Can I board a closed loop cruise with ONLY a passport

neminem

I'm super confused, because I seem to be seeing all kinds of conflicting information. I booked a cruise months ago, and obviously had both a passport and a driver's license. I had both until last night, when, after already flying out of state on my way to the cruise in a few days, I lost my driver's license - and only my driver's license. I still have my passport. I also have a passport card, as well as a Global Entry card. Some official Celebrity information seems to indicate that if it's a closed loop (which it is, it's San Juan to San Juan), I don't need a passport but do need a "government issued photo ID", while other also-official Celebrity information seems to indicate that I need one or the other, and having both is just "suggested". A lot of questions have been asked about whether people need passports or not, but I have a passport, it's the "government issued photo ID" I don't have.

Or, the second question is... do I? It's also equally unclear whether having a Global Entry card and/or a passport card would count as "government issued photo ID" for the purposes of secondary verification - they are certainly government issued, and are both cards I can use as photo id for TSA purposes, but I'm worried whether they're "government issued photo ID" as far as cruises are concerned? I really don't want to get to the cruise port and learn I'm not allowed on, but I also can't really fly back to California at this point. I'd love some peace of mind - thanks! (That said I'm also going to call Celebrity tomorrow.)

Would be insane if cruises that end in a foreign country had fewer requirements than ones that don't, but I know bureaucracy doesn't always work on total logic.

Edited by neminem

Thanks, that makes me feel a lot better (though I'm still worried about some first-line checkin guy who doesn't believe that, but at that point, if that is actually true, presumably their manager would be able to set them straight.) Just because I'm super paranoid, I don't suppose you have anything (preferably from Celebrity) explicitly stating that? If not, that's fine, your assertive statement is lowering my stress a lot already, but it would be nice. 

I need this cruise badly now, after the stress of today and discovering I'd misplaced my ID. >.> (Just glad I had my passport card on me, since I don't carry my actual passport around, and I discovered it when I went to give my ID to a bartender!)

6 hours ago, Elaine5715 said:

You are fine.  Use the card in ports in place of your driver's license.  

Plus 1. I can't remember the last time we took  our driver's licenses on a cruise. We always take our  passports (usually surrendered to ship's purser) and our passport cards (for government ID ashore where required).

• Like 1

While I always carry my drivers license, for my last several cruises the only document I’ve presented is my passport. A passport is issued by the US government and has your photo on it; therefore it is ‘government issued photo id’. There’s nothing for the check in guy to not understand about that.

Edited by sanger727
  • Like 1

Haha, awesome. I feel both sufficiently dumb, and more importantly, sufficiently relieved. That is plenty of agreement that I will not have a problem boarding. Thanks! You can stop telling me I was being unnecessarily paranoid now 😄

Hi

You don't need a secondary verification ID because you have a passport. That is all you need to board the ship. That is all any non US citizen would need as well, unless there were special visa requirements.

The only reason you were told that a government issued picture ID was required (that would include a passport), is because you need one as well as your ship Sail & Sign card to return to the ship at ports of call. If you had no other picture ID, then you would need to carry your passport at your ports of call...not your situation.

have a great cruise

• Like 1

Awesome! Thanks especially for that last answer, that was the one I was looking for especially, because it eliminates the confusion about both why it states that a second form of id is highly recommended, and also why it's only highly recommended rather than required. Perfect! (Why couldn't they just say that? :D)

(Now I can just skip to the part about worrying about how I'm going to get to work/to the dmv to replace my license when I get home, but at least I'll definitively have a great relaxing cruise first.)

Edited by neminem

34 minutes ago, neminem said:

Awesome! Thanks especially for that last answer, that was the one I was looking for especially, because it eliminates the confusion about both why it states that a second form of id is highly recommended, and also why it's only highly recommended rather than required. Perfect! (Why couldn't they just say that? :D)

(Now I can just skip to the part about worrying about how I'm going to get to work/to the dmv to replace my license when I get home, but at least I'll definitively have a great relaxing cruise first.)

