1st Oceania Cruiser with a question about dress code

Marie50

Can anyone tell me what most people will be seen wearing for dinner in the evening.  Will men always have a suit or sports jacket on with or woithout a tie  and can women wear dress slacks with a more dressy top instead of a dress?  Thank you.

There are PLENTY of threads on this topic!  But I'll save you the trouble of doing a search.

Casual is casual.  Some men -- not many -- wear a suit.  You are more likely to see a man with a sports jacket and no tie, but you'll see just as many with just a nice shirt.  It's a little dressier in the specialty restaurants, especially La Reserve, but far from formal.  Your husband won't have a problem if he dresses casually.

I see that while I was typing this, two people jumped in ahead of me.

Bitburgboy, what do you mean by "formal" nights?  I can't think of any!

Mura

12 minutes ago, Andee said:

We're going on our 6th Oceania cruise next month.

DH has never taken a sports jacket and has never missed it.

I wear pants or a skirt with somewhat dressy tops.

Ditto.

One of the main reasons I love Oceania is that I never have to wear a jacket or a tie - it’s my vacation and not work. It also makes packing a lot easier.

That said, people do dress casually but  “nicely” - as one would to a nice restaurant at home.

Enjoy your first Oceania cruise.

Edited by Paulchili

1 hour ago, Marie50 said:

Can anyone tell me what most people will be seen wearing for dinner in the evening.  Will men always have a suit or sports jacket on with or woithout a tie  and can women wear dress slacks with a more dressy top instead of a dress?  Thank you.

men for dinner

collared shirt with nice slacks (long) no open toed sandals

jacket, suit & tux  if  you really want  to but never required

Terrace  you can wear more casual  attire like long shorts, jeans & t-shirts

Women for  dinner

dress slacks, capris, skirt  with a nice top  or a dress  ..dress sandals  are allowed  not beach  sandals

look smart  & there are no issues

I took a blazer on our very first O cruise- wore it once. With one exception, never again. That exception was two segments of the 2018 world cruise (a transpacific). Yep- wore it once. Now, definitely -never ever again.

Want to "dress up?" Slacks and a collared shirt is all that guys need for dinner in the Specialties (or anywhere else).

I take a sports jacket which I typically wear in the Specialties and always wear to La Reserve. No ties.

There are times when the Specialties can be freezing and I’m thankful to have that jacket!

Edited by pinotlover

Pinotlover, is right on. My husband brings a sport jacket for the same reason and I bring two pashminas. I wore them both more than once. Our first staterooms on O were concierge, later PHs. No tie racks in any closet I ever saw on O. We jazz  it up a bit at La Reserve and Specialties also. We live in a resort and are not only familiar with resort casual, we like the style. Ties are fairly uncommon here at even at the highest end restaurants. South Beach weather has something to do with that. As I type this, the temp. is 79.

Mary

Edited by warburg
added word

18 hours ago, pinotlover said:

I take a sports jacket which I typically wear in the Specialties and always wear to La Reserve. No ties.

There are times when the Specialties can be freezing and I’m thankful to have that jacket!

This is what DH usually does on vacations (unless it's combined with a business meeting or side-trip).

But on O's Riviera a couple of years ago, he didn't bring a tie, even though it was a holiday cruise, Christmas and New Years.

Well, it turned out that NYE was a bit more "festive dressy" that he/we expected.  Not "fancy", but more people than we expected were just a bit dolled up.

O had given everyone a small gift, which was nicely wrapped, including lovely red long ribbon tied around the little package the traditional way.  We had opened it carefully, planning to keep the ribbon as a little souvenir.  (Yeah, we need more "stuff" in the house :classic_ohmy: )

So DH made a "bow tie" out of the ribbon.  It was sort of a combo "bow tie/bolo tie".

He got a lot of compliments and smiles.  It was much more fun/festive than a regular tie would have been!

GC

• Like 2

We were on our first Oceania cruise last week.

My husband did NOT take a sports coat (or suit) and other than at Jacques did not stand out.  Most of the men in Jacques had a sports coat and several were very dressed up (along with their wives.)  Not so in the other dining venues.  

I brought two nice pairs of slacks and a few nicer tops--different jewelry.  Worked for me.

• Thanks 1