Bus Etiquette

Baandb

On our last couple of cruises, we have been more conscious of the behaviour of some of our fellow passengers when using buses for excursions.

1.  There is inevitably a couple (travelling together) who will take 2 seats on opposite sides of the aisle - so that each can have an unimpeded window view.  (This also tends to correspond to those seats where there is no pylon separating the glass panels)

2.   Our expectation is that (like egressing from an aircraft), those at the front egress first, whilst those further down the aisle wait their turn to exit.  However there always seems to be guest who will force there way down the aisle earlier so that they can be off the bus 10 secs earlier...

3.   Guests travelling as a group will have 1 member of the party arrive early at the bus, and then reserve seats nearbyfor others in their party using hats and umbrellas etc.  This seems rather pointless as busses are not conducive to extended conversations

4.  There are often 2 sets of doors on the bus, with one set midway down the bus, enabling those at the rear of the bus to egress quicker.  However, those passengers slightly forward of these middle doors will typically want use these doors as well.  Although they more convenient or these particular passengers, it ends up slowing down the exits for the majority of passengers - as the load transfers from the front doors to the rear doors.

5.  The Oceania process is for guests to receive there bus number, and then it in the lounge for their number to be called.  However, it seems there are passengers who ignore the instructions and head of immediately to the busses.  This is particularly evident in those excursions that require significant travel on the   bus.

Whilst the majority of fellow passengers are courteous, it is bemusing to watch the above behaviours...

im interested in seeing whether others have noted similar actions? 

While your observations are occasionally accurate, they don’t touch upon the reasons many of us avoid Oceania shore tours. We currently have two Oceania cruises booked and zero (0) O shore tours. Via the Roll Calls, we have all private tours booked, same as our last couple of cruises. 

Enjoy your cruises.

17 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

While your observations are occasionally accurate, they don’t touch upon the reasons many of us avoid Oceania shore tours. We currently have two Oceania cruises booked and zero (0) O shore tours. Via the Roll Calls, we have all private tours booked, same as our last couple of cruises. 

Enjoy your cruises.

That type of rude behavior isn't limited to Oceania ship tours!!  I've experienced it on nearly all the private tours I've taken. Sadly, much of the thoughtless acts are by older people...who, frankly, should be modeling good behavior.  But everywhere in life you'll find selfishness, which is the root of rudeness. 

• Like 2

People watching on organised tours both private and ship can be quite interesting. I recall on a pre cruise African safari one passenger complained of a painful knee and difficulty in walking. We happily gave her the front seat next to the driver each day. However we later joined the couple in a larger group on a port tour and watched as she ran to the bus to secure a front seat!! We didn’t mind but it did amuse us. 

7 minutes ago, sunnies said:

People watching on organised tours both private and ship can be quite interesting. I recall on a pre cruise African safari one passenger complained of a painful knee and difficulty in walking. We happily gave her the front seat next to the driver each day. However we later joined the couple in a larger group on a port tour and watched as she ran to the bus to secure a front seat!! We didn’t mind but it did amuse us. 

What’s the matter - don’t you believe in miracles? 😄

I confess that DH and I (we usually end up boarding later in the process anyway) will take seats in separate rows.  But we always give up the extra seat if people need it.

And yes, we do prefer private tours for all the reasons others have expressed.  But with oLife we have taken a number of ship's tours in the past few years, and pretty much were happy with them.

Mura

1 hour ago, Mura said:

I confess that DH and I (we usually end up boarding later in the process anyway) will take seats in separate rows.  But we always give up the extra seat if people need it.

And yes, we do prefer private tours for all the reasons others have expressed.  But with oLife we have taken a number of ship's tours in the past few years, and pretty much were happy with them.

Mura

We too prefer to take separate seats for personal comfort but ALWAYS in the last 2 rows of the bus - even when we board the bus early in the boarding process. If those seats are needed - very rare as they almost never fill the bus to capacity - we gladly give those seats up.

I think the OP’s list is spot on! But I would add that there is also the problem caused by the people who upon returning to the bus after a stop, sit in different seats to earlier, creating chaos for everybody else. Could be accidental, could be deliberate to get better seats. 

2 hours ago, marylizcat said:

I think the OP’s list is spot on! But I would add that there is also the problem caused by the people who upon returning to the bus after a stop, sit in different seats to earlier, creating chaos for everybody else. Could be accidental, could be deliberate to get better seats. 

Most guests leave something on their seats so they can find their seat  again.  If someone  was seating in your seat with the sweater you left behind or the umbrella  I think they would notice it.. at least I hope so.  I have miscounted and  thn I get up and move.

