Dress Code Question

ScottC4746

On 11/19/2018 at 9:37 PM, onthelake said:

So if my husband and son wear suits, they will be in the minority?

No, they will not be in the minority at all. . Surprising number of men in dark suits on Gala Night on our last cruise. Every time someone on CC claims this would be a "casual" cruise (Alaska, Caribbean) we ended up being very surprised how many were actually enjoying really dressing up. Your call -do what you like best. 

13 minutes ago, Recruiter66 said:

We like dressing up, a tux isn't unheard of, you'll see tux's for sure

Probably 10% of men still wear tuxes, easily 70-80% of women very dressed up. And many, many men in dark suits on our last cruise. 

Different ships and different dining times seem to also factor into the experience: smaller, older ships, late fixed dining, upper dining room may be where one still sees a lot more Gala Night dressing up. Love it. 

Edited by OlsSalt

On our NA Inside Passage cruise, I wore a sport coat and was definitely in the minority.  Of course, if you go too casual they may ask you to change into more appropriate attire.  As my brother in law sat down the maitre d' came up behind him and asked him to return to his stateroom and change into appropriate attire, too funny imho!!  Some want to be comfortable while others want to dress to the nines and I believe HAL is trying to balance both customers.  Too casual ruins the elegance that those dressing up seek to have on gala nights.  Slacks and a dress shirt is easy.  Add a sport coat for a smarter look.

On 11/21/2018 at 9:10 PM, SailawayWI said:

As my brother in law sat down the maitre d' came up behind him and asked him to return to his stateroom and change into appropriate attire, too funny imho!!  

What was your brother-in-law wearing? (Or not wearing, if that was the problem.)

On 11/21/2018 at 9:10 PM, SailawayWI said:

On our NA Inside Passage cruise, I wore a sport coat and was definitely in the minority.  Of course, if you go too casual they may ask you to change into more appropriate attire.  As my brother in law sat down the maitre d' came up behind him and asked him to return to his stateroom and change into appropriate attire, too funny imho!!  Some want to be comfortable while others want to dress to the nines and I believe HAL is trying to balance both customers.  Too casual ruins the elegance that those dressing up seek to have on gala nights.  Slacks and a dress shirt is easy.  Add a sport coat for a smarter look.

I am curious -- what was your brother-in-law wearing??

He was wearing jeans and maybe leather sandals.  Accepted all nights but Gala. We were on Level 3 at the same table each night.  Just back from the Eastern Caribbean and have to say we were disappointed at the level of dress allowed in the MDR this time on Level 2. Not sure if this is due to being in a warm region or not, but it wasn’t close to what one would expect.  

On the first night of the voyage there were numerous men in shorts, one man in printed swimming shorts, numerous non collared shirts and too many sandals and sneakers to count.  Gala nights were better but we watched one “gentleman” remove his Birkenstock sandals at the table adjacent sitting bare foot at his table... gross.  At least one much older gentleman had his white socks with open toed Teva type sandals on each night we saw him.  I’m not here to be the fashion police, but I don’t understand how you go on a nice vacation and then dress like you’re going out to the beach bar or McDonalds while others are dressed neatly at a fine dining restaurant. I wish those that want to be casual would eat at the Lido or get in room dining. Overall great cruise again with HAL. 

On 11/18/2018 at 9:56 PM, ScottC4746 said:

Sadly, like on land, the good old days of dressing up are gone.  Look at old films of Disneyland in the late 50's when it first opened compared to the way they dress now.  As cruise line have evolved to reach to newer and pardon the phrase here, not as elite, clientele, the dress code has had to relax. Not everyone has formals and to stress over renting or doing Tux by Sea and praying everything fits has added to this.   The Downton Abby days of wearing at least 6 different outfits a day are gone.  As Krazy Kruzers pointed out, with airline restrictions on number of bags and weight are implemented, and getting stricter, the need to lighten the load necessitates losing the formal.  For women it was a gown, handbag, and shoes...but men had it worse with the tux shirt, the tux jacket, the tux slacks, the suspenders, the cummerbund, the cuff links, the studs, the bow tie, the patent leather shoes...that all took space and weight and a lot of time getting dressed.  It takes a long time to get into a tux or does me...time I would rather spend in the social quarters of the ship and not in my stateroom.  Maybe I am trying to hang on to the past of Emily Post and clothing, but we are in a new century now with travel.  Even plane and train travel people don't dress like they used to.  Just like I refuse to wear short in the dining car on a train at night, I refuse to wear shorts in the evening on a cruise ship.  Whether that is required or not on a ship, I don't know, but personal preference.  I am also one who won't go parading down the corridor on a ship or hotel to the pool shirtless.  Again, personal preference.  

I agree with you...I love seeing the ship dressed up,at least a few nights. On a cruise.  It just feels more elegant.  I don’t understand the problem with cleaning up a bit.

13 hours ago, AliceS said:

I don’t understand the problem with cleaning up a bit.

We don't have a problem at all with 'cleaning up' a bit. In fact we do it every day onboard the ship... usually in the shower though, of course.. :classic_blink::classic_smile:

• Like 1

We have not been fans of formal night for a long time.  Not simply the dressing up although we find that just a little silly.

The food is really nothing special, the dining room is loud, the service can be slow.

So yes, we do 'clean up' but we have instead cleaned up for the buffet or for an alternate dining venue for quite some time now.

Other than perhaps the name, there has been nothing special about formal/gala nights to us for quite a few years.

Edited by iancal

Just got off a 7 day Caribbean cruise on the Rotterdam. Vast majority of men wore jackets on Gala Night. All men wore at least slacks, collared shirt and tie but most also wore a jacket. Have yet to be on a HAL cruise where the majority of men wore only slacks and collared shirts on Gala Night. 

11 minutes ago, ginger and professor said:

With the relaxation of dress codes, I am at a loss for Gala dress.  Is it proper to have the bill of your baseball cap pointing forward or backwards at the dining table?

Backwards if you are wearing a t-shirt; forward in all other cases.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ginger and professor said:

With the relaxation of dress codes, I am at a loss for Gala dress.  Is it proper to have the bill of your baseball cap pointing forward or backwards at the dining table?

Backwards, but only if you're going to a job interview for baseball umpire :classic_cool:

• Like 2

Just got off the Eurodam cruise. I have never seen so many ugly old jeans and plaid shirts worn in the MDR on most nights,  including gala nights.  Some women weren't any better with their choices of clothing including yoga pants and flip-flops.  You can pretty well wear anything you want to the MDR on the Eurodam and not be turned away.

4 hours ago, Kruzer Zuker said:

Dockers and shirts are the new norm on mass market cruise lines.   

And I agree with this new norm. When I retired I gave all of my suits and sport jackets away and the last thing I want to do is buy a new one and wear it on any vacation. I will wear jeans, dockers and perhaps a pair of slacks and button shirt on any night I choose in the MDR, you will not see me in a tie or jacket.

Edited by terrydtx
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, ginger and professor said:

Forward. The formal baseball cap looks silly otherwise. (Unless you are a catcher.) 

d9406a09c8069bad12ab37c85d03e58e

1 hour ago, taxmantoo said:

Although I have seen those in both the Main Theater and the Piano Bar on more than one occasion :classic_ohmy:

As have I. The comedian who was performing that night made the woman in pajamas---sitting down front, where he couldn't miss her---the butt of some of his jokes.
He was hilarious.

• Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 4:33 AM, ithaca gal said:

Just got off a 7 day Caribbean cruise on the Rotterdam. Vast majority of men wore jackets on Gala Night. All men wore at least slacks, collared shirt and tie but most also wore a jacket. Have yet to be on a HAL cruise where the majority of men wore only slacks and collared shirts on Gala Night. 

Agree!