Please sell us on the Rotterdam

atexsix

Dear Dad really wants to sail on an itinerary on this ship but it's age makes me nervous after back to back cruises on the Eurodam.  I'm having trouble finding current information and pictures, when was it last dry docked? Any future plans to update the ship?  I can deal with wear n tear, not looking for perfection, just general accolades about the ship if you have any to pass along.

Thank you!

Two years ago we spend 42 Wonderful days on Rotterdam.  It was a med cruise from Ft. Lauderdale we circled the Med. and came back to Ft. Lauderdale.  We love her.  Actually in 2011 we spent 30 days going to Hawaii/ Tahiti on her.  Next March we will be spending 21 days on her as we cruise the Caribbean for 14 days and then another 7 doing the Western part of the Caribbean.  She is just so solid and comforting.  Sure she doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the newer ship, but she has all that we need or are looking for in a ship.   If she went and I could afford it I would sail her around the world!  We have stayed in a balcony, lanai, and partial obstructed ocean view cabin and loved each of them  (lanai is our favorite).  She is very easy to get around on and isn't so big that it takes for ever to get there.  I hope you will try her.  I am sure you will be pleasantly surprise at how wonderful she is!

The best thing we can say about the Rotterdam is that she is relatively small :).  Once HAL "destroyed" some of the ship by replacing the aft pool with a human bird bath (so they could cram in additional cabins) they lost our support for the  vessel,  Consider over 1400 passengers with a single pool!  Put a few teens into that pool, splashing and playing, and it can make for an ugly scene.

Hank

We spent 38 days on the Rotterdam (July-August 2018) for the Voyage of the Vikings.  It had been 12 years since we last sailed her to Egypt in 2006.  I have to say this 38 days was the best we've ever had at sea.  The ship and crew were absolutely wonderful.  We had a Vista Suite and Open Dining.  No problems, not one.

We are taking Rotterdam  for the Western Caribbean cruise April 7th . We had sailed on her for a repositioning cruise years back from San Diego to Vancouver  & she sails very well in choppy waters up the coast  . Her size is  fine & things are close :classic_biggrin:

We spent 35-days on her in 2016.  We like the placement of the Explorations Cafe next to the dining room.  And the real library.

Had booked 24-days for 2019 on her, then HAL sold the Prinsendam and cancelled that cruise.

It also has three banks of elevators, which is also a plus.

Edited by knittinggirl

We too have enjoyed the Rotterdam. .....most recently in October from Montreal to Boston.  The ship is in fine shape and crew most accomodating.  The Rotterdam is a classic style ship in my opinion.  Lots of teak, beautiful Chinese antiques and oil paintings.  We first sailed her when she was brand new in an ocean view cabin from Venice to Istanbul via the Black Sea.  It was a great itinerary with the most interesting ports and passengers.  So after the refurb, I was interested in sailing her again on a charming itinerary.  This time we were able to have a Neptune suite and loved the accomodations and crew.  I would choose this ship for itinerary.....it won't be a hopping hotspot for a Carribean Spring Break week but is comfortably elegant.  The Crow's nest, piano bar and martini bar were always active and fun..  We also enjoyed the Eurodam for different reasons...loved The Tamarind restaurant and BB Kings entertainment and the Baltic ports that could accomodate this larger ship.  Such a pleasing way to travel.

The Rotterdam VI is a worthy successor to Rotterdam V of which I sailed three times during her career.

Her decor is more "world cruise worthy" than is her sister's decor, the Amsterdam.

Service, up-keep, cuisine, etc.:  there was nothing about which to complain.

5 hours ago, tampamom said:

We too have enjoyed the Rotterdam. .....most recently in October from Montreal to Boston.  The ship is in fine shape and crew most accomodating.  The Rotterdam is a classic style ship in my opinion.  Lots of teak, beautiful Chinese antiques and oil paintings.  We first sailed her when she was brand new in an ocean view cabin from Venice to Istanbul via the Black Sea.  It was a great itinerary with the most interesting ports and passengers.  So after the refurb, I was interested in sailing her again on a charming itinerary.  This time we were able to have a Neptune suite and loved the accomodations and crew.  I would choose this ship for itinerary.....it won't be a hopping hotspot for a Carribean Spring Break week but is comfortably elegant.  The Crow's nest, piano bar and martini bar were always active and fun..  We also enjoyed the Eurodam for different reasons...loved The Tamarind restaurant and BB Kings entertainment and the Baltic ports that could accomodate this larger ship.  Such a pleasing way to travel.

The last time we cruised on the Rotterdam they actually had a BB KIng Group (they played in the Crow's Nest).  But alas, that is gone along with some other things we enjoyed.

Hank

On 11/19/2018 at 1:51 PM, mcrcruiser said:

We are taking Rotterdam  for the Western Caribbean cruise April 7th . We had sailed on her for a repositioning cruise years back from San Diego to Vancouver  & she sails very well in choppy waters up the coast  . Her size is  fine & things are close :classic_biggrin:

We are taking the same cruise.  Hope to have a great time. Never sailed on the Rotterdam, but we have sailed the Veendam and Maasdam and enjoyed both.  

Rotterdam apparently was built to be the fastest ship in her class - she seems to take to the waters very well.  I don't remember any extended choppiness on her at all, though we had quite a bit on some  recent Maasdam cruises that had to plow through rough waters, strong currents and tropical storm weather. Maadam is/was not built for speed. Rotterdam is. 

Many days on the Rotterdam going all over  the world with her. Much to like, even though HAL chopped her up a bit adding aft cabins and lanais. I would not hesitate to take any cruise on her. In fact we would probably go out of our way to cruise on her again because she does get great itineraries. Northern Strongholds; London to Singapore via Suez and Indonesia; Voyage of the Vikings. All five star wows. 

41 minutes ago, BRWolf said:

We are taking the same cruise.  Hope to have a great time. Never sailed on the Rotterdam, but we have sailed the Veendam and Maasdam and enjoyed both.  

Come join us on the Roll Call for this April 7 ,2019 cruise:classic_biggrin:

I smiled the Rotterdam a year and a half ago.  I liked the size of the ship.  There seemed to be a lot of maintaining issues (leaks and worn out carpets) butthat didnt really bother me.

My major issue was the lack of aft pool.  It means the mid ship pool became very busy.  I spend most of my time on a warm cruise aft because the airflow is better and it is cooler than the mid ship area. I really missed being able to dip in the pool to cool off.  The "birdbath" was not pleasant and felt warm and dirty due to the depth.

My other complaint was lack of specialty restaurants.  I enjoy tamarind a lot.  

If neither of the above matter to you, I would say go for it.