Walking Directions to Boatyard

topcruz

We just got off the ship today and walked to Boatyard this week. It is an easy, safe walk. The only part I was a little nervous about is when walking out of  the port area you will see about 50 taxis all offering you a ride. When you tell them you are going to walk they laugh or say you can’t do that or is miles away. It is not. Once you get out of the port area, it is a nice walk along the water.

5267FF71-AEEF-4E87-81FF-C17966B99670.png

F891E95D-9832-4BE0-BF3F-DD321D8C51A5.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 9 months later...
On 11/25/2018 at 7:13 PM, FlaMommy75 said:

We just got off the ship today and walked to Boatyard this week. It is an easy, safe walk. The only part I was a little nervous about is when walking out of  the port area you will see about 50 taxis all offering you a ride. When you tell them you are going to walk they laugh or say you can’t do that or is miles away. It is not. Once you get out of the port area, it is a nice walk along the water.

5267FF71-AEEF-4E87-81FF-C17966B99670.png

F891E95D-9832-4BE0-BF3F-DD321D8C51A5.png

Thanks for this!! Based on your profile pic...... did the kids make the walk with you? And were they able to take advantage of the boatyard activities? 

On 9/16/2019 at 9:52 AM, NateUpNorth said:

Thanks for this!! Based on your profile pic...... did the kids make the walk with you? And were they able to take advantage of the boatyard activities? 

I totally just laughed out loud when I looked at my profile pic and realized I have been on CC for awhile now because my kids are now 15 and 13. Wow, time flies! Anyways, they were 14 and 12 when we did the walk and were fine (and my daughter complains a lot).

Oh, and all ages were on the rope swing. I saw really young children swinging and they had life jackets to swim out to the trampoline.

Edited by FlaMommy75

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/17/2019 at 10:30 AM, FlaMommy75 said:

I totally just laughed out loud when I looked at my profile pic and realized I have been on CC for awhile now because my kids are now 15 and 13. Wow, time flies! Anyways, they were 14 and 12 when we did the walk and were fine (and my daughter complains a lot).

Oh, and all ages were on the rope swing. I saw really young children swinging and they had life jackets to swim out to the trampoline.

LOL. That is funny!

Mine will be 9 and 6, but I'm thinking I'll put them through the ordeal of walking if the estimated distance of 950m is correct. Thanks!

We have walked there from port and took us about 20-30 minutes not the 12 as suggested unless you are a very fast walker.  It is a nice flat walk along the waterfront.  We were not planning on going there but ended up there.  We plan to actually go there when we sail in December.

On 9/28/2019 at 5:27 PM, gfkcruiser said:

We have walked there from port and took us about 20-30 minutes not the 12 as suggested unless you are a very fast walker.  It is a nice flat walk along the waterfront.  We were not planning on going there but ended up there.  We plan to actually go there when we sail in December.

20-30 mins along the waterfront sounds like a nice walk.

We dock at 8, Boatyard opens at 9. Seeing as the kids usually make us "early risers" the timing might be perfect!

• 2 weeks later...
17 hours ago, soonernstlouis said:

One place I would not waste 20-30 minutes of my time walking is Barbados.  Well worth the $5/pp we spent on the taxi to the Boatyard last month.  We were so spoiled by being the only ship in port that day & 78 degree high (water was still warm).  Best beach by far on our trip.

Magnificent!!

If we walk it will because we're up early and we'll still end up at the Boatyard for the time they open. Oh the perils of kids who wake up early. *sigh* But we do want to be there early to get our names on the list for the boat trip out to snorkel with the turtles.

• Haha 1

• 2 months later...

AVOID boatyard.

Whenthere more ships in port, they get full quickly.

They stil ltake your money and gives no refunds when you cant find chair/umbrella even in back rows.

This time they even run out of spot on turtle tour.

No refunds.

There are better options adjoining Boatyard (any one of them would be good enough)

AVOID Boatyard (unless there are only 2 ships in port)

It is walkable but not a pretty walk. (in spite of most of it being on waterfront)

Just check out google maps. It is 2.4 km - 29 min walk.

