Balcony room is directly behind the bridge, concerned about privacy

jacpansea

I was hoping someone would be able to give me advice if they think this is going to be OK for privacy and also views. I am on an upcoming Princess (Crown) at I'm in room R202. It is the cabin all the way to the front, directly behind the crew bridge. Any experience would be appreciated. 

NO balcony is totally "private"....your neighbors can (and probably do) peek through or around the divider, simply to see if you have the same furnishings, or size balcony that they do.....just don't put everything on display, and you'll be fine!

We’ve traveled balconies before so I’m aware there isn’t complete privacy, although I’ve never peaked into anyone’s space. This one seems to have passengers that can stand at the end of the bridge. I’m sure it will be fine, I’m more or less asking if anyone had traveled in a room directly behind the bridge and if it was even an issue. 

Not exactly your cabin, but we have cruised on various Princess ships in cabin A201, also once in A202 and once in C202.  We actually get a kick out of waving to the bridge crew when they are visible.  The fact of the matter is that they are rarely on the extremes of the bridge--mostly, when entering or leaving a port.

On our last cruise (Emerald Princess) I took the Ultimate Ship's Tour which is a three-hour behind-the-scenes tour.  One of the highlights was actually visiting the bridge.  As we entered we were herded to the starboard wing of the bridge.  Cool.  I can look down and see our balcony (A201).  Not only was I able to do so, my wife was on the balcony and just happened to look up and see me.  So, we were able to wave to each other.

Now, I can assure you that people on the bridge can not see into your cabin.  Balcony dividers block the sight line to the sliding door.

• Thanks 1

We've been in a cabin just several cabins away from the bridge and it seems that those are more likely to be 'seen' from the bridge that one almost directly below.    Someone would have to standing pretty close to the window and looking almost straight down to see onto yours.    Yes, someone curious with nothing better to do might glance down, but unless they see something very interesting, they'll just move along elsewhere.    

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jlp20 said:

Because of the outcrop of the deck directly fore of your cabin, maybe 20 degree reduction of your panoramic view. 

Haven't cruised in those cabins, but just from panoramic views of ships in general, I was going to suggest perhaps even more blockage to the front. But it would be neat to SEE the bridge outcropping into your view as a reminder you are indeed cruising!

2 minutes ago, crystalspin said:

Haven't cruised in those cabins, but just from panoramic views of ships in general, I was going to suggest perhaps even more blockage to the front. But it would be neat to SEE the bridge outcropping into your view as a reminder you are indeed cruising!

Once had cabin three decks below and about 15 cabins back from bridge wing. We often saw officers standing in the wings watching horizon. Never saw anyone even glancing at the balconys.  

7 hours ago, MicCanberra said:

Be aware that there are cameras also watching balconies to monitor anything going over the edge, so there are more than just the officers on the bridge watching, also security.

To clarify this comment - cameras are not directed at balconies, but rather following the railings and past the balconies. They can't see into the balconies, just along their outside edges and on toward the other end of the ship. This is to monitor anyone or anything dropping from the balcony railings. 

Edited by sloopsailor

On 11/18/2018 at 9:15 AM, jacpansea said:

We’ve traveled balconies before so I’m aware there isn’t complete privacy, although I’ve never peaked into anyone’s space. This one seems to have passengers that can stand at the end of the bridge. I’m sure it will be fine, I’m more or less asking if anyone had traveled in a room directly behind the bridge and if it was even an issue. 

We stayed twice on the Carnival Pride one deck down and just a few cabins back from the bridge.  On this ship there was not passenger access to the bridge area, but I would occasionally seen bridge crew/officers in the bridge from my balcony.  They are busy doing their jobs, but if we had made eye contact I would have smiled and waved.  I'm more concerned with watching the water and seeing the flying fish versus looking at the bridge. I also tried to give them privacy to do their job.  

Lights from our cabin could have been an issue, so we were sure to have the curtains closed in the evening (which we would do regardless) and step between the curtain and door if using the balcony at night (vs. just opening the curtain to access the door).

4 hours ago, sloopsailor said:

To clarify this comment - cameras are not directed at balconies, but rather following the railings and past the balconies. They can't see into the balconies, just along their outside edges and on toward the other end of the ship. This is to monitor anyone or anything dropping from the balcony railings. 

True but there is always a little bit of balcony to be viewed.

4 hours ago, gooch47 said:

Is this a cabin where you have to keep your curtains closed at night to prevent glare?  That would bother me more than privacy issues since I have mild claustrophobia.

That is normally the forward facing cabins that need the curtains closed and they do not usually have balconies. 

On 11/19/2018 at 7:51 AM, gooch47 said:

Is this a cabin where you have to keep your curtains closed at night to prevent glare?  That would bother me more than privacy issues since I have mild claustrophobia.

Negative, keeping curtains closed at night only applies to fwd facing cabins to prevent interfering with the navigation lights. 

From the Bridge, you can see many of the balconies, but really not into the actual cabins. In addition to the balcony dividers you also have glare from the windows.

Most conning is done from the centre consoles and not the bridge wings. Looking out the windows is critical, but the fwd windows, not aft into the cabins.

When on the bridge wing for docking, things happen too quickly to be peeking into cabins.

• Thanks 1

The cameras under the bridge wings are typically capable of aiming and zooming, and are controlled from areas like the bridge, ECR, Security, and Surveillance.  The camera feed is usually recorded 24/7, and is monitored by Surveillance on a rotating camera basis to the Surveillance office monitors with all the other cameras onboard (a 3-5 second flick).  Camera control stations can call up the feed from an individual camera and keep it on their monitor.  While most of the time no one is really watching the ship side cameras, if the bridge or engine room gang get bored, they have been known to aim and zoom on "interesting" things on the balconies and on the dock/gangway.  The cameras can see more or less of a particular balcony depending on how far aft they are, and they cannot see into the cabins.

• Thanks 1

We recently had the Riviera Deck cabin closest to the bridge, while on the Regal.  There was actually one large cabin closer that belonged to either the Captain or Staff Captain (we never saw anyone on the balcony so was not sure which officer had that large cabin).  There was seldom anyone on the Bridge Wing except when we were moving in or out of ports.  One thing of which to be aware is that the outdoor light on that balcony was deactivated....as it would cause problems for those on the bridge who do not want any light to destroy their night vision.  As to privacy, it was not a big deal although one certainly did not want to lounge sans clothes on that balcony.

There is a very good reason to love those cabins far forward.  There is no foot traffic outside your cabin as no other passengers have any reason to walk that far down the corridor into a closed door (to the bridge area).

Hank

• Thanks 1