JADE CRUISE CANCELED DURING CRUISE

7 hours ago, Tatiana84 said:

How is it that NCL was quick to charge me my gratuities but I have YET to receive my refund or credit towards a future cruise?.... that's a little more than frustrating.:classic_angry:

We havent received our refund yet either.  I called and the had the wrong expiration for our cc.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

All charges paid in advance of the cruise have been refunded to my credit card, the voucher was available and we have booked our next cruise.  I submitted receipts to Guest Relations on 11/26 totaling almost $1800 in out of pocket expense to get home from  Puerto Rico.  I received an email today from NCL that they are processing a check for $1300 (650/person).  I had private travel insurance and will be filing with them for the remainder of out of pocket expense.

Dear Mr. Johnson:

Thank you for your correspondence.

We apologize for any disappointment and inconvenience you experienced, due to the cancellation of your November 16, 2018 voyage aboard Norwegian Jade.  We have received your receipts for your out of pocket expenses. As such, we have requested a check on your behalf from our accounting department in the amount of $1,300.00, which represents our maximum of $650.00 per person out of pocket expense coverage. This check will be forwarded to you under separate cover within approximately 3-4 weeks.

We appreciate the opportunity to address your concerns and look forward to welcoming you onboard in the near future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bravestwj said:

I submitted receipts to Guest Relations on 11/26 totaling almost $1800 in out of pocket expense to get home from  Puerto Rico.  I received an email today from NCL that they are processing a check for $1300 (650/person).  I had private travel insurance and will be filing with them for the remainder of out of pocket expense.

did you arrange for your own travel from Puerto Rico to FL? Why was it so expensive?

We took the first charter out to Miami, Norwegian paid for our hotel stay in Miami, and the next morning we flew MIA-ATL for $146 pp.

You appear to be from FL.... The other people we met on the way were flying back to Germany and Australia, so I'd understand if their expenses were $1,800 total...

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy
  • Like 1

On 12/13/2018 at 11:22 AM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

did you arrange for your own travel from Puerto Rico to FL? Why was it so expensive?

We took the first charter out to Miami, Norwegian paid for our hotel stay in Miami, and the next morning we flew MIA-ATL for $146 pp.

You appear to be from FL.... The other people we met on the way were flying back to Germany and Australia, so I'd understand if their expenses were $1,800 total...

I waited to book flights until Tuesday afternoon waiting on an NCL charter that we were never called for.  By that time I was purchasing a very last minute flight on the day before Thanksgiving.  Flights were $700 each plus hotel, meals and transportation.  NCL is mailing a check for $1300 (650/person as stated) and I have filed with Travel Insurance for the balance.

We received an email yesterday that NCL will forward a check in the amount of $167.84

We are from The Netherlands and if we wanted to fly home on Nov 20 or 21 or later the price of a ticket was appr $3.000 per person!

This was explained to Mary from the NCL corporate office on board the Jade and she understood when we told her that staying in Miami was cheaper then flying back home. Our original flight was on Nov 28. So we booked extra hotel nights until Nov 26 (end of cruise) and took our oringinal flight home on Nov 28. Total out of the pocket costs were appr $1620 (meals, transportation etc included). We are platinum plus members and so dissapointed how NCL takes care of their customers. 

Edited by Curvycruising

On 12/19/2018 at 7:48 AM, bravestwj said:

I waited to book flights until Tuesday afternoon waiting on an NCL charter that we were never called for.  By that time I was purchasing a very last minute flight on the day before Thanksgiving.  Flights were $700 each plus hotel, meals and transportation.  NCL is mailing a check for $1300 (650/person as stated) and I have filed with Travel Insurance for the balance.

still doesn't make any sense. We also bought last minute tickets (MIA-ATL), and Norwegian paid for our hotel. I actually bought tickets on Expedia for the Monday night flight, which we didn't make, but Expedia has a 24 hour free cancellation policy, so we cancelled it for free. So, I booked us on a Tuesday flight and that worked.

Lake Mary, FL is right next to Orlando. It's a 4 hour drive. Do you mean to say that MIA-MCO tickets were $700 one way? Or was it San Juan to Orlando tickets?

On 12/19/2018 at 1:39 PM, Curvycruising said:

We received an email yesterday that NCL will forward a check in the amount of $167.84

We are from The Netherlands and if we wanted to fly home on Nov 20 or 21 or later the price of a ticket was appr $3.000 per person!

This was explained to Mary from the NCL corporate office on board the Jade and she understood when we told her that staying in Miami was cheaper then flying back home. Our original flight was on Nov 28. So we booked extra hotel nights until Nov 26 (end of cruise) and took our oringinal flight home on Nov 28. Total out of the pocket costs were appr $1620 (meals, transportation etc included). We are platinum plus members and so dissapointed how NCL takes care of their customers. 

I am very sorry about your expenses.... When I inquired about hotel reimbursement before we left the ship, the cruise hotel manager said that "the cruise ship was like the hotel. Since Norwegian is refunding your cruise fare completely, you just use that money to pay for a different hotel". At the time it made some sense, but Norwegian paid for 1 night at the hotel anyway, so I thought it was nice of them. 