Poster above has given wrong information.

Edited by hal2008
  • Like 1

On 1/1/2020 at 11:28 AM, hal2008 said:

AVOID boatyard.

I get it.  You had a bad experience.  I'd still like to hear the other side to the story.  Boatyard is the most popular club on the beach.  There must be a reason.

34 minutes ago, sft429 said:

I get it.  You had a bad experience.  I'd still like to hear the other side to the story.  Boatyard is the most popular club on the beach.  There must be a reason.

Reasons for its popularity:

a) Clever marketting (nice website, brochures at hotels/information desks, $5 entry to crew members in past)

b) It is indeed good place (just like its neighbours)  when it is not crowed

If you go when number of people in the port are on low side or go super early to secure a chair and utilize all they have to offer (as they charge full amount upfront) then you indeed will have good experience (even better than the adjoinning facilities as it has some nice water toys)

What is wrong with them is their unethical practice of continuing to collect the money when they know they cant deliver and then refuse to refund.

Neighbouring facilities (who do not market aggressively) offer better value as you pay only for the subset of facilities you use and hence there is no question of not delivering and needing refund.

Remember, beauty is in Carlisle Bay Beach (which is public and shared by all establishments - not specific to Boatyard)

Edited by hal2008
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Can we access the beach near the Boatyard and purchase a chair/umbrella without going through the Boatyard?  I don't want their package.  I just want to sit on the beach with an umbrella.

22 hours ago, modem9 said:

Can we access the beach near the Boatyard and purchase a chair/umbrella without going through the Boatyard?  I don't want their package.  I just want to sit on the beach with an umbrella.

Harbor Lights and Lobster Alive, both just past the Boatyard, offer chair and umbrella rental, plus bar service and bathroom facilities

• 2 weeks later...

When you see this arch at one end of the bridge over the water

you're nearly there!

Walk right under it, keep to the right going up Bay Street(traffic)

-and you'll come to Lobster Alive, a lil bit after Boatyard's bright yellow wall.

Lobster is usually less crowded (that's their beach in the other pic)

ARCH.JPG

Lobster_beach.jpg

• 1 year later...
12 hours ago, JoAnneV said:

Can you snorkel from the beach?

Yes - but other than a few fish under the pier you will not see anything.  You can walk down the beach from the Boatyard and snorkel out to the shipwreck, but that's a LONG swim.  Pre-Virus the Boatyard used to include a boat trip out to swim with the turtles and snorkel the wreck - hopefully that continues. 

4 hours ago, JohninDC said:

Yes - but other than a few fish under the pier you will not see anything.  You can walk down the beach from the Boatyard and snorkel out to the shipwreck, but that's a LONG swim.  Pre-Virus the Boatyard used to include a boat trip out to swim with the turtles and snorkel the wreck - hopefully that continues. 

Thank you.  That helps me plan.  I like to snorkel especially from the beach, but I"m not a great swimmer.  I'll check on the trip.  I think their website still shows it, but who knows what the reality is.

On 5/21/2021 at 6:36 AM, JohninDC said:

Yes - but other than a few fish under the pier you will not see anything.

You can walk down the beach from the Boatyard and snorkel out to the shipwreck, but that's a LONG swim.

Pre-Virus...

The Boatyard used to include a boat trip

out to swim with the turtles and snorkel the wreck

- hopefully that continues. ===> By the time U get here, that could be your luck?

John is not misleading you - he's on the ball.

I'm a big shell-collector and snorkeller, and can confirm
that 99% of snorkelling Carlisle Bay straight out from the beach

results in acres and acres of boring white sand bottom!
Only reason I go.. is that Naticids (Moon Snails) prefer sand
and there's a tiny chance I might get lucky.

Snorkelling out to the shipwrecks is a fair distance from shore

and if you're not a great swimmer, it's not for you - sorry!

Here's a chart of the wrecks in Carlisle Bay (15-20 ft. depth minimum!)

and a box of local Moon Snails(left) and Cowries(right).

C Bay WRECKS-2.jpg

Box-186.jpg