JADE CRUISE CANCELED DURING CRUISE

7 hours ago, Jolie said:

Anyone know when the refund will be issued? Or when the future cruise credit will appear?

Not sure how long it will take for the refund but the future cruise credit will probably go into your NCL account like the cruiseNext deposits. 

54 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Not sure how long it will take for the refund but the future cruise credit will probably go into your NCL account like the cruiseNext deposits. 

8 hours ago, Jolie said:

Anyone know when the refund will be issued? Or when the future cruise credit will appear?

Unfortunately, the future credit will not show up on your myncl account.  You or your TA have to call NCL to have it applied to a new cruise.

The refund will go back to the credit card used for the original payments. We booked direct with NCL.  Ours showed up on the last day of the cruise, but I heard from others that if they booked and paid through a travel agent that the refund came via the travel agent.

We made it home at 10pm last night.  We had a flight yesterday morning that Delta oversold so we decided to stay in PR for the day for $500 each.  I was able to call the hotel we had checked out of and they agreed to let us come back and stay in the room until time to leave for the later flight.

Our CruiseNext voucher from this trip has already been redeposited in my account.  The agent at NCL told me that it might take until Tuesday/Wednesday of next week for the credit vouchers to be posted because of the holiday...but she said it should be able to applied to an existing booking, so we took advantage of a Black Friday sale from an online travel agency and just booked a 9-night Baltic Capitals cruise sailing on July 4. 

Hope everybody make it back where they want to be soon.  This was an adventure we will NEVER forget.

• Like 1

On 11/21/2018 at 8:09 AM, Tatiana84 said:

I am constantly checking my emails and nothing. This was a pretty traumatic experience for me... never in my wildest dreams did I think that I would have to FLY!  I normally fly with anxiety prescription medication of which I had no time to obtain since I had to pack(fam of 4) and debarked in ten minutes. The flight was terrifying... but I’m glad we made it home, late but safe and sound. I hope you all have a wonderful thanksgiving and great stories to tell on your thanksgiving table!

You were only told 10 minutes before you had to debark that you were flying home?  I thought there was a letter that went out at least 24 hours prior to when you debarked that told everyone they were flying home? 

21 minutes ago, bbixler18 said:

You were only told 10 minutes before you had to debark that you were flying home?  I thought there was a letter that went out at least 24 hours prior to when you debarked that told everyone they were flying home? 

nope.... My mom got a letter at 12:10 pm that we had to be at the pier with the bags packed at 12 pm. Yeap, you read that right. Oh, and we didn't even get the letter or a call, and I was in the cabin till 12.

Obviously, 12 pm debarkation didn't happen, but we did pack with a speed of light and then waited on the pier... It's like - hurry up and wait.

NCL was flying people out in increments and there was a very short notice, at least on the first day (Monday). And then there was a very long wait - on the pier, on the bus, on the plane...

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

3 minutes ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

nope.... My mom got a letter at 12:10 pm that we had to be at the pier with the bags packed at 12 pm. Yeap, you read that right. Oh, and we didn't even get the letter or a call, and I was in the cabin till 12.

Obviously, 12 pm debarkation didn't happen, but we did pack with a speed of light and then waited on the pier... It's like - hurry up and wait.

NCL was flying people out in increments and there was a very short notice, at least on the first day (Monday). And then there was a very long wait - on the pier, on the bus, on the plane...

I think you may have misunderstood my point.  The individual I quoted mentioned "never in my wildest dreams did I think I would have to FLY!" and that it was terrifying without anxiety meds. 

The OP of this thread posted on SUNDAY night that everyone was told the cruise was canceled and the 2nd person in this thread said charter planes were taking everyone back TUESDAY.  So, NO, people did not find out, for the first time, 10 minutes prior to debarking they were FLYING home. 

24 minutes ago, bbixler18 said:

I think you may have misunderstood my point.  The individual I quoted mentioned "never in my wildest dreams did I think I would have to FLY!" and that it was terrifying without anxiety meds. 

The OP of this thread posted on SUNDAY night that everyone was told the cruise was canceled and the 2nd person in this thread said charter planes were taking everyone back TUESDAY.  So, NO, people did not find out, for the first time, 10 minutes prior to debarking they were FLYING home. 

yeah, we were also told we'd flying home on Tuesday and will be able to disembark on Monday in PR to spend the day there. Perhaps, she thought she'd have time to get a prescription and fill it, or find out whether she could make alternative arrangements.