Of course, traveling to other countries on such a short notice or staying in Miami for a week is a completely different cup of tea , and requires a LOT more money. I think they should reimburse people from other countries a lot more than a mere $650.

Our expenses were only $175 pp to get home (quite surprisingly, I must say). Norwegian should take the difference between that and $650 and use it reimburse people who had to travel abroad or stay in Miami waiting for their original flights home.

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

On 12/19/2018 at 12:39 PM, Curvycruising said:

Didn't NCL Credit everyone for this Cruise. If they did wouldn't that credit pay for these extra hotel days.

I am not trying to be negative I was just wondering if everyone was credited for the entire cruise.

3 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

I am very sorry about your expenses.... When I inquired about hotel reimbursement before we left the ship, the cruise hotel manager said that "the cruise ship was like the hotel. Since Norwegian is refunding your cruise fare completely, you just use that money to pay for a different hotel". At the time it made some sense, but Norwegian paid for 1 night at the hotel anyway, so I thought it was nice of them. 

Of course, traveling to other countries on such a short notice or staying in Miami for a week is a completely different cup of tea , and requires a LOT more money. I think they should reimburse people from other countries a lot more than a mere $650.

Our expenses were only $175 pp to get home (quite surprisingly, I must say). Norwegian should take the difference between that and $650 and use it reimburse people who had to travel abroad or stay in Miami waiting for their original flights home.

We called again and they re-opened our case. Luckily we had proof of the ticket prices on Thanksgiving and later that week. We hope we will get at least $650 per person for the out of pocket expenses. Fingers crossed. Anyway: Merry X-mas to y'all.  

• Like 1

we came back from our make up cruise yesterday. Getaway was much better than Jade in terms of family activities. Our kiddo loved the water slides, the ropes course, the spider net and the getaway bounce. We joined in when we could, and it was a lot of fun.

The crepes were much worse on the Getaway, because she totally overcooked them, making them dry and brittle. Totally inedible. We had to ask her to cook them for half the time, and it worked like a charm. 

The rest of the food was about the same in MDR. The buffet was better in terms of food variety, but worse in terms of a layout. People kept crowding the hallways, bumping into each other, creating traffic jams where they didn't need to be. If you want eggs, hashbrowns and a bagel, you had to walk to different ends of the buffet to get them all. And no Nutella in small containers in the morning!

I'll write a short review on the main Norwegian board shortly.

On 12/24/2018 at 9:52 AM, Itchy&Scratchy said:

They got their money back for the cruise. That is the money they should use to cover hotel and food until their scheduled flight home. To ask NCL to reimburse is double dipping

6 minutes ago, purpleally said:

They got their money back for the cruise. That is the money they should use to cover hotel and food until their scheduled flight home. To ask NCL to reimburse is double dipping

still doesn't sound fair. Finding a reasonably priced hotel in Miami during a Thanksgiving week on a very short notice until your flight home to another country is no easy task. I got ALL of our money back and a credit, and it's all because I live in Atlanta. This PP lives in another country on another continent altogether, and getting there is so much more expensive than to ATL... Why wouldn't he get ALL of his money back either? Doesn't seem fair. 

Edited by Itchy&Scratchy

7 hours ago, Itchy&Scratchy said:

still doesn't sound fair. Finding a reasonably priced hotel in Miami during a Thanksgiving week on a very short notice until your flight home to another country is no easy task. I got ALL of our money back and a credit, and it's all because I live in Atlanta. This PP lives in another country on another continent altogether, and getting there is so much more expensive than to ATL... Why wouldn't he get ALL of his money back either? Doesn't seem fair. 

Totally agree! Haven't heard yet from NCL but at least they re-opend the case. We were on the Getaway a couple of years ago. Nice ship. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, purpleally said:

NCL did not hand out money as people got off the ship. Passengers were promised a refund. Suggesting that passengers should finance the last minute purchase of flights, hotels, and restaurants at the busiest travel time of the year (read most expensive) and then use their vacation money to cover this is far from equitable.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, broberts said:

NCL did not hand out money as people got off the ship. Passengers were promised a refund. Suggesting that passengers should finance the last minute purchase of flights, hotels, and restaurants at the busiest travel time of the year (read most expensive) and then use their vacation money to cover this is far from equitable.

I know they did not hand out money

the Cruise was refunded on their credit card

they also used a credit card for their extra days in Florida and are expecting a second reimbursement for the same vacation week

thus, double dipping

it is equitable because the bottom line is they are using vacation money that was earmarked for the cruise which they are getting back

why should they get double money?

5 minutes ago, purpleally said:

I know they did not hand out money

the Cruise was refunded on their credit card

they also used a credit card for their extra days in Florida and are expecting a second reimbursement for the same vacation week

thus, double dipping

it is equitable because the bottom line is they are using vacation money that was earmarked for the cruise which they are getting back

why should they get double money?

perhaps, hotels in somewhere Michigan are cheaper than hotels in Miami during Thanksgiving week?

And the refund didn't arrive right away, so it took awhile to get that money back. Plus, using a credit card abroad usually costs extra money.