MAKE GALLERY PICTURES OPTIONAL

@CC Help Jenn     Is it in the pipeline that the gallery pictures can be turned off /made optional I waste several minutes every day blocking them.

Todays effort  there are really poor pictures a year old, of no interest to anyone but themselves, by someone who has NEVER posted in the forums

45 minutes ago, Aulanis said:

@CC Help Jenn     Is it in the pipeline that the gallery pictures can be turned off /made optional I waste several minutes every day blocking them.

Todays effort  there are really poor pictures a year old, of no interest to anyone but themselves, by someone who has NEVER posted in the forums

The Eagle ones were fantastic,  I was thinking we have been getting much better ones lately

33 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I use my ad blocker to block the entire widget.

Could you say how you do that as I seem to have to block each  element - the picture- the poster- the date-   I did look to see if ignoring the member would do it but it doesnt extend to the gallery.

Edited by Aulanis

11 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

I use my ad blocker to block the entire widget.

You have to be very careful about blocking/not blocking the entire sidebar because that sidebar element also includes announcements and while some of those announcements are more like advertisements, this is the place where they will probably announce any future changes or updates (like when the new app is ready for use).

38 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

You have to be very careful about blocking/not blocking the entire sidebar because that sidebar element also includes announcements and while some of those announcements are more like advertisements, this is the place where they will probably announce any future changes or updates (like when the new app is ready for use).

Well, you can always check the "Announcements" section on the main forum page for that info.

I  for one  do not care  for the photos on the side of the forums

do not want to see "the girls" falling out of the bikini tops  or people standing  taking selfies etc...

I have a link to my photo page if people want to view them they can go there   no need to MAKE people view them

JMO

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, LauraS said:

OK, I'm not getting this at all.   Why do they need to be blocked?

• They eat up data to download on mobile devices; not everyone has unlimited data to spend on photos they are not interested in viewing. They are right up there with data-eating ads and even if I don't scroll down to see them on my phone, they are eating up data because they have been downloaded along with the page I want to view. Every bit of data costs me something and I'm not willing to spend my money on something I don't want.
  • Some people have no discretion in what they post. They post multiple pictures of the same scene. They post out of focus pictures. They post pictures that have nothing to do with cruising because all you can see in the selfie are faces of people you don't know in places you can't recognize because all you can see are the distorted faces.
  • I'm not interested in other people's photographs; they are an annoyance, not a joy.
  • If I want to see them, I know where to find them on Cruise Critic.
  • This is Cruise Critic, not Pinterest. I'm not here to look at pictures unless they are an answer to a specific question--and in that case, they should be part of a thread.

• Like 7

8 minutes ago, Peregrina651 said:

• They eat up data to download on mobile devices; not everyone has unlimited data to spend on photos they are not interested in viewing. They are right up there with data-eating ads and even if I don't scroll down to see them on my phone, they are eating up data because they have been downloaded along with the page I want to view. Every bit of data costs me something and I'm not willing to spend my money on something I don't want.
  • Some people have no discretion in what they post. They post multiple pictures of the same scene. They post out of focus pictures. They post pictures that have nothing to do with cruising because all you can see in the selfie are faces of people you don't know in places you can't recognize because all you can see are the distorted faces.
  • I'm not interested in other people's photographs; they are an annoyance, not a joy.
  • If I want to see them, I know where to find them on Cruise Critic.
  • This is Cruise Critic, not Pinterest. I'm not here to look at pictures unless they are an answer to a specific question--and in that case, they should be part of a thread.

Very nicely put.

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, LauraS said:

OK, I'm not getting this at all.   Why do they need to be blocked?

I think it would be nice to have this as an option under  Account Settings, just like we have the ability to turn off signatures.

• Like 2

@LauraS

We are only asking for the option to view or not to view. 

@Peregrina651 s   post above sums up a lot of it.

Me, I just dont come on here to look at pictures, It is a forum

a place or opportunity for discussing a subject - ie words.

I know the saying a picture speaks a thousand words  but that is only any good

if it is relevant to anything.  If I want to look at pictures I can find pictures of anything

on Pinterest or google images. I even have tens of thousands of my own.

I dont think it is asking too much we have the ability to switch off signatures, ignore members,

switch off emails and notifications  maybe avatars. Why not holiday snaps!

The space they take up could be used to allow 4 pictures in signatures  which I think a lot

of members would like and those who dont like can switch them off.

• Like 1

@LauraS It's simple. I think the desire is to make the "newest photos" that show up on the side (or bottom) of the forum list pages optional. At least that's the point in my case. The photos are "random" in the sense that  they are the newest photos added to any album, and usually have no context to the forum being displayed on. Some of us just don't wish to see them. All we want is the option to turn off that feature if we choose to. That way, those who don't mind seeing the pictures are happy, and those that don't wish to see them are happy.

Not sure if the board software supports it, but it would be nice.

I don't want to block all pictures, since if they are posted in a post (with relevance) they add to the post. 

1 hour ago, 1025cruise said:

@LauraS

I don't want to block all pictures, since if they are posted in a post (with relevance) they add to the post. 

I use ADP   & only block the ones on the side  the photos in the posts are still there

2 hours ago, 1025cruise said:

@LauraS It's simple. I think the desire is to make the "newest photos" that show up on the side (or bottom) of the forum list pages optional. At least that's the point in my case. The photos are "random" in the sense that  they are the newest photos added to any album, and usually have no context to the forum being displayed on. Some of us just don't wish to see them. All we want is the option to turn off that feature if we choose to. That way, those who don't mind seeing the pictures are happy, and those that don't wish to see them are happy.

Not sure if the board software supports it, but it would be nice.

I learned what SLS means. 😉