Needless to say, we were not allowed off the ship on Monday to explore San Juan, but instead were notified that we had to pack immediately and leave on a chartered plane. There was quite a bit of a chaos, miscommunication and misinformation...

The individual I quoted mentioned "never in my wildest dreams did I think I would have to FLY!" and that it was terrifying without anxiety meds.

but, of course... she is from Miami, sailed out of Miami and thought she'd sail back to Miami on Jade. Never in her wildest dreams did she think that Jade would experience a mechanical failure and that she would have to FLY home, so she never brought the anxiety meds with her. That's what she meant. Not that she found out that she was flying home 10 minutes prior to disembarkation, but that she was FLYING home in general.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 2

On 11/20/2018 at 8:42 PM, RaginCajunCruisers337 said:

Can you provide more info about this pleas? Very curious if this is what caused our dilemma. 

I also was on the Jade last week. I was in a forward owner's suite and was standing on my starboard balcony. I felt it and saw dirt and sand being churned up. Then we stopped. We were still for a few minutes ,then started again- more stuff churned up and then we started to move. We left Costa Maya on Wednesday and were being hit with 40 mph crosswinds. The captain had to speed up to keep us on course.This kept up until late Thursday night. There were barf bags everywhere. It was rough!

Companies hide under an obscure country flag and avoid doing costly routine maintenance and safety inspections and then they are surprised when something breaks. It is disappointing when companies put profit ahead of safety and comfort of their customers.  This is happening all too often to be a coincidence.

42 minutes ago, PelicanBill said:

What am I missing here... remaining 7 days sailing canceled Sunday in San Juan, yet the ship will be back in Miami early on Friday? What day were you originally due back - Saturday or Sunday?  What ports were left in the itinerary?

we were supposed to come back on Monday, the 26th. All ports were left off besides the Puerto Rico... St Kitts, St Lucia, St Thomas and Martin, Barbados...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sky111 said:

Companies hide under an obscure country flag and avoid doing costly routine maintenance and safety inspections and then they are surprised when something breaks. It is disappointing when companies put profit ahead of safety and comfort of their customers.  This is happening all too often to be a coincidence.

well, I don't know how NCL would profit from 100% refunds, future cruise credit, hiring charter planes to haul 2,600 passengers to the port of origin, refunding their flight change fees and comping the hotels, paying overtime to their employees versus maintenance. Crap happens.

• Like 5

9 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

well, I don't know how NCL would profit from 100% refunds, future cruise credit, hiring charter planes to haul 2,600 passengers to the port of origin, refunding their flight change fees and comping the hotels, paying overtime to their employees versus maintenance. Crap happens.

Thanks Itchy for posting this response and I have to reiterate your message. Listen folks. I get it that no matter what the company does, for those like this member, it will never be good enough, they will complain, and they will come up with conspiracy theories for dramatic effect. 

NCL should be commended and Ingive them then my utmost respect for how they handled this mechanical failure. Do you folks have any idea what it costs and the logistics involved in chartering a dozen 767 flights? They refunded your TOTAL cruise cost and gave you 100% future credit and helped many of you through the land based issues and some accommodations. This is unprecedented. Tell me, what do you think Brand X down the street on NW 87th ST would have done or Brand Y on Dodge Island would have done for you? 20% refund and 20% OBC for future credit and a good luck. History says that’s what they would have done and that’s a fact.

No other operators would have charted you 12 aircraft to Miami. None. It’s unprecedented. 

In aviation, airlines have brand new aircraft experience mechanical failures all the time. 12 year old aircraft (Jade’s time in service) experience failure all the time. They deplane the passengers and fly them under ferry permits empty with the crew to a maintenance base all the time. That’s for you’re  safety. NCL looked out for your safety and took you off the ship. You will have another cruise coming to you and they did ALL they could to mitigate the effects of  this uncontrollable event to you as they could. Again, what has brand X or Y done in the past with these experiences? 

Andy Stuart and Frank Del Rio and Sharehokders you should be very very proud of your company and people today. Crew and NCL staff, bravo. 

Im sorry folks. For the Debbie Downers our there that feed off of negativity and are never happy, get over yourselves. It’s Thanksgiving. Go be thankful for what your have and what’s been done for you. 