Can you order a replacement license online?  If so, do it before you leave, and you'll have it waiting when you return.

GC

Nope - California requires you to visit a California DMV in person to get a replacement or even a temporary, which is super lame of them. They didn't used to even be open on Saturday, which was exceptionally lame. Now they're open on Saturday, which is generally awesome, but totally unhelpful in this specific instance, since they're only open until 5, and I touch down at the airport at 7:30. Oh well - I'll figure something out (that something might be suck it up and take crummy public transit to work for a week, and learn my lesson about always paying super close attention to my id. And be super jealous of cities that have decent public transit. Living in SoCal is awesome for a ton of reasons, but that is one not so great thing.)

Edited by neminem

55 minutes ago, neminem said:

Nope - California requires you to visit a California DMV in person to get a replacement or even a temporary, which is super lame of them. They didn't used to even be open on Saturday, which was exceptionally lame. Now they're open on Saturday, which is generally awesome, but totally unhelpful in this specific instance, since they're only open until 5, and I touch down at the airport at 7:30. Oh well - I'll figure something out (that something might be suck it up and take crummy public transit to work for a week, and learn my lesson about always paying super close attention to my id. And be super jealous of cities that have decent public transit. Living in SoCal is awesome for a ton of reasons, but that is one not so great thing.)

You should be fine to still drive to work and to the DMV....you just lost the physical lic...it has not been suspended or revoked by the state. (I assume).   Should you get pulled over for some reason all they have to do is run your name and they will see you have a valid license.  Now, I wouldn't do it for a long time, but a few days won't be a big deal.  (It happened to me last year, my wallet got stolen on a friday night and had to wait till mon to get lic replaced.  Except for the aggravation and having to replace the credit cards it was not a big deal.)

Edited by TruckerDave

2 hours ago, Nic6318 said:

The only reason you were told that a government issued picture ID was required (that would include a passport), is because you need one as well as your ship Sail & Sign card to return to the ship at ports of call. If you had no other picture ID, then you would need to carry your passport at your ports of call...not your situation.

Some ports require that you have a picture ID in addition to your ship ID to reboard. But others, like many islands in the South Pacific, could care less.

12 hours ago, neminem said:

I'm super confused, because I seem to be seeing all kinds of conflicting information. I booked a cruise months ago, and obviously had both a passport and a driver's license. I had both until last night, when, after already flying out of state on my way to the cruise in a few days, I lost my driver's license - and only my driver's license. I still have my passport. I also have a passport card, as well as a Global Entry card. Some official Celebrity information seems to indicate that if it's a closed loop (which it is, it's San Juan to San Juan), I don't need a passport but do need a "government issued photo ID", while other also-official Celebrity information seems to indicate that I need one or the other, and having both is just "suggested". A lot of questions have been asked about whether people need passports or not, but I have a passport, it's the "government issued photo ID" I don't have.

Or, the second question is... do I? It's also equally unclear whether having a Global Entry card and/or a passport card would count as "government issued photo ID" for the purposes of secondary verification - they are certainly government issued, and are both cards I can use as photo id for TSA purposes, but I'm worried whether they're "government issued photo ID" as far as cruises are concerned? I really don't want to get to the cruise port and learn I'm not allowed on, but I also can't really fly back to California at this point. I'd love some peace of mind - thanks! (That said I'm also going to call Celebrity tomorrow.)

Would be insane if cruises that end in a foreign country had fewer requirements than ones that don't, but I know bureaucracy doesn't always work on total logic.

You can take any cruise with just a passport and any necessary visas. Based on the description OP is a US citizen since Op has a passport card, so no visa s are need on a closed loop cruise out of San Juan. Since you have passport card, use it as a photo ID. There is NEVER a requirement that you have a drivers license on any cruise, or to get in any port, yuou just need any type of government issue ID with a picture.

Have a great voyage,

Edited by zqvol

2 minutes ago, zqvol said:

You can take any cruise with just a passport and any necessary visas. Based on the description OP is a US citizen since Op has a passport card, so no visa s are need on a closed loop cruise out of San Juan.

