC stable a no brainer....or at least for me. 

Edited by buggins0402

Amex Platinum Card (which does NOT mean Delta Platinum Amex Credit card) is card holder only for SkyClub, with a $29 charge per guest.  If you get a second card on the account (for an additional fee), then the secondary card holder gets access as well on their own card.

19 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

Amex Platinum Card (which does NOT mean Delta Platinum Amex Credit card) is card holder only for SkyClub, with a $29 charge per guest.  If you get a second card on the account (for an additional fee), then the secondary card holder gets access as well on their own card.

I just went to the Amex site and if I am reading correctly, you have to add signers to the Platinum card for free Priority Pass guests (they get their own PP card) otherwise the guest is charged reduced fee. Anyone know if my reading comprehension was correct? I know the Reserve changed this past year from unlimited guests to two guests.

21 hours ago, buggins0402 said:

I just went to the Amex site and if I am reading correctly, you have to add signers to the Platinum card for free Priority Pass guests (they get their own PP card) otherwise the guest is charged reduced fee. Anyone know if my reading comprehension was correct? I know the Reserve changed this past year from unlimited guests to two guests.

I'm not sure, sorry.  I've had a PP card for several years but seldom go to a PP club; there isn't one at my home airport, nor at ATL where I most frequently connect.  When I travel, I'm usually with my BF who also has Amex Plat/PP cards so we both have access and don't need guest passes.

Waterbug123,

There is a Priority Pass lounge at Hartsfield Jackson. It's in Terminal F on the mezzanine level. It is shared with Qatar (I think) and it is airy with several food service areas, full bar, and relatively comfortable seating.