Pre Cruise Question in Barcelona For Reflection Cruise Sep 30 2019

taylortime05

I am going to book my airfare soon because the prices seem reasonable.  I've never been to Europe before.  We are still working so cannot take too many vacation days at one time.  I also have not had time to do a lot of research on what to do in Barcelona and how many days are needed.

My question is pretty trivial - should we plan for 2 or 3 full days pre-cruise?   I'm trying to decide if we should leave Wed before cruise arriving Thursday afternoon giving us 3 full days (Fri-Sun) to tour Barcelona.   Or we could leave Thurs and have 2 full days to tour Barcelona (Sat-Sun).   I was not sure if there was anything major that we should see would be closed on the weekend.  Also, we may never be back to Barcelona.  Do we need 3 full days to really get to experience it?

Appreciate your feedback. 

Thanks

You will need a minimum of 3 days but even then you are unlikely to do everything. As you will have a long flight, I would suggest that you have one night pre cruise, (possible jet lag issues) and at least 3 nights post cruise.

Barcelona is a great city with many thing to see.

We went to Barcelona for the 1st time in 2007 & have been back 7 times.  We still find places we haven’t seen.  It is an amazing city.  Spend as long there as you can and be sure to see the Sagrada Familia, both the exterior and the interior.  I would recommend buying you tickets on line before you go to avoid the lines.

I recommend the HOHO bus as a great way to see much of the city when you have limited time.

Barcelona is a beautiful, vibrant city to explore. You could make 2 days work, or you could easily fill 3 days. We’ve spend a Port day there and 2 nights post cruise and still haven’t finished covering the city. Either way, you’ll have fun. The HoHo bus is a great way to view the city and visit the many insterestinf areas. Take in a Flamenco dinner show one night; the one we went to on Las Ramblas was rated #1 on TripAdvisor, and we’d agree. I’m sorry I can’t remember the name. Happy planning! 

We are also on the Sep 30 2019 sailing out of Barcelona.  This will be our 3rd cruise out of Barcelona.  We spent 3 nights first time and 2 nights the second and still haven't seen everything.  Also keep in mind first day is somewhat compromised due to jet lag.

Barcelona is a wonderful city so if you don't think you will be back, make the most of it and stay as long as you can.  

We're sailing in and out of Barcelona in May 2019 and we're doing 2 days before the cruise.  We've been there before, so 2 days work for us.  If it's your first time, I would suggest 3 days if you can swing it.  Make sure your hotel is in a central area near transportation to make the most of your time there.

OMG! Get as many days in Barcelona as you can. I could spend a week or two. It is the most awesome and lively city I have ever been to. Every minute there was worthwhile. The food is amazing, the sights incredible. Tour everything. Do the Ho-Ho bus the first day and go from there. Stay near Las Ramblas so you are in the heart of everything. See La Boqueria. Do it all. When you go to Europe, go for as long as you possibly can. 

Jim

We have been to Barcelona several times and will return in October 2019 following a B2B2B series of cruises.  I agree with so many of the posters -- spend as much time as you can in Barcelona.  In addition to a number of incredibly interesting attractions located within Barcelona itself there are a number of potential day trips out of the city (such as Montserrat).   

We have been to Barcelona a number of times. We usually try and stay around Placa de Catalunya which is the big square at the end of La Rambla. From there you have a number of the Gaudi buildings that you can do on foot and it is also where the hoho buses leave from (at the right hand side of the square as you arrive from Rambla. 

I would suggest having at least a full day in Barcelona between arriving and going to the ship if nothing else to make sure you are there for the cruise, just in case there are any flight issues. After that 2 or 3 days are needed. Barcelona is fairly flat other than at the Olympic park area and Park Guell area so you can do a lot on foot but the Hoho is good to get a flavour of the city. We have walked out to Park Guell and Sagrada Familia from that area. Having been in before we usually don't bother with the queues are Sagrada now but we like to revisit to see the changes.

You can either add a few days pre or post cruise to do the exploring