Like Itchy said, you travel and ‘stuff’ happens.  That’s why they sell travel insurance folks. Especially for cruises.  I’ve been a professional pilot and aviation safety professional for over 20 years, and I’ve safely transported the traveling public, and what happened here happens, all the time, but the outcome here provided by your carrier NCL is as great as it gets to mitigate its effects.  

This is a perfect reason why I’m now a brand loyal customer to NCL. 

Safe Travels, and try and see the glass half full for those whom it’s always half empty. Actually, the glass they handed you is full to the top. 

Edited by SailBreakaway
  • Like 8

Great to see the positive comments about the way NCL has handled the financial aspects of this problem.  OK there have been logistics glitches but what do you expect in a week with Thanksgiving in the middle.  All in all I would have thought that cruisers should be giving NCL a great big bouquet.

They have learned from the shambles that occurred after the Star had its "meltdown(s)" starting in Singapore a couple of years ago.

9 hours ago, SailBreakaway said:

No other operators would have charted you 12 aircraft to Miami. None. It’s unprecedented. 

While the numbers may differ, Carnival undertook a similar evacuation from St Maarten in March 2013 when the Dream suffered a significant generator failure.

• Like 2

On 11/22/2018 at 8:35 AM, bbixler18 said:

Yes, we received NO communication. We were on our way to take the kids to Splash Academy when my husband noticed a blinking light on the phone. It was a voice message that we were booked on a 10pm flight out.... although we all knew we had to leave, we didn’t know WHEN and there was no advanced notice, just a notice to drop everything and go.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

yeah, we were also told we'd flying home on Tuesday and will be able to disembark on Monday in PR to spend the day there. Perhaps, she thought she'd have time to get a prescription and fill it, or find out whether she could make alternative arrangements.

Needless to say, we were not allowed off the ship on Monday to explore San Juan, but instead were notified that we had to pack immediately and leave on a chartered plane. There was quite a bit of a chaos, miscommunication and misinformation...

but, of course... she is from Miami, sailed out of Miami and thought she'd sail back to Miami on Jade. Never in her wildest dreams did she think that Jade would experience a mechanical failure and that she would have to FLY home, so she never brought the anxiety meds with her. That's what she meant. Not that she found out that she was flying home 10 minutes prior to disembarkation, but that she was FLYING home in general.

We were told we could spend that second day in PR and were just waiting for customs to clear us. I had booked a car rental so that I could spend the day in PR since that’s were all my family lives. This was going to facilitate me getting some medication as well as quelling my anxiety of flying by being with my family. Things turned out differently. In order to fly, I go under a one month treatment plan with a cocktail of 3 medications, of which I had zero access to. Instead. I was drinking like a fish... something I didn’t want to do but had no choice cuz it was either drink away and pass out or cause a scene and get kicked out the flight. I also had a mental breakdown of which my husband had to deal with... thank god for my daughters being old enough to wander around the ship that they didn’t get to witness it. To this day... I still get shaky just thinking about being forced into that airplane from some random airline with a loud motor and flickering cabin lights. I’m just thankful that we made it ok. I think NCL could have done better with the communication.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Tatiana84 said:

We were told we could spend that second day in PR and were just waiting for customs to clear us. I had booked a car rental so that I could spend the day in PR since that’s were all my family lives. This was going to facilitate me getting some medication as well as quelling my anxiety of flying by being with my family. Things turned out differently. In order to fly, I go under a one month treatment plan with a cocktail of 3 medications, of which I had zero access to. Instead. I was drinking like a fish... something I didn’t want to do but had no choice cuz it was either drink away and pass out or cause a scene and get kicked out the flight. I also had a mental breakdown of which my husband had to deal with... thank god for my daughters being old enough to wander around the ship that they didn’t get to witness it. To this day... I still get shaky just thinking about being forced into that airplane from some random airline with a loud motor and flickering cabin lights. I’m just thankful that we made it ok. I think NCL could have done better with the communication.

Good thing is that you made it home in one piece.  Put everything behind you and just concentrate on how much fun you will have on your next cruise using the future cruise credit or you can write a letter to NCL demanding further compensation.

34 minutes ago, PTC DAWG said:

If you are afraid to fly, cruising may not be for you...ships break down, you never know where...

Oh, that makes so much sense. One has issues with flying so definitely do not use a ship. :classic_rolleyes:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1