21 minutes ago, ellbon said:

Most guests leave something on their seats so they can find their seat  again.  If someone  was seating in your seat with the sweater you left behind or the umbrella  I think they would notice it.. at least I hope so.  I have miscounted and  thn I get up and move.

Yes, we do try to remember to do that. Means having to take something extra along though!

2 minutes ago, marylizcat said:

Yes, we do try to remember to do that. Means having to take something extra along though!

Not for me. i am cold on the bus so take   a sweater or shawl. taken an  umbrella ans not needed it.   so no big deal

I can't recall a time when we noticed people returning to the bus and taking the "wrong" seats but no doubt that can happen.  I always make it a point to find a landmark (assuming I don't have something to leave on my seat, which in fact I usually do) so that I'll be sure to get back to the right seat.  We're usually towards the back of the bus anyway ... which sometimes is easier, especially if the bus isn't full.  As in the past 2-3 years it usually hasn't been.

Mura

3 hours ago, commodore2010 said:

You forgot my biggest annoyance

6) The couple who is constantly late back to the bus and we all have to wait for them. Even though they are reminded to be back on time, they are late at every stop. 

If they are not on time the bus should leave them there and they would have to get back to the ship on their own.  Would wait only 10 min. or so.  Bet they would never be late again. 

8 hours ago, commodore2010 said:

You forgot my biggest annoyance

6) The couple who is constantly late back to the bus and we all have to wait for them. Even though they are reminded to be back on time, they are late at every stop. 

Saw this twice on Crystal. I went to the manager of shore ex, said it was not fair to the rest of us. Also her teen sons took the front seat on bus and let older people walk right on by. Think God i was never in another bus with her again.

Uh oh.

Just as we are considering doing some O tours next year, due to the specific itinerary and selection of excursions offered.

We've typically tried to avoid any sort of big bus tour, no matter who organized them.

Too many "free spirits of a variety of types", etc.

And it only takes one to have a big effect on everyone else.

Anyone who is late for the bus a second time?  Forget it...

I can't even imagine, unless some "bad" happened somehow.

Is this characteristic of O excursions, or the occasional exception?

GC

Another cruise line. Both beach days.. one day she used the line at bathroom..we were tomgomfrom a snorkel boat to the bus. No real time allowed for toilet. But it was the second day in a row. The shore ex mnager thought I wanted to make sure I was not in her bus. I wanted to make sure the guide, us driver and the person from the ship knew she was always late. And had rude kids.

GC, we usually do private tours for the most part, although since oLife came into play we have taken advantage of a few ship's tours on each cruise.  It's a very long time since we encountered people who are late getting back to the bus.  The last time I really remember that happening was on our second Renaissance cruise, and that was almost 19 years ago.  (In that case the couple was indeed routinely late in getting back to the bus at each stop.)  And typically we haven't run into rude people.

But you never know what will happen on your bus on that day!  I would never say it can never happen, that's for sure.

But I also wouldn't say these things always happen.

I never heard of the rule that the first people to board the bus should head to the back of the bus, however!!  If that were the case, wouldn't people routinely hang back so they could be the last to board the bus???? (No, I am not taking that lady seriously!)

Mura

3 hours ago, GeezerCouple said:

Is this characteristic of O excursions, or the occasional exception?

GC

it  seems to happen on many ship's tours  not just O

it is human nature at it's best

no regard for  others

we had 2 ladies  do this on  a ship's tour (not O ) in SPB   they were  30 mins late in most of the stops

the guide finally told them if they were not back on time he would leave  them & pick up some strangers just to make the  head count  when he got back to the ship 😉

They made it back ontime at the next stop  but by then most of the day was gone & we missed a stop because of the delays  they caused

they were not popular on the bus ride back

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, ssawjo said:

We were on a Nautica cruise and I saw some of these activities.  There was one couple who were notorious about number 1.  And this was on private tours.

Funny...I was recently on a land tour which involved bus rides, and the front seats were often not taken.  I don’t think I’ve ever seen that before!

When we took a ship's tour up the mountain in Kotor this past May we lucked out and got the front seats.  This we never do because no matter how fast we walk others are always ahead of us!  Also, there was no "reserved" sign on either side which helped.  We usually end up at the back of the bus ...

Normally we don't mind that, but this particular ride was so much more enjoyable when we had a perfect view and could see what a great job the driver did negotiating hair pin turns with his big bus.  Lots of cars coming the other way had to back up when they saw us!

Mura

As a retired bus driver, I can tell you that when I take a "busman's holiday", I will rarely, given the choice, sit in the front few rows.

I prefer the center, for safety, as well as a smoother ride...

Some tour companies, like Tauck, have a policy on multiday trips, of rotating the seats a couple of times a day, to give everyone a fair chance....