That may be true on Celebrity but there are some cruise lines that require ALL passengers on ALL itineraries to have (and often surrender) a valid passport.. 

52 minutes ago, cb at sea said:

If you have a DL, bring that to carry ashore as ID...it's easier than carrying your passport, especially if you're doing any water activities....your DL can get wet...your passport cannot!

Did you somehow miss the multiple posts (including the first one), where the OP stated quite unequivocally  that he had LOST HIS DL??? How can he bring what he doesn't have? SMH.

• Thanks 1

Funny thing about Passport cards vs drivers licenses as picture ID when ashore.  Some ports do require that you have both your cruise card and a government issued picture ID...when you return to the port.  In my State, which is Pennsylvania, it costs $25 to replace a lost drivers license and that fee is waived if the DL was stolen and you can show a police report.  I can get my license replaced in a few hours by simply going to PennDot (who will issue a new license while I wait).  But to replace a lost or stolen Passport Card means you must first pay to get new photos, fill out the form, pay the $30 fee, and wait a few weeks to get that replacement.  In my State, once a DL has expired PennDOT simply punches a hole in the expired license, returns it, and issues a new license.  When we go ashore I normally carry one of my expired DLs...and if it is lost or stolen its no biggie.

So we cannot think of a good reason to carry a Passport Card ashore (for picture ID) versus other government ID (like an expired or valid license).  The truth is that I do not even get a Passport Card because there is no reason.  I always have a valid Passport, drivers license, and also a Global Entry Card (which is a valid government picture ID).  A Passport card is just like having a "Passport Lite" since it is not nearly as good as a Passport Book.  The only advantage to the card is that its small and very convenient for those that live near the Canadian or Mexican border.  But if we are driving to Canada we simply keep our Passports in our car's glove box.  

Hank

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Funny thing about Passport cards vs drivers licenses as picture ID when ashore.  Some ports do require that you have both your cruise card and a government issued picture ID...when you return to the port.  In my State, which is Pennsylvania, it costs $25 to replace a lost drivers license and that fee is waived if the DL was stolen and you can show a police report.  I can get my license replaced in a few hours by simply going to PennDot (who will issue a new license while I wait).  But to replace a lost or stolen Passport Card means you must first pay to get new photos, fill out the form, pay the $30 fee, and wait a few weeks to get that replacement.  In my State, once a DL has expired PennDOT simply punches a hole in the expired license, returns it, and issues a new license.  When we go ashore I normally carry one of my expired DLs...and if it is lost or stolen its no biggie.

So we cannot think of a good reason to carry a Passport Card ashore (for picture ID) versus other government ID (like an expired or valid license).  The truth is that I do not even get a Passport Card because there is no reason.  I always have a valid Passport, drivers license, and also a Global Entry Card (which is a valid government picture ID).  A Passport card is just like having a "Passport Lite" since it is not nearly as good as a Passport Book.  The only advantage to the card is that its small and very convenient for those that live near the Canadian or Mexican border.  But if we are driving to Canada we simply keep our Passports in our car's glove box.  

Hank

Maybe it's so many years of life in major metro cities and regular professional travel but, anytime we will be gone from home for an extended period, we prefer limiting the amount of personal information that could fall into the wrong hands. This is one of the unsung benefits of a passport card: no home address. 

Likewise, a passport (or anything else of value) would never be left in our car's glovebox. Broken car windows/auto burglary are far from uncommon in the the SF Bay Area.

As for the passports themselves, once we've completed international air travel and eventually checked in for a cruise, they most often are surrendered to the ship's purser. So, when we head ashore, if anything other than the ship ID card is required, we use the passport cards for govt. ID w/picture.

9 hours ago, Hlitner said:

Hank

Yes, the passport card is a niche document that isn't for everyone, but in the OP's case they already have one and they don't have a drivers license right now because they lost it. So, they can take their passport ashore if they wish (many people do) or if that discomfits them for any reason they can use their passport card as a photo ID for re-entering the port area.